PDA

View Full Version : Need A New Lee Press Handle Clamp

DODGEM250
01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
My handle clamp on my old Lee Challenger single stage press gave it up this afternoon. Does anyone have any idea where I might find a new one ? The only thing I see offered is a black steel block with the two holes drilled in to it. I have no idea if this new design handle clamp will work with my press design. The original pot metal part in the photo cracked clean through on both sides of the handle bar and there's no fixing this one.

mooman76
01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
That looks very similar to the old Lee Turret press handle clamp.

DODGEM250
01-29-2012, 09:20 AM
That looks very similar to the old Lee Turret press handle clamp.

I'm sure it is probably the same part. I noticed Lee uses the same clamp on both of the newer presses. I just can not find an image of the part clear enough to see what the new design part looks like installed on a press.

WILCO
01-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Does anyone have any idea where I might find a new one ?

Call LEE Precision:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30am-3:45pm Central Standard Time (CST)
phone: (262) 673-3075
fax: (262) 673-9273

jimkim
01-29-2012, 10:19 AM
They quit using that system a few years ago. They switched to steel linkages and handles. You can update your press with steel parts or order a turret press handle and ball. If you decide to update to the heavier duty parts, I think they offer the upgrade in a kit.
http://leeprecision.com/parts/reloading-presses/single-stage/breech-lock-challenger-parts/
Here are the turret press parts that you will need. The Turret press handle is in one peice, but it bolts right up where that part went.
http://leeprecision.com/lever-tp-wheelabrate.html
http://leeprecision.com/wood-knob.html

DODGEM250
01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
They quit using that system a few years ago. They switched to steel linkages and handles. You can update your press with steel parts or order a turret press handle and ball. If you decide to update to the heavier duty parts, I think they offer the upgrade in a kit.
http://leeprecision.com/parts/reloading-presses/single-stage/breech-lock-challenger-parts/
Here are the turret press parts that you will need. The Turret press handle is in one peice, but it bolts right up where that part went.
http://leeprecision.com/wood-knob.html

EXCELLENT ! That is exactly what I need. Thank You !

DODGEM250
01-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I just ordered the new handle from TitanReloading for $10.50 shipped. Thanks again for the replies.

jimkim
01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

DODGEM250
01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

A temporary fix has been put in to affect until my new handle shows up. I put the busted Lee clamp in a metal C clamp and stuck it back on the press. I just deprimed a total of 150 rounds of 300 winmag and 30-06 brass, so, it'll work fine for a few days.

I was sizing some .357/.38 bullets when it gave up the other day. It just didn't want to play nice anymore I guess, this press is old.

jimkim
01-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I just gave my 1982 Lee turret press back to the original owner, a few months ago. It has that handle you ordered. Unless you do something really heavy duty with it, it should hold up fine. I never broke anything on my turret press, and I owned it for twenty years. The hardest thing I did was form 308 and 8x57mm cases from 30-06, and 270 brass, so I may not be the best example of that lever's "tuffness".

DODGEM250
01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
This press was given to me from a member on another forum. I have no idea of what its life was like before. The handle clamp could have had much fatigue from previous use, it could have had a hairline crack in it without either of us knowing. I know the press, overall, is dated and simple, but, it does do a fine job fr the few calibers I use it for. I would like to have another press, but, this one does fine. I don't usually do all of the reloading processes at the same time. One day I will deprime all of my different brasses, next day I will prime the cases, maybe a week later I'll actually put powder in them and shove a bullet in them. It's a "whenever" thing for me.

I have done some .38/.357, 300 winmag, 270, .44 mag with this press and it has been a lot of fun, even though it's a bit more time consuming that having a nicer press that does everything at the same time like a progressive press. Honestly, I don't do enough reloading of bulk rounds to need a progressive press or anything fancier than this single stage and this is why I am so heartbroken that my press gave up.

However, I have to admit, from my mechanically inclined experience, the design of the original handle clamp is poor to begin with. It is a pressure sensitive part that is made of cheap pot metal and was prone to failure at some point anyway. It should have been made of solid aluminum or steel to begin with. Just tightening down on the retaining bolt with the washer against the handle bar is enough to break this part.

jimkim
01-30-2012, 12:37 AM
The handle you ordered has been used on the Lee Turret press from the beginning. I don't remember people breaking them. I do remember people breaking the toggles on the Challenger, but not the Turret, even though they were the same. The secret to not breaking them is to keep the bolts tight, and I think the Turret handle holds things together better than that bushing thing. It's made of the same material, but it's beefy. You should feel a difference when you tighten the bolt. To me it feels like it more evenly applies pressure to the toggle.

When or if you get ready to upgrade call Lee, tell them what you have and see what it will cost to send your press in for one of the new Breech Lock presses. They used to say half price, that would be $47.00 with your trade in.

If you decide to keep it and want a bullet proof toggle, there is a guy on eBay that sells a replacement for $15.99. I't's made of steel, and your handle(or longer piece of pipe or bar stock) will fit it without the bushing thing. I had forgotten about him, otherwise I would have suggested ordering it. Sorry for the CRS thing.

DODGEM250
02-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I received the new replacement handle last week and when I got it out of the package I held it in my hand and said, "what a cheap *** this is" I have to admit, I'm not impressed with it's quality, I really expected something more than what it is.

Basically it is a feather light, cast pot-aluminum, handle that feels like a kids toy. Might be a few ounces of metal in this thing.

However, for $10.50 shipped, you get what you pay for I guess. It does install directly to the factory teeth grooves on my old press and with some adjustment, it will lay back a few degrees further than the original handle, which is great since now I don't have to pull down as far to make the whole trip with the ram on short brass.

I did deprime about 150 .270 brass with it immediately after installing it, so, I'll either be happy with it or try something else. Who knows there might be more stamina in this handle than I expect. We'll see.

I did have to drill out the hole in my new over-sized wooden ball to fit the new handle, but, the feel of the new handle is comfortable and the over-sized ball upgrade is a big plus. The new handle has a more Right side outward position than the original handle, which was straight back and forth. Now the press feels like a slot machine.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401211_2308944702263_1808706665_1453173_1873934796 _n.jpg

jimkim
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I've never seen a black Lee. WOW! That's the same lever I used. Mine came with the old style handle. I used it for years until, like a schmuck I took it off and decided to "temporarily used it on something else. I permanently enlarged the hole and it never fit again. I ended up with the ball handle. I still like the old one mo betta' http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/4600832699_2ec4330294.jpg

DODGEM250
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I've never seen a black Lee. WOW! That's the same lever I used. Mine came with the old style handle. I used it for years until, like a schmuck I took it off and decided to "temporarily used it on something else. I permanently enlarged the hole and it never fit again. I ended up with the ball handle. I still like the old one mo betta' http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/4600832699_2ec4330294.jpg

What ? You've never seen a black Lee ????

When I got this old press, for free, the original red paint had faded to a pinkish color and some of the original paint was chipping off, so, I broke out my sandblaster and cleaned it down to mostly bare metal, filed down the factory cast lines, shot it with primer, and then broke out the powder coat nozzle and made it black. I'm not a fan of red personally, so, I made it black only because I'm out of the blue powder coat.

Also, when I was given this press, the ball was missing from the handle. So, I went to the A.C.Moore craft store and got a bigger, more comfortable wooden ball and simply drilled it to fit the old handle and painted it to match the press.

1hole
02-05-2012, 07:02 PM
"Basically it is a feather light, cast pot-aluminum, handle that feels like a kids toy. "

That clamp part breaks when the through bolt gets loose and changes the geometry of the levers pressure under continued use while loose. Keeping it tight is a user function that's not very hard to do but Lee has given up and now makes the clamps of steel.

If high grade aluminum translates to "pot metal" it would be a surprise to most of us.

Your "pot metal" would have to include scope body tubes, most rifle bottom metal, civilian and military auto rifle receivers, most high grade auto shotguns, lots of modern handgun frames, all outboard motors and most of their propellers, a lot of quite expensive and very tough boats, auto engine pistons, almost all airplanes, military missles, the gear boxes of a lot of electric power tools, some very high cost pots and pans for the kitchen, etc. (Those who actually know what "pot metal" is are aware that there's no aluminum in it.)

jimkim
02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
What ? You've never seen a black Lee ????

When I got this old press, for free, the original red paint had faded to a pinkish color and some of the original paint was chipping off, so, I broke out my sandblaster and cleaned it down to mostly bare metal, filed down the factory cast lines, shot it with primer, and then broke out the powder coat nozzle and made it black. I'm not a fan of red personally, so, I made it black only because I'm out of the blue powder coat.

Also, when I was given this press, the ball was missing from the handle. So, I went to the A.C.Moore craft store and got a bigger, more comfortable wooden ball and simply drilled it to fit the old handle and painted it to match the press.

I think it looks kool with black paint. I guess I should have clarified that.

DODGEM250
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
"Basically it is a feather light, cast pot-aluminum, handle that feels like a kids toy. "

That clamp part breaks when the through bolt gets loose and changes the geometry of the levers pressure under continued use while loose. Keeping it tight is a user function that's not very hard to do but Lee has given up and now makes the clamps of steel.

I could not get the clamp any tighter. I've only had this press about a month.

On the second part, You are so very correct. My original clamp was made of pot aluminum, not solid aluminum or steel. However, I had to go with the replacement cast pot aluminum handle because the steel handle clamp will not fit my press properly.

If high grade aluminum translates to "pot metal" it would be a surprise to most of us.

Well, please don't be shocked, but, this brand new replacement handle is cheap pot aluminum, not solid aluminum, as I would have preferred / expected.

Your "pot metal" would have to include scope body tubes, most rifle bottom metal, civilian and military auto rifle receivers, most high grade auto shotguns, lots of modern handgun frames, all outboard motors and most of their propellers, a lot of quite expensive and very tough boats, auto engine pistons, almost all airplanes, military missles, the gear boxes of a lot of electric power tools, some very high cost pots and pans for the kitchen, etc. (Thanks ?) (Those who actually know what "pot metal" is are aware that there's no aluminum in it.)

Those who know what pot metal is, also should know what pot aluminum is as well. You can refer to repairing it here (http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.asp). I'm just trying to reply with the way I understand your comments. Your intentions are not clear here.

With all of this said. I would really rather have the original handle clamp that is obviously made of more durable pot metal.

DODGEM250
02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I think it looks kool with black paint. I guess I should have clarified that.

LOL I was just kidding with you a little. I only keep certain colors of powder coat here for metal projects. I figured since anything can repainted I may as well make it black this time.

mooman76
02-05-2012, 08:58 PM
If mine ever breaks again on my turret press I will probably make something up or get the upgrade roller handle.

1hole
02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
"Those who know what pot metal is, also should know what pot aluminum is as well. You can refer to repairing it here.: This new repair technology performs well on aluminum, cast aluminum, pot metal, copper, magnesium, and all white or porous metals.'

Sooo... from that advertizing copy you have deduced that all of those metals are 'pot metal'? Not so. Nor is that 'new technology' new, such rods have been available for at least 15 years. It works well with pure (soft) alum but not the high strength hard alum alloys Lee uses, nor most of the other aluminum items I listed.

To be perfectly clear, my point is you throw the term pot metal around loosely but you don't know what it is.

:)

jimkim
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Now that you ordered that part, I find this. Sorry, I wasn't quicker. http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/5/challenger-press-toggles

DODGEM250
02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Now that you ordered that part, I find this. Sorry, I wasn't quicker. http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/5/challenger-press-toggles

Don't worry about a thing. I actually do like this new handle. I like the right hand lean and the one-piece construction. I just don't care for the light-weight cheap construction. As long as I don't try throwing a .58 minie through a .357 sizing die I'll be good.