PDA

View Full Version : damaged cylinder notches

Sixgun Symphony
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I tried to pull back on the hammer to my Italian reproduction 1860 Colt Army revolver and it would not come back. Tried again and it came back, turning the cylinder. This happened to all six chambers and I am wondering what is going on.

Then I look at the cylinder and notice that the notches are all damaged! :(

I can buy another cylinder, but what caused this problem? I don't want it to happen again.

colt 357
01-29-2012, 01:47 AM
You should be able to get a new one from dixie gun works on the web. just google them. They are good to buy from as I have many times in the past. they have about everything when it comes to blackpowder. I was lucky and picked up a extra cylinder for mine at a gun show for $15.00 used but was like new.
As for the problem the cylinder stop that keeps the cylinder from turning when firing is probably froze up. Either rusty or a build up of powder residue. You well have to take the frame apart and clean and oil the parts inside. Check for any broken parts.
I beleve dixie gun works also has diagrams to help you with taking it apart and putting it back together.
My guess it just needs cleaning.

44man
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Have to watch the Colts. If you put the wedge in too tight the cylinder might bind at the back of the barrel. That puts too much force on the ratchet and hand.
I take it the "notches" you refer to is the ratchet that turns the cylinder.
Lack of lube increases wear, even on the cylinder pin because a fouled pin also puts force on the hand. Put STP on the pin and ratchet.
Speed cocking a revolver increases wear.
Other parts might be fouled badly or broken.

Sixgun Symphony
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks, I will dissasemble and see whats inside.

Mike 56
01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Sounds like the hand spring is broken. You can make a new one out of a bobby pin. As far as the cylinder notches this usually caused the bolt being too large for the cylinder notches. a lot of the bolts come with just a little tapper not fitted. I will look for the how-to on fitting the bolt and post it later. Some times you can clean up the cylinder notches and save the cylinder.

Mike 56
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Here is a link on tuning Colt cap and ball revolvers.
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf