PDA

View Full Version : S&W Brazil contract help

0verkill
01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
I recently bought a 1937 Brazillian contract Smith & Wesson. I got good groups out of it with 3 different bullet weights I had around, but they were all off center (and to varying heights, but that has to do with weigth). After examining the the front sight I found it to be off center. It sits slightly to the right and I think the barrel needs to be turned in a smidge. I need to know where to send it to get it fixed (i.e. the name of a good smith).

tek4260
01-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Were they off center to the left? If so, you can tighten the barrel slightly and correct it yourself. This would correlate with the sight leaning to the right(depending on which way you look at it).

Alan
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I have had better luck just bending the sight if it just needs a scootch.

Scootch = gunsmithing term meaning more than a tad, but less than a hair.

NickSS
01-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I had the same trouble with an old S&W M&P 38 revolver and all I did was use vise grips to bend the front sight just a bit and it show shoots on target for me.

cabezaverde
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Can you guys explain the sight bending method more fully?

machinisttx
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Attempting to bend the front sight often results in a broken front sight.

0verkill
01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't think bending will work. I have done this before on a couple of pistols, but the base is very thick and the steel very hard on the S&W. I put quite a bit of pressure on it and couldn't bend it. I was afraid to push any harder.

tek4260 - When viewed from the back (like your lineing up your sights) the front blade does not line up 0/360 and is a few degrees off to the right. I do know the process for tightening a barrel, but am apprehensive about doing it myself. The barrel is also pinned, so there would have to be a slot cut in the barrel threading (wouldn't there) ? What would I need to do about that?

MtGun44
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
The slot will let the barrel turn a good bit. They cut out a fairly wide chunk of threads
at the top of the barrel to let the pin go thru, not an exact drilling that leaves the pin
really locking the barrel.

DON'T do the 'hammer handle thru the frame' trick or you'll have a good chance of ruining
the frame. Either take to a smith with proper frame wrench or spend the time making
accurately fitted hardwood vise blocks for the frame in front of the cyl (with crane removed)
and use a barrel wrench on the barrel.

Bill