PDA

View Full Version : Kent Lomont dead at 66

John Ross
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
The shooting community lost one of its titans last night at about 6:30 Mountain Time when Kent Lomont died at the age of 66. Kent was in a facility in Missoula, Montana where he died of bone cancer, which had been diagnosed about 6 months ago.

Kent, originally from Fort Wayne, Indiana, moved to Salmon, Idaho in the 1990s to be where he and his father had spent summer vacations and visited with Elmer Keith starting in 1960.

In recent years, Kent was recognized as this country's most knowledgeable hands-on authority on machine guns and cannons, with more experience at rebuilding and making functional every type of full auto weapon ever made than any other living person. At machine gun shoots such as Knob Creek, Kentucky, it was a common sight to see Kent behind a Browning .30 or .50 cal., a Belgian MAG-58, or an FN Type D BAR, the barrel glowing cherry red as the gun poured round after round downrange without a stoppage.

Prior to his involvement with full auto arms, Kent was instrumental in providing development work for the late Harry Sanford, inventor of the original Auto Mag handgun, and Kent won the Townsend Whelen award for writing by the Gun Digest for an article he penned for that publication, describing his efforts in this area.

Before that, Kent held the distinction of sending more guns back to the Smith & Wesson factory for rebuild than any other customer in the company's history, and was the Indiana distributor for Lakeville Arms (Jim Harvey) products at the age of twelve while he was in the eighth grade.

Kent is survived by his sister Cindy, his four children, Lane, Jill, Chris, and Molly, stepdaughters Candy and Sherry, and ex-wives Kathy, Shirley, and Mary Lou.

We are diminished.

rockrat
01-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Condolences to his family.

We lost so much knowledge with his passing. The C3 world lost its "Elmer Keith" so to speak

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I met him twice. He was a true character and one that will be missed.

45nut
01-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Never a good time to lose such a resource of skills and knowledge,, a real value to us all and one that will be missed.

frankenfab
01-28-2012, 08:53 PM
RIP, Kent. I never met him, I read and heard about him alot.

BarryinIN
01-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Wow. I didn't know he had been ill.
I hated it when he left this area several years ago. The gun shows just weren't the same without him.

Any time I saw him or thought about him, I'd remember that picture from the early 70s Gun Digest AutoMag two-part series where he is shooting one AM, has another in a belt holster, a third stuck in his belt, and maybe another still somewhere in there.

He'll be missed, but recalled with a smile.

I always wondered if the character in Unintended Consequences (whose name escapes me) that Henry Bowman met for the annual prairie dog hunt was based at least partially on Kent.

Don Purcell
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm Speechless. Considered Kent my friend. He made a big difference in my life in going for more than you think you can. There is a great void that can't be filled.

Johnk454
01-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Sad news indeed.

I met Kent at the 1st Linebaugh Seminar. Great story teller and really enjoyed watching people shoot his guns - including his Steyr-Solothurn 20mm. Can still see that old S&W Mod 29 in an even older, almost shapeless holster.

The man enjoyed life like few I've seen.

John Ross
01-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Us prepping dynamite
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/JohnRoss_07/scan0028.jpg

With his dad Allen and Elmer Keith
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/JohnRoss_07/scan0023.jpg

With me in 1976
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/JohnRoss_07/scan0007.jpg

Don Purcell
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Now that's some tough looking hombres! As was said before, we who knew him will remember him with a smile and in the end that's probably the best tribute we can give. John, if you have more picures please post them. As Kent would always say at the end of a phone call "Keep your powder dry" - Don

BarryinIN
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
He always looked the same. I first saw him maybe 1982, and last saw him when he left IN in the late 90s. Every picture I saw from before or since, he never changed. I could pick him right out every time.