PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Remingtom Rand 1911s for sale in Australia.

Four Fingers of Death
01-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Kinda out of my league, but I think these things are pretty sought after in the States.

Years ago, I spent a long time looking for a WW2 Remington or a Singer. I found one Singer, but it had been bubber'ed baddddddddddddddd, not to mention all corners ground off and nickle plated :(

Now that I have the **** out of my pants, I find two. Thats how it goes though.

Good luck to anyone who is interested.

Scroll down until you see the Colt 45s

http://usedguns.com.au/used_hand_guns.html

d4xycrq
01-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Four,

Do you think these Remingtons were left behind by US Forces (likely USN) following WWII? My Dad was in Brisbane at the Submarine refit facility there and had lots of stories to tell.

Prices are no better than what we see in the US - so no incentive to buy 'em and bring 'em back. Last I checked exchange rate was still 1:1, near enough.

Ray

Hang Fire
01-27-2012, 06:08 PM
This is my RR 1911A1 I got many years ago, I did make some changes. It had resided in a tool box full of heavy wrenches for years on a D-8 Cat, the sights were beaten down flat and it was pretty well banged up all over. Five boxes of .357 reloads for the guy to shoot with brass returned got me the pistol

I put a set of old Micro sights and Pachmayr grips on it, relieved the brass banging ejector port and with considerable judicious filing, took a lot of the dings out. Of all my handguns, it remains my favorite, accurate and never failed to function.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010001-14-1.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Nice looking old gun, is that plated or just patina?

Four Fingers of Death
01-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Four,

Do you think these Remingtons were left behind by US Forces (likely USN) following WWII? My Dad was in Brisbane at the Submarine refit facility there and had lots of stories to tell.

Prices are no better than what we see in the US - so no incentive to buy 'em and bring 'em back. Last I checked exchange rate was still 1:1, near enough.

Ray

Possibly, but we import most of our guns from the States and a lot of dealers, including those that operate from home have no doubt imported lots of used guns from the States. I had one friend that used to holiday in the States every year. He would travel around gunshops, pawn shops, etc buying guns and he would get a dealer friend in the States to ship them to him after he went home. He said he did rather well out of it, paid for his trip for himself and his girlfriend and a few dollars profit.

leadman
01-28-2012, 01:18 AM
When I was just out of the Army I traded a motorcycle fairing to my neighbor for one of these. After I shot all the surplus ammo he gave me I found out I was too poor to buy more. I traded it away for a Ruger MK1 22 pistol!
Now I say it was a bad trade, but the fairing cost me $75, and I got alot of use out of that Ruger.

Hang Fire
01-28-2012, 02:55 AM
Nice looking old gun, is that plated or just patina?

Patina, flash effect when pic taken.

35remington
01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Compared to a Singer, a Remington Rand is as common as dirt. The RR was one of the most common variants of the 1911 ever produced.

The Singer was among the least common. Most sources say around 500, while Remington Rands were in the many hundreds of thousands.

Apples and oranges, big time.

Most Singers found are fakes. Too rare to come up on any site with the frequency that they do.

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2012, 01:32 AM
The figures I have heard regarding the Singers was 500 as well. The one I saw that had been Bubber'ed big time was a genuine one, but ruined. The gunshop owner was a 1911 collector of some note and showed me all of the features (and how everything had been ruined). A real shame.

I didn't realise that the Remingtons were made in such numbers. Most of my hunting rifles are Remington 700s, I wouldn't mind a 1911 made by them as well.