PDA

View Full Version : K Frame Craziness

Snapping Twig
01-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Went with a friend to inspect a S&W 686 he was looking to buy. I looked it over, he liked it a lot and he bought it.

While he was doing the paperwork, one of the shop employees told me about a 2.5" 66 at their other store from a guy's collection that was going to be for sale that day.

We took our time heading back, had lunch and did some touristy stuff and such. I dropped him off and headed to the other shop. Got there, asked about the 66 and got... "You mean the one that sold an hour ago?"

#@%!!!

There was a 13-3 in the case from the collection, it was the ugly duckling compared to the others and for that I am grateful. I thought it was a model 10 at first, but then I saw .357 on the barrel and asked to look at it and there it was, a 13-3.

Offered $50 less than asking and the owner accepted, so it's mine now.

Here it is.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/IMG00401-20120114-1517.jpg

4" square butt, 83 or 84 vintage.

I got to thinking how nice this would be in 3" round butt and went to work looking for a barrel and considering cutting the butt round. The more I thought about it, the less attractive that idea was.

So...

Looking at the ads for us unfortunate Californians, we can't buy from out of State so we miss out on all the old good stuff. We have to buy firearms already here before the "roster" of "safe guns" was implemented. Obviously this has absolutely nothing to do with safety, it's back door gun control and nothing more.

Just the same, there's a fantastic California Gun site for us freedom loving citizens and they have a sales area.

I found this 65-5 there. This is the stainless version of the 13. In this particular case it is a hybrid and made in small numbers than a typical 65. In short, it's a Ladysmith. :)

That's right, a Ladysmith! This differs from the typical 65 in terms of the barrel configuration - it has an ejector rod shroud. It's kind of like a 3" 66 with fixed sights that's been glass bead blasted.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/2885a9ba.jpg

For comparison, here's an image I lifted off the web showing a typical 65 w/o the ejector rod shroud.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/pix474554056.jpg

Look under the barrel at the ejector rod area. See the difference?

As you can see, these are round butt 3" revolvers. So my quest is complete and I have a perfect carry piece in addition to a fine 4" blued piece.

"For those that are saying... "Ladysmith?" Here's an image of the side that normally has that logo.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/ee8bb3e5.jpg

Mag-Na-Port has professionally removed the logo. They also did an action job on it.

Here's an image I lifted off the web showing the Ladysmith logo.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/57andladysmith008.jpg

Not really obtrusive, but just the same I prefer it without.

So these are my first and only K frames. Got N's and an L, had a few L's over the years, but these are my first K's.

Now I wait for the California waiting period - more gun control. Grrrr! Soon enough I'll be able to pick them up.

BTW, the 65-5 came with two boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo, a speed loader and a Don Hume 721 holster that looks LNIB.

Can't wait to get 'em in my hands.

x101airborne
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
They are all beautiful. Very good buy IMO. I love the 357 smiths and own 3 66'es. And several model 10's, 29's, holy crud.... how many smiths do I have? NOT ENOUGH!!!! LOL. You did good. Use it, love it, live it, pass it on.

subsonic
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Nice. Looks like you have a great carry piece and a spare.

That 29 in your avatar is nickled, right? They never made that in ss w/ that front sight.

aarolar
01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Yall are making me want one in a bad way and that is the last thing I need. Beautiful guns all of them, I am definately a lover of smith revolvers just not a owner...... yet.:drinks:

stubshaft
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Good looking guns you got there. My earliest carry piece was a S&W mdl. 19, 2 1/2" round butt 357mag. back when Stainless guns were still sci-fi.

Snapping Twig
01-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Nice. Looks like you have a great carry piece and a spare.

That 29 in your avatar is nickled, right? They never made that in ss w/ that front sight.

That's a 29-3 Classic Hunter that Mag-Na-Port hard chromed for me.

MT Gianni
01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
I just sold my 66 2.5" rb. I loved the fit, finish and the way it carried. I could not make it shoot for me as I wished it to. How is the Ladysmith for accuracy with boolits?

Snapping Twig
01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
To be honest, I don't have it yet. California law decrees that 10 24 hour periods must pass before I am allowed to take posession.

To pick nits, this means that I can not come in 10 days later and just pick it up, it means that if I bought it at 2:17p on the day I bought it, I would have to wait until 2:18p on the day I pick it up, the 10th day. Go figure... Bastiges!

I imagine both of these roscoes will shoot right, one is LNIB and the other is Mag-Na-Port overhauled to better than factory spec. The DA and SA on the LS is like butter! It's what a 19-6/7 PC feels like. I should know, I tried one and knew then and there I needed to get one, and now I have it... almost. :)

Firebricker
01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I love the K-frames they just have a natural balance. To me they are one of the easiest revolvers to shoot accurately. FB

white eagle
01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
who is going to say anything about it being a Ladysmith when it in your hand
nice I like it
good score

9.3X62AL
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Two very nice and hard-to-find examples you have there, sir. I had the use of a Model 13 x 3" for several months, and thought very highly of it. A couple years ago, I ran onto a Model 19 x 2.5", and grabbed it--thinking that would be as close as I would get to that Model 13 in this lifetime. It serves well, and reminds me of my early days as a deputy when these Model 19s and 66s were all the rage.

machinisttx
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm still kicking myself for passing on a 3" M13 a few years back. Missed a 3" M66 a few years before that.

GabbyM
01-31-2012, 04:47 AM
Before last Christmas I had zero 38 Special revolvers. Now I’ve four K frames. Two model 10’s and two model 15’s. They are freakishly accurate. Fantastic triggers.

lbaize3
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Yep, I just love the new semi auto craze where everyone is letting their K and L frame Smiths go for a song. I have 6 and room for many more....

gunfan
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
I want a 6" barreled 16-4, so that I can send it to my gunsmith for "power enhancement surgery." (Read: relieve the chambers to accept the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge.)

After that, send it off to Robar for their electroless nickel (NP3) finish.

Now THAT would perform as a hunting handgun! ;) :happy dance:

Scott

WRideout
02-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Two very nice and hard-to-find examples you have there, sir. I had the use of a Model 13 x 3" for several months, and thought very highly of it. A couple years ago, I ran onto a Model 19 x 2.5", and grabbed it--thinking that would be as close as I would get to that Model 13 in this lifetime. It serves well, and reminds me of my early days as a deputy when these Model 19s and 66s were all the rage.

More than a few years ago, when I got back from Officer Basic Course at Ft. Sill, I had a travel expense check from the Army that was burning a hole in my pocket. My (ex) wife allowed me to spend somewhere around $300 on a 6" Mod. 19 that I lusted after. Still have the gun. I love that piece; I normally shoot cast WC in 38 spl, but once in a while run some .357 through it, to see what it will do. It's legal for deer hunting in PA, but I can't bring myself to do it; seems like a mob hit.

Wayne

gabe123
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey Snapping Twig, as a fellow oppressed Californian, could you please share the name of the site that you referenced? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Snapping Twig
02-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Sure!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

gabe123
02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank You, I have checked it out and it looks like I have a new spot to frequent.[smilie=s: