PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Hand Priming Tool...

BCB
01-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I recently purchased a large amount of reloading stuff—bullets, boolits, powder, and the actual reloading equipment of many brands…

I got an RCBS Hand Priming Tool with it and I thought—“This has to be better than the Lee hand priming tool that I have been using for most of my reloading career—40+ years"…
(But, the Lee hand primer has worked very well and I purchased spare parts years ago)

So, I got the RCBS out of the box and got if figured out—maybe…

It is certainly awkward as compared to the Lee…

But, here is my question: The primer rod falls out if it is tipped too far to the side. Is this the way it is to be, or do I have it together incorrectly?...

I think it is together as the exploded diagram shows…

Hmmmmmmmmm…

Thanks…BCB

cajun shooter
01-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I've used the RCBS for years and now use the one with the removable for filling pan. I just checked it and yes the priming pin will fall out. If used in a normal manner this is a no issue. I usually am sitting down and holding the primer tool in a upright position.
I'm too old to hang upside down while priming. (MEANT AS FRIENDLY JOKE).
I also have a Lee and if you do a side by side the newer RCBS tool is much longer with better hand fit. The lee is smaller and harder to load primers as the holder is smaller on the Lee also. A few sessions will show that while the Lee will work it's not up to the standards of the RCBS.

BCB
01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I've used the RCBS for years and now use the one with the removable for filling pan. I just checked it and yes the priming pin will fall out. If used in a normal manner this is a no issue. I usually am sitting down and holding the primer tool in a upright position.
I'm too old to hang upside down while priming. (MEANT AS FRIENDLY JOKE).
I also have a Lee and if you do a side by side the newer RCBS tool is much longer with better hand fit. The lee is smaller and harder to load primers as the holder is smaller on the Lee also. A few sessions will show that while the Lee will work it's not up to the standards of the RCBS.

I agree on the "hanging upside down"! Even 30 years ago I couldn't have done that!!!...

I was just messing with it to try to get the way it was put together and how it might work and the dang priming rod kept falling out. I then thought I may not have something in place correctly...

Will prime a few more cases with it to see if I can get the "feel" for it...

Thanks...BCB

Firebricker
01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I like my RCBS better than the Lee I had it worked good but the RCBS fits me better. FB

303british.com
01-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I think that's the key - how the priming tool fits in your hand.

220swiftfn
01-29-2012, 02:05 AM
You could put a SMALL dab of grease or bullet lube on the bottom of the rod to keep it captive, just remember that you have to remove the rod to change the shellholder.....

Dan

BCB
02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Found another thing annoying about this priming tool...

Seems only RCBS and maybe Lyman shell holders will fit because of the bevel at the base of the holder...

Lee has too small of a bevel and it would set down on the plastic insert far enough to allow it to go in place on the priming tool...

Anyone else have this problem or a fix?...

Tried drilling the bevel larger and deeper, but I haven't a bit that will drill that hardened steel...

So far, I am not a fan of this priming tool...

BCB

cheese1566
02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I found older RCBS shellholders that don't have the bottom bevel. I thought maybe something was wrong at first as it wasn't going together like it should from small to large primers.

BCB
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I found older RCBS shellholders that don't have the bottom bevel. I thought maybe something was wrong at first as it wasn't going together like it should from small to large primers.

So you are saying that the older RCBS with no bevel bottom won't work at all?...

The Lee that I have been trying to use have a smaller bevel bottom than my RCBS holders that will work...

BCB

40Super
02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
My RCBS primer can use all RCBS and Hornady shellholders(don't have any Lyman).I have some Lee holders and one or two fit the others don't.Seems to me the Lees vary.

Mk42gunner
02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
I use several Lee shellholders with my RCBS hand priming tool. I bought two sets of Lee shellholders back in the early 90's and haven't had a problem with them. I also have some newer ones that I bought because the ones in the sets don't fit all the oddball calibers I shoot.

Yes the pushrod will fall out if you tip it too far; but it also lets you know the shellholder and plastic guide are in the right position. If the rod doesn't slide freely, you need to move the shellholder assembly until it does.

I like to use mine over an ammo can, that way I can prime a case and let it fall in the can when I release pressure on the lever. Then just insert another case.

Robert

Char-Gar
02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I have been using the RCBS hand priming tool for 25 years for all of my priming with 100% satisfaction. My thoughts on this thread are:

1. Sure the rod will come out if you turn it upside down, that is how you get it out to change shell holders or go from large to small primers.

2. I have never had the priming rod come out unless I wanted it to.

3. I have RCBS shell holders of all vintage plus a few Pacific and and couple of Lee and they all work just fine in the tool.

r1kk1
02-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I love mine with the universal shell holder and strip feed. Great tool. I use it when out hunting varmints and range testing.

The "little dab will do ya" of grease works ok.

take care,

r1kk1

Ilwil
02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I recently picked up an RCBS hand primer, and found half of my RCBS shell holders will not work. I had to buy new holders to use it in all the calibers I load. I was not too happy about it. In my opinion, this tool has a longer learning curve to use it well, but cause of its complexity, but it does do a good job. However, the Lee tool, at least the old one,does a great job, is simpler, rugged, and certainly cheaper.

BCB
02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I recently picked up an RCBS hand primer, and found half of my RCBS shell holders will not work. I had to buy new holders to use it in all the calibers I load. I was not too happy about it. In my opinion, this tool has a longer learning curve to use it well, but cause of its complexity, but it does do a good job. However, the Lee tool, at least the old one,does a great job, is simpler, rugged, and certainly cheaper.

Yep, I agree...

Am am glad I got mine when I purchased a large quantity of reloading stuff/powder/bullets/etc. that a person had for sale...

If I would have paid full price for it, I only have a few shell holders that seem to want to work. And I have every (well, maybe not quit) shell holder needed to reload probably 95% of all brass. Got all the Lee's, many RCBS and many Lyman...

But, only a few work in the RCBS priming tool...

Shame on RCBS for making the plastic inserts so it will only take their shell holders and then it seems only a certain few also...

And so it goes...

BCB

Pig Train Caboose
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
My Lee shell holder fits fairly well into my RCBS hand primer.

BCB
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
My Lee shell holder fits fairly well into my RCBS hand primer.

I tried a couple and didn't have good success...

But, I will try them again...

RCBS, of course, do work...

But, I wonder if there were different sized primer feeds made at various times of manufacture?...

I sure don't want to purchase all RCBS shellholders...

Thanks...BCB

bbq223
03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I like my RCBS, Had a Lee, Handle broke on me. I have abused the RCBS. It just gos,

QUON
03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I have used the RCBS hand pimer for many years, YES! There is a problem with older RCBS shell holders without the beval. Sent about 20 of them back to RCBS for an even exchange. The same problem also for the APS priming system.

BCB
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I have used the RCBS hand pimer for many years, YES! There is a problem with older RCBS shell holders without the beval. Sent about 20 of them back to RCBS for an even exchange. The same problem also for the APS priming system.

I read you PM and I agree that RCBS would probably make it right...

The only problem is that I have shell holders made by Lyman and Lee also...

So, I guess my hand primer really becomes worthless unless I purchase all new RCBS shell holders...

And I am certain that isn't gonna happen...

I am glad I got it with a purchase that included many reloading supplies and I just didn't purchase it as a single component...

Oh well, now I guess other people will know what to expect if they purchase an RCBS hand priming tool...

Better have new RCBS shell holders...

Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for all the replies...

BCB

C.F.Plinker
03-27-2012, 10:10 PM
IOh well, now I guess other people will know what to expect if they purchase an RCBS hand priming tool...

Better have new RCBS shell holders...

Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for all the replies...

BCB

If you are buying new and don't have RCBS shell holders look at the RCBS Universal Priming Tool. It is more expensive to start with but doesn't need shell holders.

Fishman
03-28-2012, 06:42 AM
My Rcbs priming tool, bought in the mid-90's, works with every shellholder I have ever put in it. It is a great piece of equipment. Most of my shellholders are Lee, but I do have some Rcbs as well.

Mal Paso
03-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Lee sells 2 different sets of shell holders. I bought the Universal Shell Holder Set which does fit the RCBS Primer Tool (and a lot of Presses) for around $20.

That little rod has 2 different ends. Flat end toward primer.

BCB
03-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Lee sells 2 different sets of shell holders. I bought the Universal Shell Holder Set which does fit the RCBS Primer Tool (and a lot of Presses) for around $20.

That little rod has 2 different ends. Flat end toward primer.

All that is being mentioned is a bit confusing...

I actually have the entire set of Lee shell holders and they won't work either...

I wonder if there might be something wrong with the plastic inserts that the shell holders slide down over?...

Maybe contact RCBS and ask them...

Strange days indeed...

Thanks to all...BCB

Mal Paso
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Could you have the Auto Prime Set? It's different than the Universal Set.

BCB
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Could you have the Auto Prime Set? It's different than the Universal Set.

Actually, I have both sets--the one for the Auto Primer and the set that is used as shell holders in a reloading press...BCB

2muchstuf
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a Hornady. They have steel inserts.
I shoved them onto a tight fitting dowel and ground a slight bevel on them.
Problem solved.

My son has the RCBS, it has plastic inserts.
I think that he whittled his down with a knife.
another problem solved.

They both work with all shell holders now with no ill side affects.

SuperBlackhawk
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I have an RCBS hand priming tool and I dislike it much. The primers don't always feed correctly and, when I shake it, the lid pops off the tray dumping primers. I've also chased the little rod under the bench too many times when I lay it down. The handle and ram tend to sproing apart when I am chaining shell holders so I also chase the spring and other parts under the bench too. I keep a rubber band around the handle and I made a clip to hold the tray lid on. The little rod can't be magnetized (I tried that) to make it stay inside though. I just bought one of those old Lee hand priming tools like I used to have back in 1985 before sold it (Like an idiot) I am now looking for the "K", "E", and "F" shell holders for it. If the shell holders prove too difficult to find I'll probably just spend the bucks and buy the Sinclair. Now that is one sweet looking priming tool.

FRJ
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I have to agree with the minority and vote for the Lee all the way. I bought a RCBS and hate it. It's a piece of junk compared to my Lee!!!!!! But then I dont like most RCBS stuff since they got sold many years ago. I never buy their dies anymore either. FRJ

Mike Kerr
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
My RCBS hand priming tool was purchased about 98-99. It is great. First four years I had it I would hand prime 500 to 1,500 rounds a week. It replaced a Lee hand priming unit which also worked well but which caused me to have "thumb fatigue". I found with the RCBS that I could hold it several different ways and avoid cramped hand and wrist muscles.

My unit is older with the round primer tray rather than the square tray. For about a decade I have done nearly all my priming on my Dillon 450's and 550 which is why I went "blue". BUT I still have the RCBS hand unit and use it as back up. I honestly feel it is an integral part of my reloading set up and I would not think of parting with it.

With either the RCBS or a Lee hand primer you have to learn the ins and outs of not losing your priming punch, or spring, or whatchcallit, or whatever bugs any of us in a specific reloading operation but other than your specific learning curve - you should find the tool to be a good one.

regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

BCB
04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Well, I have sure been trying to make this RCBS hand priming tool work…

Today I put primers in the tray and was putting the clear lid on it and the entire tray and lid fell to the floor. Primers everywhere—luckily only 20 primers to sweep up. Guess I didn’t have the tray inserted into the primer body far enough. Or I guess I should have filled the tray and then put it into the priming body…

I am absolutely amazed at the number of problems I have had with this RCBS tool…

Shell holders won’t fit…

Priming stem falls out…

Primer tray falls on the floor…

Cases sometimes don’t line up when put in the holder, IF the holder will fit…

I have to hold the case in place or it falls out since the priming tool has to be tilled to allow primers to exit from the tray. Or the primer doesn’t line up with the primer pocket if the case is not inserted and held in place…

But, I will continue to work (and that is what it is) with it until I might get it mastered…

Maybe I am just clumsy?...

Although I must admit that I have been using Lee Auto prime for about as long as they have been available. I have one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers. Years ago, I purchased extra parts for them so I probably have enough of everything for them to last a good many rounds. Maybe the rest of my reloading career...

BCB

Mal Paso
04-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I'll bet I've primed 40,000 cases with mine and never thought about it 'til now. It is clumsy isn't it. I got mine with the kit. Looked at the "better" RCBS model but an automatic shell holder sounds like Trouble. It's so far down the list though I'll bet I load another 40,000 before it gets replaced.

fatelk
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I have two RCBS units. One RCBS sent me many years ago as a replacement for an older discontinued unit that broke, the other was $10 used at a gun show. The first one recently wore out, and RCBS sent me some internal parts to make it good as new again.

I actually like them, even though they do have a couple irritating idiosyncrasies. I have modified a number of older shellholders to fit. I just use a Dremel with a cut off wheel ground down to the right diameter, hold the shellholder sideways, turn it in my fingers and use the cutoff wheel to grind a usable taper. Quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

One thing that has always bugged me about them is the plastic inserts. They get worn and the rod doesn't always push straight up, sometimes leaving an off-center indentation in the primer. I took a piece of stainless steel tube and modified it to fit. It is more of a hassle to change shellholders now but the primers are seated precisely how I want them.

I have a couple broken Lee units in a box somewhere. The handles always break for me, and they're just not comfortable to use. I know some folks use them successfully, but they must meticulously clean primer pockets or only load certain brands of brass or something. I'd rather use a tool that can take a little force and not break. I've always planned on making a couple steel handles for my broken Lees; one of these days.