PDA

View Full Version : Dare I ask? Lee or RCBS

Thor's Daddy
01-26-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm in the midst of getting my reloading bench set up. My father gave me all of his old stuff and I've been working through it and trying to get it ready to go.

I thought I could make his old Herters O-3 press work, but I want to use a Patmarlins Checkmaker and I don't think it's going to be anything less than a headache with this old press, so...

I'm gonna have to buy a second press (oh darn!).

I'm down to the Lee Classic Cast or the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. With the rebate available through RCBS the prices are nearly the same (the Chucker comes out 10 bucks cheaper), so cost is not an issue, really.

I'm just stuck at which way I should go? The Rock Chucker seems to be the press all others are compared to, but I've read a good number of reviews that say the Classic Cast primer disposal (through the center of the ram) is the cat's a$$. The de-prime setup on the RCBS looks like some sort of man-cup and appears as is it would work about as well as a cow on ice skates.

So, what say ye?

stubshaft
01-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I've used my RCBS since the early 70's nuff said!

jimkim
01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
I think he was talking about buying a RC made in this century. Are the new RCBS RC's made differently or to the same specs as the ones from the 1970's. I think not. Was the Lee Classic Cast press around at that time? No. How long will the LCC last, several lifetimes. Which one has better features, the Lee. Not much of a choice to me. I'd get the Lee, but then again I'm biased. I already own one.

Another thing I like about the Lee Classic Cast press is, it's made of cast iron and steel.

454PB
01-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Get the Lee Classic Turret press. All the power of a Rockchucker and the convenience of a turret.

By the way, I have also owned a Rockchucker for 40 years.

beanflip
01-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Cant go wrong going with RCBS with a NO BS Lifetime Warranty.

Thor's Daddy
01-27-2012, 01:08 AM
...Which one has better features, the Lee.

How so? Which features?

Another thing I like about the Lee Classic Cast press is, it's made of cast iron and steel.

Is the RCBS Rock Chucker not cast iron and steel?

Get the Lee Classic Turret press. All the power of a Rockchucker and the convenience of a turret...

Wouldn't a Classic Cast with the the Breech Lock feature be nearly as fast, and retain all the ridiculous rigidity of the "O" design? The Classic Cast and CC Breech Lock are the same price. I don't know anything about the breech lock and its performance. I'd have to look into that.

Thanks for your insight thus far gents, keep it coming!

01-27-2012, 01:50 AM
How many seconds does it take to install and remove a die? Seems to me that the breech lock is just another add-on sales gimmick -- an adapter for each die in every caliber. Wouldn't take long till the cost of the adpaters surpasses that of the press.

I'm an extremely satisfied Rock Chucker II owner.

Recluse
01-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Wouldn't a Classic Cast with the the Breech Lock feature be nearly as fast, and retain all the ridiculous rigidity of the "O" design? The Classic Cast and CC Breech Lock are the same price. I don't know anything about the breech lock and its performance. I'd have to look into that.

The Classic Turret is much faster than any single stage press, hands-down. It isn't as fast as a progressive, but was never designed nor meant to be.

I bought myself a Classic Turret for Christmas this past year and so far have been extremely pleased. If I could only have ONE reloading press, it would be the Classic Turret, hands-down.

However, I'm also looking to add another single-stage to the bench and have settled on the Lee Classic Cast single stage.

I started with a Rock Chucker, bought another one and in the past twenty years, have given both of them away to new reloaders, who are still using them. The RC is rock solid as a press.

However, after having fiddled with the Lee Classic Cast at my Cabela's, I was very impressed. I solicited some opinions here as I had come down to between the Lee and the Hornady. I just can't see ANYTHING beating the Lee in a single-stage press except for perhaps the Forster Co-Axe.

How many seconds does it take to install and remove a die? Seems to me that the breech lock is just another add-on sales gimmick -- an adapter for each die in every caliber. Wouldn't take long till the cost of the adpaters surpasses that of the press.

I'm an extremely satisfied Rock Chucker II owner.

Agree. I have zero use for the breech lock system, either by Lee or Hornady.

For one, I always thought that was what locking rings were for.

Secondly, I always fiddle with my boolit seating die on the first few reloads anyhow. Just do. It's something my daddy taught me four-plus decades ago because it just plain makes sense to check, double-check and then triple check your boolit seating depth and OAL before you start cranking 'em out.

Put simply? Even with a breechlock, I'd STILL check my adjustment, which means the breechlock would be useless.

In fact, I'm intentionally ordering a Lee Classic Cast press WITHOUT the breechlock adapter/system.

I've had two RCBS Rock Chuckers and loved 'em both. Gonna go with something different this time. That Lee is just too well-built and impressive for me not to take a chance on.

:coffee:

jimkim
01-27-2012, 02:32 AM
How so? Which features?
Better primer disposal, the handle can be adjusted for angle, length and left or right hand usage. The ram is freakin' huge. The metal used to cast the frame is from old train rails. It's alloyed to resist both wear and high pressure.

Is the RCBS Rock Chucker not cast iron and steel?
Yes, it is. I thought I'd be the first one to point out my press is made of cast iron and steel. If you look around, one of the things you'll see when someone usually asks your question is, "RCBS makes their presses out of cast iron" or something along those lines. Most of the time I just figure they are ignorant and not actually trying to imply that all Lee presses are made of aluminum or "pot metal". You hear that a lot too.

Hope that helped. I prefer the Lee Classic Turret, but that wasn't an option.

Thor's Daddy
01-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Recluse. Your thoughts are very much appreciated. I only got to watch my daddy when I was just a wee squirt and this reloading venture, I guess, is now my mid-life crisis in action. In all honesty I hadn't thought about actual workflow that thoroughly and your thoughts on check-and-recheck makes sense. But it's easy enough to get the Classic Cast without the Breechlock, eh?

Thor's Daddy
01-27-2012, 02:37 AM
jimkim, perfect.

Thank you sir!

warf73
01-27-2012, 02:42 AM
I love my single stage press (Pacific/Hornady) well built just like the RCBS chucker, that said I own two of them. One was used for my entire load R&D and the other is used to swage bullets, yes the old press is build strong enough to swage bullets (add core to jacket and run thru forming die).
All of that being said I purchases a Lee Classic Cast Turret last month. I wouldn’t mess with a single stage (single hole press) again. The turret press can do everything the single can (aka reloading) and make changing over from one caliber to the other as simple as turning the turret counter clock wise 1/8 of a turn.
Once you set up your dies in the turret you’re done, you don’t need to unscrew them again EVER. Unlike a single stage press you have to unscrew every die that is needed for that operation.
I'm not a Lee basher or lover but this is a nice press and makes life easier which is why I bought it. I personally got tired of screwing dies in and out (pistol reloading) for each operation. So far I've reloaded handgun ammo and rifle ammo up to 460wby with no issues as of yet using the Lee Classic Turret.
I know it wasn’t one of your choices but this is a great press that shouldn’t be looked over.

Warf

warf73
01-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Dang I'm slow typing 4 of you chimmed in while I was typing this up.

Thor's Daddy
01-27-2012, 03:35 AM
I love my single stage press (Pacific/Hornady) well built just like the RCBS chucker, that said I own two of them. One was used for my entire load R&D and the other is used to swage bullets, yes the old press is build strong enough to swage bullets (add core to jacket and run thru forming die).
All of that being said I purchases a Lee Classic Cast Turret last month. I wouldn’t mess with a single stage (single hole press) again. The turret press can do everything the single can (aka reloading) and make changing over from one caliber to the other as simple as turning the turret counter clock wise 1/8 of a turn.
Once you set up your dies in the turret you’re done, you don’t need to unscrew them again EVER. Unlike a single stage press you have to unscrew every die that is needed for that operation.
I'm not a Lee basher or lover but this is a nice press and makes life easier which is why I bought it. I personally got tired of screwing dies in and out (pistol reloading) for each operation. So far I've reloaded handgun ammo and rifle ammo up to 460wby with no issues as of yet using the Lee Classic Turret.
I know it wasn’t one of your choices but this is a great press that shouldn’t be looked over.

Warf

Well, while you were typing I was over at LeePrecision.com and MidwayUSA checking out the Lee Classic Turret! Ha!

I'm not sure I'll take advantage of all the available features of such a system (I'll be using Hornady dies, so I think I'm out of using the powder-through die dealio), but even if I just use it as you've described (set up once, place and replace die sets as needed) I'll be way ahead of the game.

I've only got one caliber to load as of now, but might make it two within a year or so. I don't ever see myself loading very many different calibers (I bet you all have heard that one before!). Even so, the turret system seems very slick.

One question. Do I need any adapter to get the safety prime system mounted on the Classic Turrett? Can I just use it as a priming only station (single-stage style)? Or a resize/priming single-stage setup?

I think I'll be using the old Herters as a push-through boolit sizer. I've got a Lyman 450, but using a push-through system seems like it would work better for me. At least that's the plan, unless someone's got a better two-press workflow.

rugerdude
01-27-2012, 06:33 AM
You'll love the Lee, its a freakin' tank!:mrgreen:

Have had mine for several years and it has been excellent. And the more I use it the smoother it gets. Mind you, not looser, just smoother!

1hole
01-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I have an RC but if the Classic Cast had been an option at that time the big Lee is what I would have.

Speed of die changes is basically irrelivant. There is no need nor even value in wrenching dies into a press, hand tight is plenty tight, and I can easily swap screwed in dies in about 40-50 seconds. In a normal reloading session that eats maybe 2-2 1/2 minutes; not enough difference to change my life style.

milprileb
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Adequate vs. Better

Since the press is the most critical piece of gear to make reloading happen, buy the best press you can afford.

Lots has to do with if you are a casual reloader or one serious dude about it.

If something is built better, its just better for the long haul.

My suggestion: look who commented and scroll about for their posts and consider if they have all their wits about them and are logical.

Trends: always going cheap may not be the guy you want to join going over the cliff with

Wayne Smith
01-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Since I don't have either my .02 is simply that I agree with the issue with the breach lock, and similarly, with the turret. I have 37 sets of dies on my shelves, to add that many breach locks or turrets would be prohibitive. From what I have seen and read the advantage of the RCBS is the guarantee, the advantage of the Lee is the piece of equipment you get. Either will do the job adequately.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I've own the Lee Classic Cast single stage and used to own an RCBS Rock Chucker, the older and "better" one. The Lee Classic Cast pushed the Rock Chucker off my bench and into the "for sale" ads. Here's why:

1. Ruggedness and durability: A draw, but the Lee's design has a better base and is easier to get a stable mount on your bench.

2. Ergonomics: The Lee has better ergonomics with it's adjustable length handle and the ability to move the handle for right handed/left handed operation. Shortening the handle can speed up operation when you're not using the leverage for bigger cases. Makes reloading smaller brass with larger quantities much more pleasant.

3. Primer disposal and cleanliness: This is where the Lee really beats out the RC. The Lee has a hollow ram and the spent primers drop through the ram into an attached plastic tube. You can run the tube to a trash can or a empty coffee can or wherever you like. The RC has a plastic tray that keeps the spent primers, along with their associated filth, right there at the ram where you're working. Additionally, you have to move the plastic tray to dump and you'll usually manage to spill some of the primers and filth while dumping. The Lee meanwhile, stays nice and clean. Much easier to dump a coffee can with a hole in the lid for the dump tube. Just slide the tube out, remove the lid and dump the spent primers in the trash or into a bad brass bin. I can't emphasize enough how much more pleasant not dealing with filthy spent primer leftovers is.

4. Primer handling: Both the Lee and the RCBS presses have a lever type primer on the press, but with the Lee, you can add their safety prime, which greatly speeds up handling of the primers. You dump a box of primers into the safety prime, attach it to the press and you're now priming and dumping powder right on the press.

5. Adding a Hornady LnL bushing conversion: Both the RCBS and the Lee will accept a Hornady LnL conversion bushing, which allows you to use LnL bushings on your dies. This allows you to greatly speed up insertion of dies and or powder measures into and out of the press. Additionally, if you decide to buy a Hornady LnL progressive later on, you'll already have your dies in LnL bushings. All you'll have to do is calibrate the single stage press to the progressive. A google search will show you how to do this, then all the dies with bushings will fit either press.

6. Design: Both presses are made of cast iron and steel, but the Lee frame design is much more elegant and uses it's cast iron and steel much more effectively. There is no "wasted" cast iron and associated weight in the Lee design. This one is more subtle, but in execution, it makes the Lee a better press to use day to day.

7. Cost: The Lee is much less expensive than the RCBS RC, but is a newer and better design. All this added up means the Lee is one heckuva value for what it costs. Additionally, it's rugged design will last as long as any Rock Chucker. The RCBS Rock Chucker set the standard for single stage presses when it came out. The Lee set a new and higher standard when it came out. Most folks, when they do an honest evaluation of both presses side by side, will realize that. I did. The Lee is less expensive, but it isn't cheaper, it's better. In this case, it's a situation of you get more than you paid for, rather than you got what you paid for. Rare in today's world.

Bill*
01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Adequate vs. Better

Since the press is the most critical piece of gear to make reloading happen, buy the best press you can afford.Lots has to do with if you are a casual reloader or one serious dude about it.

If something is built better, its just better for the long haul.

My suggestion: look who commented and scroll about for their posts and consider if they have all their wits about them and are logical.

Trends: always going cheap may not be the guy you want to join going over the cliff with
Keep in mind....more expensive implies better, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

Thor's Daddy
01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Adequate vs. Better

Since the press is the most critical piece of gear to make reloading happen, buy the best press you can afford.

I agree. This is why I started this thread.

Lots has to do with if you are a casual reloader or one serious dude about it.

The problem is, are you a casual volume shooter (spray-and-pray pop can blaster) or are you a serious dude who loads small volumes of precision ammunition.

I'll always opt for precision over volume, but if something like the Lee Classic Turret, which is mentioned a few times earlier in this thread, would give me great precision with the benefit of a more streamlined workflow, then I'm all for it.

If accuracy is going to suffer, then forget it. Give me a single stage.

Same goes for durability. I'd prefer to hand down my presses to my son, just like my Daddy did to me.

If a turret like the Lee Classic Turret is going to work loose and get sloppy after a decade, then I'll stick to a single stage.

Cheapness has nothing to do with it. The cost of the presses are within 10 dollars of one another. Surprisingly to me, it's the RCBS that's less expensive (please note that I didn't say cheaper).

...I have 37 sets of dies on my shelves, to add that many breach locks or turrets would be prohibitive...

I have one cartridge to load for and can't ever see myself loading for more than five. Three is more likely.

I agree that the breech lock saves little time, but the benefits of the turret system seem pretty obvious as far as workflow is concerned (and that's not about die change times).

Thanks again guys, this stuff is priceless.

kappy
01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
For progressive, I go Lee. Why? Cheap, easily maintained, and if something goes wrong, you chuck it and buy a new one.

For single stage? If you aren't going with Sinclair or something else which is completely unaffordable for the likes of me, it has to be RCBS. They always make good on that kind of product. I don't like their electronics (since just about all electronics come from China these days... which is true of anyone, truth be told), but everything single stage is quality.

I do like Lee dies as much as RCBS because they are easy on the brass... but RCBS really does stand behind their equipment.

For molds, I go RCBS over Lee. Lees are cheap molds, sure, and easier on the wrists (if you're making a thousand or so in a casting session), but my Lee .45 molds don't work so well. They just won't load properly. The .40s work fine.

warf73
01-28-2012, 02:17 AM
One question. Do I need any adapter to get the safety prime system mounted on the Classic Turrett? Can I just use it as a priming only station (single-stage style)? Or a resize/priming single-stage setup?

I don't think so ( I use the turret as a single stage press with all the dies screwed into it) there is a kit you can buy for it. When you got to midwayusa and click on the classic cast turret, on the right side of the page is suggested items. You will see the priming kit for large and small for $21.99.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814175/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press
Yes you can use it as a priming station only, just remove the turret rachet sytem and its a manual turret then.

40Super
01-28-2012, 04:44 AM
The sad truth is cheap almost always wins out over quality.It also tends to fog the brain. RCBS you know the quality is going to be there.If you want quick die changes,get the Hornady lock-n-load bushing conversion for the cast iron and steel RC .
For higher volume a turret type press would bebetter but not quite as strong.

jimkim
01-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I've had someone I respect point out to me that the CC doesn't produce rifle ammo that is as accurate as that produced on a RC. I haven't owned a RC, just a RS. The CC is made to a much higher quality than my RS, but that's apples and oranges, kind of like comparing a Challenger to a RC. My CC also appears to be made better and tighter(linkage was looser on RC) than the last couple of RC's I've seen, but I did not use. I doubt they would have let me just start cranking out ammo in the store.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have ACTUALLY owned, and USED both. How did the quality of the ammo produced compare? Was the Lee RIFLE(has to be rifle because he said the Lee is ok for pistol) ammo as accurate as that produced on the RC.

rugerdude
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I'd bet my pitiful state-issue paycheck that it is.

And I would also bet that you will have to look hard and long to find a better value than the Classic Cast.

One last point to consider. I know its unlikely, but if you have need to reload .50 BMG ammo, ya gotta go CC. Not enough clearance on the RC. And the extra clearance and ram travel on the CC makes for lots of room for fingers holding components.

Recluse
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I've had someone I respect point out to me that the CC doesn't produce rifle ammo that is as accurate as that produced on a RC.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have ACTUALLY owned, and USED both. How did the quality of the ammo produced compare? Was the Lee RIFLE(has to be rifle because he said the Lee is ok for pistol) ammo as accurate as that produced on the RC.

Well, my respect factor for whoever said that would plummet because if there has ever been a more asinine statement made out of sheer ignorance or brand prejudice (same thing in this case), I'd be hard-pressed to remember it.

A reloading press, especially single stage, only has one function and that is to deliver the brass to the die. I fail to see how an RCBS Rock Chucker (of which I've owned two and loved them) can therefore produce better or more accurate ammo than a Lee or Redding or Forster or Hornady or Lyman.

Dies, components, gun and even the shooter have a little bit to do with the end result.

garym1a2
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
For Rifle ammo I would select a good single stage press like the Rcbs RC or Lee Classic cast. I had the rock clunker 20 years ago. Now I have lee cast turrent, lee classic cast, lee challanger, lee hand press and a loadmaster. The only press of the bunch I called a waste was the loadmaster. The classic cast and RCBS RC are good machines.

40Super
01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
The only way I could see where someone could tell if one press or another acually made more accurate ammo would have to be either a 1000yrd shooter that is at the very top of his game or just guessing. For me its about how tight things are,the type of material the ram and frame are made out of (not just steel,but a good GRADE of steel)ease of setup/use,customer service,what and how many querks a press has,all around tolerances used on all mating components,very last is how much does it cost.
I could not count the times I bought an item because it was the cheaper one(even with others claiming how good it was)only to have it fail or just simply work like a p*of*s,and when I go over to see how those other people's item work, it is the same ****, just they won't/can't see it because it would require them to admit it. Its called EGO. Most of the time I end up buying the higher priced one because it IS the better one.

HangFireW8
01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
I own a 90's era Rockchucker and two Lee Classic Cast's with standard screw-in bushings. I am not interested in either Lee or Hornady quick-change, as it adds another layer of mechanical slop and I always adjust the dies anyway... always....

I use all 3 for assembly-line style precision rifle reloading. (I have a progressive for handgun). Since all 3 presses have rams concentric with their die holders, they can all reload the most accurate of ammo... or the least. The difference is up to the operator.

They have their advantages and disadvantages. The RCBS will never whack you on the head with the handle if you are bending over near the press and happen to push up on the ram. The Lee will. The Lee will never pull the shell holder half off the ram and jam up the works with the primer lever, the RCBS will (if you let it go a moment too soon).

The Lee has more leverage through the middle of the pull. The RCBS has more at the end of the stroke due to cam-over. Lee touts this as better for more primer and bullet seating feel. RCBS touts theirs as better for case forming or tough sizing.

I'd say, assuming you get a good one, either will serve you very well.

HF

Recluse
01-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Most of the time I end up buying the higher priced one because it IS the better one.

So how is your Co-Axe working out for you?

garym1a2
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
To really determine the capabilty of the press you measure the ammo it shoots. Measure runout, overall length, accuracy of charges,.mean, max, min, sd and variances. Plus you need to use same dies for comparision.

Since I load mostly for Run&Run(USPSA). I am more interested in rounds loaded per hour and repeatable powder charge so I barly meet minor power factor.

The only way I could see where someone could tell if one press or another acually made more accurate ammo would have to be either a 1000yrd shooter that is at the very top of his game or just guessing. For me its about how tight things are,the type of material the ram and frame are made out of (not just steel,but a good GRADE of steel)ease of setup/use,customer service,what and how many querks a press has,all around tolerances used on all mating components,very last is how much does it cost.
I could not count the times I bought an item because it was the cheaper one(even with others claiming how good it was)only to have it fail or just simply work like a p*of*s,and when I go over to see how those other people's item work, it is the same ****, just they won't/can't see it because it would require them to admit it. Its called EGO. Most of the time I end up buying the higher priced one because it IS the better one.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Both will do the trick, I'm (very) partial to the green RC machine.

joec
01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I have the Lee Classic Cast also and love it. Spent primers dump down a tube, uses the Lee Safety primer system, takes 7/8x14 dies and remove the plug now takes 1 1/4x12 dies. I use the Hornady quick change adapter to give me the ability to quick change my 7/8x14 dies same as the other Lee single stage presses using the Breech Lock system. It is taller than most and will last through a couple of life times. Sells for just under $100 at https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html with very fast shipping. Mine below is setup with the RCBS Cowboy dies for 12 ga Magtech Brass shot shells I load with Black Powder. It is also great for bullet sizing/lubing and other higher torque items you might have to do. It is heavy too.

r1kk1
01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Let me start by saying I do not own either press nor will. I have a single stage that is a heavyweight and built like a tank.

RCBS has customer service down to a science. You can also buy a solid ram for the Rock Chuckers and I do not know how spent primers would be handled unless they drilled through the ram like on the Champion. I've seen the soda straw trick for the standard rockchucker to enhance primer disposal.

Is the handle on the rockchucker solid?
Does anyone have the solid ram version in regards to spent primer handling?
Is it true these are made in china?
Lee
The CC weighs in at just a tad over 13 lbs. It is the lightest steel press that I know of and others can chime in. I did not know until reading through back posts that is has a hollow ram and handle. A solid handle would be great for larger tasks as some guys have already done on this site. The ones I've seen at Cabelas and other chain stores, fit and finish was not the best. Too bad. It is John not Richard who brought the CC presses to the market I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. It is NOT the largest ram in the industry nor is through the ram primer disposal a new thing. I don't care for Lee's marketing hype by their own website and reloading books. I also dislike how their tools are described as beginner tools. I don't see them that way. I own quite a bit of Lee's custom services stuff and fit and finish are very good with no complaints. I do not own any production stuff except for a couple of moulds.

If I was interested in another single stage it would be a COAX or Redding Ultramag. This is not what the OP asked, just my opinion.

Take care and have fun with your choice. I love old school presses.

r1kk1

Petrol & Powder
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Wow, this is like the old Ford or Chevy thing!

I have an old RCBS and will never let go of it.
Can't really say anything bad about the Lee and the "turret" concept is sound. However the Lock n' Load die holders may level that playing field a bit. For any type of high volumn production (read that as handgun cartridges!) I use a Dillon 550B. But I still load rifle rounds on a single stage press. IMHO, if you start to produce a lot of rounds, you'll end up with a progressive press anyway. With that said, I think you can't go wrong with either type of single stage press (one-hole vs. turret).

zuke
01-02-2013, 12:39 AM
The sad truth is cheap almost always wins out over quality.It also tends to fog the brain. RCBS you know the quality is going to be there.If you want quick die changes,get the Hornady lock-n-load bushing conversion for the cast iron and steel RC .
For higher volume a turret type press would bebetter but not quite as strong.

Guess you missed the part where the OP stated the rcbs was $10 cheaper the the LEE.
Care to elaborate your statement?

MT Chambers
01-02-2013, 12:56 AM
While the Forster Co-ax is top of the heap, after that i'd go redding or Rcbs rockchucker.

gunoil
01-02-2013, 06:33 AM
here ya go 2013!

Need anyone say more? VIDEO BELOW
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/C1EE4F71-9E9B-46F9-90F6-69BD5452333F-239-000001EDDF586C0E.mp4

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/82BBD44E-3184-4C13-8959-CDFD7BDD3A6E-239-000001FADC03EFB2.jpg

HERES LEFT SIDE VIEW VIDEO
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/1CB8C2B9-2E41-49E4-A8BA-001F226175F5-740-0000024A6F342472.mp4

r1kk1
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Gun oil, I see you haven't stiffen up the bench yet. Pat Marlin and Inlinefabricatons who both are contributors on this list sell dock solutions. Just a thought.

Take care

r1kk1

1hole
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
"Since the press is the most critical piece of gear to make reloading happen, buy the best press you can afford."

Well, after some 47 years of reloading while owning some six presses and using another half dozen different presses and having used a concentricty gage to test the ammo made on most of them I'd challenge you to prove that statment. Ammo is made inside the dies, all a press can possibly do is push the cases in and pull them out; if any press can do that without breaking it will make ammo as well as the loader's skill, components and dies permit.

I have a perfect condition 25 year old RC II. Other than tossing spent primers all over the floor it's almost as good as a friends Lee Classic Cast but he has a fully adjustable lever and his primers drop into a jar, neat and clean! Lee's tubular lever is designed to bend rather than break the press if a foolish user get's too animated. I can assure anyone who thinks an iron press of any color is too strong to break they are wildly wrong; I've seen photos of two RCs with broken top straps from users who had bought into the big green hype.

Anyone who thinks the 'strongest' press is the best press will have to get a Redding Ultramag. Not that all its strength means much but it's the strongest common press available in today's market - by a bunch!

I have and don't much like a Lyman turret press, all cast iron and steel, simply because my tastes changed but I can make ammo fully as precisely on it as on my green single stage, it just takes a bit more care. Anyone thinking they are going to get an automatic accuracy increase merely by buying a more costly or 'better' brand of press is kidding himself. And price is probably the LEAST valid measurement of getting what you pay for!

r1kk1
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Lee's tubular lever is designed to bend rather than break the press if a foolish user get's too animated.

It's an economic's thing. Cheaper to produce to hollow handles than solid. A business can save a few thousand dollars going this route.

I can assure anyone who thinks an iron press of any color is too strong to break they are wildly wrong; I've seen photos of two RCs with broken top straps from users who had bought into the big green hype.

I'll let you know when something snaps on my 30 lb Champion. The only reloading company that I know of that sells swaging dies as well as reloading tools. Now swaging dies are 12 to 18 months out for production.

Anyone who thinks the 'strongest' press is the best press will have to get a Redding Ultramag. Not that all its strength means much but it's the strongest common press available in today's market - by a bunch!

I can truly appreciate the Ultramag but will stand by my Champion. If not the strongest press next to a true swaging press is the Rock Crusher now offered by CH4D who OWS sold it to when he retired.

Truly massive press.

take care,

r1kk1

epox
01-05-2013, 12:54 AM
I have an older RCBS Rock Chucker with bicycle handle grip and a newer Lee Single stage with the quick change dies. I like the Rock Chucker for the strength that this older press has and it's built like a tank. I do prefer the Lee Safety Prime system though and it has a very smooth stroke. While (knock on wood) I haven't detonated any primers yet, with the Lee if that happened the rest of the primer are way away from the one being set. I can't speak for the primer tube feed for the RCBS because the press that was given to me didn't have it. Been thinking about getting the set though to try it. If it worked good I would set the RCBS up for Rifle and the Lee for Pistol.