PDA

View Full Version : Mold and Handle question

mktacop
01-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if Lee 6-cavity mold handles will fit a Saeco 2-cavity mold? :confused:

cajun shooter
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes it will but you have to cut down the thickness of each end from the point back towards the handle that fits in the mould chanel . I fitted one Saeco mould that required another set of screw holes be drilled also.
It depends on the mould but they are better than the Saeco handles of old.
You should also remove the handles and put a good amount of JB WELD onto the metal at the bottom with less towards the front to seal the handles on, This stops them from coming off as they heat up while casting.

mktacop
01-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks cajun shooter!

dragonrider
01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
The handle slot in the Saeco mold is ok for lee handles. The screw in the Saeco mold is too big for the hole in the lee handles. This can be cured by making the hole bigger, BUT it should not be done with a drill, should be done with an endmill so that you can move the center line of the hole away from the edge of the handle to maintain the same amount of material between the hole and the edge of the handle.

midnight
01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
In picked up this idea on this forum. I pin all my Lee handles. Buy a bunch of 3/32 roll pins from your local Fastenal or similar store. I got 100 for about $6. Drill a 3/32 hole through the ferule, wood , & metal of the handle. Drive the roll pin through til it is flush on one end and grind the excess off the other end. A 3/4 long pin is plenty. Your handles will never come loose. It helps to use a roll pin holder to start the pin and then a roll pin punch to drive it through.

Bob

MikeS
01-29-2012, 04:42 AM
I drilled out a set of Lee handles to fit on a SAECO mould, used a drill in a drillpress, and had no problems either using the mould, or with the holes breaking from being on the thin side.