PDA

View Full Version : Lee Derimming Die

thehouseproduct
01-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi, is there any info on using a Lee sizing die to derim 22lr cases? Is 224 OK or 223 preferable? What is the preferred OD of the punch?

MightyThor
01-27-2012, 08:27 PM
The Die for de rim 22 cal should be about .220 or so. .224 would result in a jacket that is oversized and hard to use in any core seat die. Also would be a little hard to use in a .224 point form. Could probably be done but not ideal.

newcastter
01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Works great for me I use it to derim 17HMR and 22Mag cases, Now my core seat die and point form die are .228 so it doesn't affect it, I then final size as the last step.
It wont work as is but I threaded it upside down in my press and used a coned sandstone bit in my dremel and opened up the bevel until it derimmed smoothly it only tokk 10 minutes. My derim punch is .195

MightyThor
01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
17 hmr and 22 mag are bigger and as you noted, you are making oversize bullets that are then resized. If he is using dies that expand in steps to the .224 shooting size he will have trouble with using the lee die to derim 22 lr.

I would guess that using the lee die and the .195 punch you are getting a bullet with a ring near the base because the rim is not fully drawn out. I have made thousands of bullets with that ring and I find they shoot fine, but some folks want a jacket that is drawn smooth and I have been trying for that in my own dies of late.

newcastter
01-30-2012, 07:26 PM
No ring, because that brass is actually thicker so I believe that makes up for the difference.
As far as it not working if your point form or core seat die is .224 or smaller would be an accurate statement.
I really want to see if i can do the same thing in a .243 die with a bigger punch to step it up, the punch that comes with the .224 die fits right into the 22Mag case but isn't long enough but I could easily get that from someone here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/195124f0ccd45c83f1.jpg

thehouseproduct
02-01-2012, 08:24 PM
The Die for de rim 22 cal should be about .220 or so. .224 would result in a jacket that is oversized and hard to use in any core seat die. Also would be a little hard to use in a .224 point form. Could probably be done but not ideal.
With a 0.220" die body, what size punch? 0.195"? Does the punch need heat treating?

newcastter
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
No the punch does not need heat treated in fact its better not to so if your dies are treated if something crazy happens your punch wont damage your die... Using this die is very easy and the danr dies that I use are only $300 for the set

MightyThor
02-02-2012, 12:05 AM
No the punch does not need heat treated in fact its better not to so if your dies are treated if something crazy happens your punch wont damage your die... Using this die is very easy and the danr dies that I use are only $300 for the set

I respectfully disagree, If you do not heat treat the punches they can bend and damage the dies. I had it happen. It is not 100 % necessary, but I had an untreated punch mess me up. so your choice really.

Hammer
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
With a 0.220" die body, what size punch? 0.195"? Does the punch need heat treating?

I would think the punch needs to accomodate the jacket walls between the die body and the punch. Measure with your calipers and multiply by two then subtract from the die diameter.... Some jackets are thinner than others, so it may take a "Happy Medium" to make it work "universally" among all rimfare jackets.

I would measure the jackets and get a punch tip small enough to fit inside all of the them or you will have to sort before you start derimming.

I vote for NOT heat treating the punch. The jackets will do all manner of things inside the die body.... Split, tear, bottom will push out.... If the punch is thereafter jammed into the side of the die body it can damage the die (which I think is harder to replace.) I would rather have the punch as the "sacrificail" member of the process than the die body....

And the punch needs to be larger than the core that will be placed into the jacket....

Just my opinion... (but it works for me...)

n.h.schmidt
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I make my deriming punch dia at .200 and I do have one that is .201. That is using a .220 die. This is real close without any clearance. The cases are .010 thick. With punches of this dia. you have to radius the top of the punch a little. Many cases will not easily fit on the punch without it. I like the punches as hard as I can get them. They last forever that way. If you don't harden them at least use something harder than soft steel. Grade 8 bolts can still be worked with and have good wear. Actually life is a little easier with a slightly smaller dia punch. You will get a ring in the case but they still shoot well.
n.h.schmidt