PDA

View Full Version : Getting started list?

tjeffords
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
ok so im a major noob when it comes to this. Im looking for a list of what all ill need to get to start reloading .357 sig.

I have the brass about 366 of them.
im looking for the equipment I need to get started recommended set up.

I know I need a:
tumbler
press
dies
powder scale

what else?

01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
First! and foremost should be a reloading manual. Read it a couple times, so that you are completely familiar with all the safety aspects, and each step or the entire reloading process.

Better yet, buy at least two or them.

Roundnoser
01-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Good advice from 462. Also, do you have any friends or family who reloads? If so, it would help to have someone take you through the process (the correct way...no shortcuts). Once you do it for yourself on someone elses equipment, you'll learn fast what equipment you'll need.

There are some good reloading "kits" out there to get you started. Lee Anniversary Kit and RCBS Partner Kit to name a couple.

Good luck and be safe!

tjeffords
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
my father in-law reloads but we work horrible hours so there is never realtor any sit down time. thank you all for all help given and to come.

Recluse
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm gonna tell you right now, and with over forty years experience to back it up, but you picked the absolute worst round to learn how to reload for a beginner.

The .357 Sig has tremendous pressures, a shoulder'd case, and several quirks about reloading it that if you do not know what you're doing, and have not reloaded before (translation: know the mistakes and pitfalls common to not just beginning reloaders, but all reloaders), it can be downright dangerous.

Common misconception is just like yours: What do I need? A press, tumbler, dies and brass, primers.

On one hand, I don't mean to lecture; on the other hand, I DO mean to lecture. The memory of me applying a loose tourniquet to a guy's lower arm a couple of years ago when he literally blew two fingers off his right hand because of a bad .40 S&W reload is still fresh. He was a brand new reloader, no manual, no scales--and he paid the price. The .357 Sig is even more powerful, more dicey and more quirky to reload.

Learn to reload straight-wall calibers like .38 Special first, or .45ACP--both of which are more forgiving than the performance calibers like .40 S&W or .357 Sig.

Do a lot of reading. . . a LOT about reloading. Hang around the gun range and find some gray hair shooters who reload, shoot well and are safe. Offer to buy them coffee or lunch or breakfast in exchange for a little mentorship.

Otherwise, my recommendation is to purchase factory reloads for plinking/practice and keep your eye out on "white box" factory ammo.

You can start out (reloading) with .357 Sig, but please wear a cap or shirt or sign when you go to the range so other experienced shooters can move away from you.

Am I being cynical? Why should I? After all, we're only creating little incendiary devices capable of hurtling a metal projectile at supersonic speeds with fantastic penetration abilities. What is there to go wrong?

Research. Read. Study. Look over reloaders' shoulders.

To come to a forum like this and ask "What do I need?" when that information is available in only about a zillion places already. . .

:coffee:

tjeffords
01-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I was planning on doing a lot of reading/learning before I start reloading I just wanted to get an idea on everything I need to get up and running so I can keep an eye out while learning and build my setup while learning. and I would never go to a range with my first loads those will be benched in my back yard while being under cover that way if I do mess up its ny gu that gets hurt/dies not me or anyone else.

kyle623
01-27-2012, 11:58 PM
if i remember right, you will need case lube for sizing shouldered cases, there are many different kinds available from sprays to thick stuff you pour on a pad and roll the cartridge on. and like everyone has said, read alot and find some one to mentor you if possible. there's lots of reloading video's on yutube as well.

Roundnoser
01-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Recluse,

It was funny that you mentioned the issues with the 357 Sig....A big jump for a beginner. When I first started reloading in the 80's, back in my Army days in Texas, one of my squad leaders introduced me to reloading on a Rock Chucker. I learned to reload 41 Magnum (plinking loads) using Unique...almost the same as any non-magnum straight wall cartridge. Then I loaded 38's on my own...then 45 acp...and so on.

I also learned as a beginner, to use a high volume powder as I gained experience. I started with Unique. If you double charged a case, it was easy to VISUALIZE that something was wrong. In some applications, a double charge will overflow the case...a good thing for someone just learning. A new guy starting with a powder like W231 is just asking for trouble IMO.

In all my years of reloading, I have NEVER had an incident or injury and I am thankful for that. It is because I learned by watching someone else, understood processes and data, and applied safe reloading practices. -- After all these years, I still reference my load data manuals anytime I try a new powder, or bullet weight, etc. and always start my loads on the low end of the charge data...working my way up.

There is really no other way to learn how to reload safely then to locate a competent, experienced reloader and have them teach you the steps and safety precautions.

Thanks Recluse...a very direct, and informative advice for the OP.

engineer401
01-28-2012, 01:29 AM
I began reloading with the 40 S & W using W 231 when the cartridge was introduced in the early 90's. It is a great cartridge and fun to shoot. As stated earlier it is high pressure. I didn't know that when I began reloading. I first bought a RCBS RC II kit to get started. It was one of the best investments I ever made. The Speer manual came with it. A friend who at the time bought the Hogdon manual recommended I buy one. I did so and read both. I preferred the Hogdon manual best as it was more informative. Another friend of mine who reloaded suggested I shine a flashlight into the powder charged cases setting on the loading tray to verify the powder levels were uniform. The advice of others here to read and work with experienced people worked well for me. Good luck. I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I do.

Kevin Rohrer
01-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Get the Lyman #49 manual. The Beginner chapters at the front list what you need to get started and how to use it. Go from there.

tjeffords
01-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Get the Lyman #49 manual. The Beginner chapters at the front list what you need to get started and how to use it. Go from there.

thank you this is what I needed "a starting point" ... and for everyone else thank you for all the information I don't care if you sound like a dick or not (pardon the terminology) but being blunt like that does help and im very greatfull that there is still people out there that aren't scarred to be blunt.

thank you again and for future help,

TJ

btroj
01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
I would listen to what Recluse said and start with a reload friendlier cartridge. Hard to beat a 357 mag revolver. Start with 38s and use them to figure out what does, and doesn't work.

What you need for sure are a manual, well read by you, a scale, dies, a press and a large dose of intelligence. You don't need a tumbler, I loved many years without one. You also need a "no hot rod loads" mentality.

Be safe, which means being smart.

Angle best thing you can do is find an experienced, safe reloader in your area and have them show ou the ropes. You will learn much that way.

Reloading is a safe, fun hobby. It is best kept safe thru diligence, paying attention to details, staying with well documented loads, and a large dose of common sense.