PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a Mosin Nagant

Pigslayer
01-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I need help here. I have a good shooting Mosin & want to scope it. My eyes are 59 years old & undergoing cataract surgery. That being said, should I use a Long Eye Relief Scope or should I mount a standard scope? I'm looking for suggestions. Feel free to comment please!:killingpc

303british.com
01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Just my opinion, but I cannot get used to having a scope forward on the barrel. My vote is for a std scope.

Hang Fire
01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Scout scope is much less hassle to mount. Scout scoping methods are now currently being discussed in multiple threads here on CB.

I like the scout scope concept, with little practice is now much more natural for me. Keep both eyes open and on target, scout scoped rifle naturally mounts to the shoulder with cross hairs dead on.

In most instances, a riser cheek piece is required to get a repeatable cheek weld each time.

littlejack
01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Pigslayer:
I sporterized a M44 a few years ago. I mounted a Leupold Rifleman 2x7 power scope on it with a B-Square mount. It is mounted above the action, as I do not like the scout scope look.
But, to each his own.
I have a small China made drill press that worked very well. The mount was easy to drill and
tap the action for.
A person could get by with w lower x scope, but I wanted the ability to shoot flies at 25 to
50 yardswith cast, as well as 100 yard paper targets with cast.
It will also be very useful in the deer woods. It shoots jacketed very very accurately.
Jack

KCSO
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
My eyes aren't the best anymore either but I can get along fine with a scout scope. I have a 2.5x on my Mosin and it works for me. If yo do go to the regular scope don't get the cheapie mount but go with a good side mount.

Hang Fire
01-29-2012, 01:10 AM
This is a pre bubbarized Tula I scout scoped.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010313.jpg[/QUOTE]

Pigslayer
01-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys. I have decided to go with the Scout scope. Have ordered a good mount & now am looking at scopes. Want something to do the job & not break the bank. I already have Nikon & Leupold on other rifles but hey, this is a $84.00 Mosin!
NC Star scope is definitly a NO GO. Too many bad reviews with that one. But am looking closely at a BSA Edge 2-7x32 Long Eye relief. Got good reviews on that scope. Any comments. Pros? Cons?

Pigslayer
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Got my scope mount for my Mosin today. It fits in the rear sight channel (with the sight & spring removed). This mount is going to be VERY solid and effortless to install. I'll show pics later. Nothing cheap about it.

milsurp mike
02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I got a Bsquare and a Cheap scope from a member here.I tighten the Heck out of the Sockethead screws and it is a very solid.It looks funny with the scout scope mounted on the rear sight.I put it on a 1943 91 30 and it shoot good for a war time rifle.I got 4 in groups with my reloads consisting of pulldown Bulgarian powder and the heavy 184 gr.Milsurp bullets.I reduced my loads by 10% and I think with a rest and some tweaking it will do better.I am going to play with powders and some modern bullets and cast and see what it will do,Mike

Josh Smith
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Hello,

Try this:

http://www.smith-sights.com/brassstacker.php
(bottom of page and background)

Alternatively, you can put a PE or PU 'scope on it. You will need to have a bent handle installed into your bolt body, and if you go with a PU 'scope, you will need to shim the mount if you want the crosshairs (actually a post reticule on most reproductions) to be centered.

If I recall correctly, the PU 'scope had rather coarse adjustments of 7MOAx3MOA or so.

Regards,

Josh

Pigslayer
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I got a Bsquare and a Cheap scope from a member here.I tighten the Heck out of the Sockethead screws and it is a very solid.It looks funny with the scout scope mounted on the rear sight.I put it on a 1943 91 30 and it shoot good for a war time rifle.I got 4 in groups with my reloads consisting of pulldown Bulgarian powder and the heavy 184 gr.Milsurp bullets.I reduced my loads by 10% and I think with a rest and some tweaking it will do better.I am going to play with powders and some modern bullets and cast and see what it will do,Mike

I haven't shot any of my cast bullets yet. Weather hasn't permitted going to the range. I have shot some Privi Partisan 150 gr SP with open sights at 50 yards. I was getting 2" groups with cataract laden eyes.
As of late have been undergoing cataract surgery. The right eye is done with 20/15 vision. I go to have the left eye done on 2/6. Gee! New eyes & a scope should turn out some worthy results at 100 yds.! Ya think?
I have been told that a Bsquare mount is a worthwhile investment. What scope did you use?? I'm still shopping for one.

bobvonb
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
has no one suggested the jmeck no-drill mounts??? Google Jmeck Scope Mounts.

MtGun44
02-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Has anyone here installed one of the reproductions of the original WW2 sniper mount
and PU scope?

Bill

toolz568
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I installed a S&K for my M39 and it is rock solid and not a mark on my rifle. I like the long relief a lot. No drilling and tapping or bolt bending required, just make sure you buy a quality mount.

Arnie
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I have installed two of the PU mounts .Not bad if you have a decent drill press and a good vise .I bought them from Accumounts ,also available on Ebay. I have two of these Advanced Rifle Parts but havent tried them yet .Looks like a good way to go and not have to use a pistol scope or do any drilling http://advancedrifleparts.com/installation.html Arnie

milsurp mike
02-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I just used a Bsquare mount and so far it is great.Cheap and no drill attaches to rear sight.Mike

Pigslayer
02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I installed my scout scope mount on my Mosin today. Rock solid! I attached a picture of one with the scope attached. Mine is black anodized though. See second picture. Very easy to install. Just need a drill press & patience. Pretty slick huh?

Pigslayer
02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Shimmed my Trigger Spring by using the round tab of a wire terminal end. It's a hair over 1/32" thick. Reduced the heavy trigger pull by a couple of pounds. Ordered a trigger spring to take the slop/slack out of the trigger. One must be careful in doing this and it's done at one's own risk. To thick a shim can cause an unwanted/premature ignition.
There is a seller on ebay that is selling spring washers for $5.00 each and inplies that they are made for the Mosin. Actually they are nothing more than a spring washer that can be bought at McMaster-Carr.com @ $6.50 for 50 pcs..
Should anyone need a replacement for a "Lost" Trigger pin (yes I lost mine), a #20 (.161) drill bit shank fits perfectly.

Pigslayer
02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
New Rings Arrived & they are junk. Fleabay go figure! Bad threads on the screws & holes not tapped all the way through. Won't even make the effort to send them back. I knew better. Ordered a set of Weaver High Top Mount rings. Will I ever learn?

justashooter
02-06-2012, 07:14 PM
not to rain, but to remind that the traditional answer was to mount the scope offset to the left by about an inch and use a left eye alignment. did this on a carcano a month or so and like it much.

of course, it was free. the mount was a piece of 1/8 X 3 steel flat bar bent into a zigzag on the bench vise and drilled to take an AR carry handle mount scope base. i tack welded the front of it to the siderail, mounted the scope, twisted the base into alignment while boresighting on a fork in a tree 200 yards away, and added a second weld on the other end. bingo.

Pigslayer
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
not to rain, but to remind that the traditional answer was to mount the scope offset to the left by about an inch and use a left eye alignment. did this on a carcano a month or so and like it much.

of course, it was free. the mount was a piece of 1/8 X 3 steel flat bar bent into a zigzag on the bench vise and drilled to take an AR carry handle mount scope base. i tack welded the front of it to the siderail, mounted the scope, twisted the base into alignment while boresighting on a fork in a tree 200 yards away, and added a second weld on the other end. bingo.

Pics please! LOL

plmitch
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Pics please! LOL

I'll second that! I'd like to se a pic of that please.

Pigslayer
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM

The "traditional answer" to the scope mounting that you mention in your post . . . although "traditional" is "moot" in my case. I am not only right handed but also "Right Eye Dominant". Ocular dominance plays a very big role in how one shoots. Especially with open sights. Absolute & Predominant sight dictates that one "should" shoot with both eyes open which is perfect for the centrally mounted scout scope.
I am comfortable with either my left eye closed or both eyes open when shooting. Actually, I do prefer both eyes open . . . it's more relaxed for me.
You, on the other hand may be either "cross dominant" or have "central vision".
For a long time I always closed my left eye when shooting. I shot well but my body seemed to be fighting it. I found that it just seems natural to have both eyes open.
Again, as far as "Tradition" is concerned, it is "moot" to me. I am not a purist . . . by a long shot. If I, in this case, were to be held hostage to tradition . . . the rifle may as well stay in the gun safe. Or better yet . . . at the gun shop where it was purchased.

Janoosh
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I have mounted a PU scope (original w/mount) to a Mosin and it is offset to the left. I just use a garand cheekpad. Weren't Garands also offset? I thought the discussion was going towards how well people shoot with both eyes colsed (LoL). I also learned to shoot "both eyes open". I was taught that closing one eye limits the amount of light to the other because the open eye isn't all the way open.Williams makes a side mount for Mosin's. I have a mixmaster Mosin I'm thinking of scoping it this way.

Pigslayer
02-09-2012, 07:51 PM

I'm confused, did you actually "weld" this mount to the Mosin action?? Pics please. I guess I don't understand where a "welder" comes into play in installing a scope mount. I would really like to see this.

wallenba
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
If you do get a scout mount and you get it from S&K, get the Weaver style and save some aggravation. The S&K style is more aesthetically pleasing, but difficult to set up and uses only their rings which are 1''. I found the Millet Red Dot with the 1'' tube easier on my eyes than a scope, and it won't cost more than your Mosin. They look good on the rifle, and you can keep both eyes open.

Also, if your Mosin was made DURING WWII, there is a likelyhood that your rear sight base is not soldered to the barrel. Find and remove the small set screw under the rear of the tang and drift out the pin to find out. If it is not soldered, 11mm tip off rings will go right on the groove. (you would need high mount rings)

ilcop22
02-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I went old fashioned and put a PU on mine.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Nosferatu1022/IMG_1111.jpg

It was a real pain in the ***. Either get an aftermarket mount (I also have this one: http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&itemno=MNT-MNTR01) or just buy a Sniper model; they'll run you about the same price you would pay for the PU scope and mount. Modern scopes are such a Godsend.

Hang Fire
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
wallenba

Also, if your Mosin was made DURING WWII, there is a likelyhood that your rear sight base is not soldered to the barrel. Find and remove the small set screw under the rear of the tang and drift out the pin to find out. If it is not soldered, 11mm tip off rings will go right on the groove. (you would need high mount rings)

Izzy rear sights were mounted with two pins, and sometimes a little solder. Tula pinned their sights for a very short period, then went back to soft soldering them on the dovetail.

That small set screw you referenced has an almost nonexistent slot, which will most always break off.

On my prebubbabed Tula, I milled out the set screw and then applied a little heat, when the soft solder flowed, just pushed sight off forward. Used the 11 mm dovetail to weaver mount and couldn't be more satisfied with the set up.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010313.jpg