PDA

View Full Version : Lee and Hornady Issues

bryonbush
01-27-2012, 12:56 AM
its been a while since i ran the 40sw dies as i load up a thousand in each caliber before i change out. started reloading some 40 and when it went to the factory crimp die, i couldnt get the case in without a lot of force. took it out and looked at it, no problems inside but decided to take it appart and clean it. its now cleaned and still have issues. is it time for a new die?

onto hornady: i kept having binding issues some where along the line so i took everything apart and cleaned it pretty well. after a few more rounds it got stuck again. only this time i couldnt get things to budge. i moved the press down then heard a snap. the left tooth and spins the plate carrer snapped off. so much for reloading tonight. wrote hornady an email so well see how it goes.

ph4570
01-27-2012, 12:59 AM
We have days like that. I hope you get it sorted out without too much trouble.

buyobuyo
01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
The difficulty with the brass entering the FCD is probably too much flare. Or atleast that's what I have noticed the problem being when I have trouble getting a piece of brass into a seat or crimp die.

As for the Hornady problem, it sounds like your pawls were out of adjustment which caused the binding.

bryonbush
01-27-2012, 11:49 AM
case flair wasnt the issue. i ran a case through the sizer, then tried to put it in the crimp die and it was the same problem. its like the carbide ring inside shrunk.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Check and see if they will chamber in the pistol.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Since carbide rings don't shrink, I suspect your sizing die isn't adjusted down quite far enough. I suggest you go back and readjust first your sizing die, then your FCD.

If the Hornady was binding, something was jammed or something was out of adjustment. Forcing snapped the left feed pawl. Hornady will send you a new feed pawl, but you'll need to find out why your press was jammed. I suggest you go back through, clean and readjust everything and see if you can figure out why the press jammed.