PDA

View Full Version : Problems with getting caps onto 1860 & Dragoon revolvers

Sixgun Symphony
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
The nipples on the percussion revolvers are supposed to take #10 caps, but it's very difficult to get them to slide all the way on and I get many misfires due to the caps not being seated all the way on the nipples.

The #11 caps are too large and they slide off.

Since the nipples on the Italian reproduction revolvers are not of uniform size, where do I buy quality nipples that will take the size 10 caps?

Ragnarok
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Everybody tells me Impco(I think that's the brand) from a muzzle-loader supply.

I just got a Dragoon myself..and the #11 are big...and the #10 caps are tight...tight is what you want. I dug around in my muzzle-loading stuff and found an inline capper that would cope with the #10 caps. The capper gives me enough 'leverage' to force the caps on good.

You can also try different brand caps...even the same size caps have a different fit. The #10 RWS caps fit pretty good

Maven
01-28-2012, 07:41 PM
That should be AMpco and they make excellent nipples. Also, check Track of the Wolf for nipples for that particular (i.e., by brand or manufacturer) revolver.

NickSS
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a very usual problem with Italian made C&B revolvers and trying to use US made caps on them. First the nipples are made to fit Italian made no 11 caps which are slighly smaller in ID than US made No. 11s and US made No 10s are slightly too small in ID. There are three fixes for this problem. One buy Italian No.11 caps. They used to be available everywhere but not anymore (at least I have not been able to find any in the last 10 years). Two take your nipples out and chuck them up in a drill and with a piece of sand paper held against the nipple with a piece of wood run the drill until you cand slip on a No 10 cap. Do the same for each nipple. Or Three buy US No 11 nipples from Track of the Wolf and screw them in and problem is solved.

Sixgun Symphony
01-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the information. I will try sanding them first as I have boxes of #10 caps.