PDA

View Full Version : Anybody load 45 ACP of 45 Colt rubber bullets?

jblee10
01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't want to discuss the legalities of shooting thieves/trespassers with rubber bullets, but would like a sorce for projectiles. And any input that's out there for load data and actual experience using rubber bullets.

stubshaft
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Speer used to make plastic bullets for practicing with the 45. I haven't seen anyone advertise rubber bullets in a long time.

How about glue boolits?

jmsj
01-26-2012, 11:53 PM
jblee10,
I bought some rubber bullets from Midway back in the early 90's. I believe they were made by a company called X-Ring. If I remember correctly all it used for power was a primer.
Back then I had a neighbor from down the road that had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that would come down to my barn and raise Cain with my barn cats. After he killed an entire litter of kittens, I went and talked to his owner about him keeping his dog home. He told me if I didn't like his dog coming over that I should shoot his dog. I told him I did not want to shoot his dog I just wanted him to keep his dog on his property.
I got some of these rubber bullets in 38 caliber to shoot out of a S&W 686. I think they worked best using 38 Special cases and magnum primers. IIRC they shot really low. The next time I caught that dog in the barn, I shot him once in the barn and was able to hit him 2 or 3 times as he lit out. He let out a yelp every time I hit him. After 3 or 4 times of the dog getting this treatment he stopped coming over.
I have no experience with them in 45 ACP or 45 Colt but I don't think they would cycle in 45 ACP and with the case of the 45 Colt being so large that they would not produce much velocity. Like I said I have no experience in those cartridges so these are just guesses on those.

AndyC
01-27-2012, 12:35 AM
We used to train with wax bullets in a CZ75 9mm pistol during room-clearance drills in the late 80s. Powered only by a primer, they unfortunately didn't cycle the slide, but they fed well from the magazine by hand-cycling the slide for each shot and were darned accurate up to 10 yards or so. We did try to get the slide to cycle by using powder but it didn't work - it was just a lot noisier.

They were 158gr .357 SWC bullets simply pressed into a primed case. One of the guys insisted on being shot in the back with one, which went right through his t-shirt and resulted in a beautiful round welt tinged with blood around the edges (yes, we were young, dumb and invulnerable).

.45 acp - don't know if you can find anything to cycle the slide, but you could do as we did and cast wax inside a regular bullet mold and press that bullet into a primed case, feeding them manually for each shot.

fcvan
01-27-2012, 03:39 AM
I would suggest you look at the posts on making cast boolits with hot glue. I've made them in 38 secial and 40 S&W. Great fun. Frank

KCSO
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
If you are justified in shooting someone you need to shoot them and NOT with rubber bullets. Every time someone gets rubber bulleted by the police they sue for excessive force and they will sue you too. God forbit you hit some pooor schmuck in the eye with a gluelit and blind them. You have just lost everything you will ever own. This is just like rock salt, it's no longer something you can afford to do.

Jim
01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't want to discuss the legalities of shooting thieves/trespassers with rubber bullets, but would like a sorce for projectiles. And any input that's out there for load data and actual experience using rubber bullets.

"would like a sorce for projectiles"
Have you done your own search? They're easy to find.

"any input that's out there for load data"
There is no load data. They're designed to be powered by primers only.

"and actual experience"
Doing what? That could range from shooting paper to people.

Kraschenbirn
01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
X-Ring Rubber Bullets are still available from Midway. I've shot them in both .45 ACP (S&W 1955 Target) and .38 Spl. (various wheelguns) and found them sufficiently accurate for indoor practice. A couple years ago, I sold all that I had...a full box of each...here on Cast Boolits. Don't remember who got 'em but someone here should be able to provide some current feedback.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/489581/x-ring-rubber-bullets-45-caliber-451-to-452-diameter-box-of-50

Bill

Mike 56
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I have been shooting wax bullets out of my 44cal cap and ball revolvers with 8gr of FF black powder. C and R wax bullets http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/ also sells wax bullets for 38 and 45 caliber revolvers. They sell cases that use 209 shotgun primers that you can load with no tools. I drilled my own cases waiting for the bullets to arrive to to try the drilled cases. I think the 209 primed cases would also work with rubber bullets.

Hamish
01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/489581/x-ring-rubber-bullets-45-caliber-451-to-452-diameter-box-of-50

From the Midway description: (my emphasis)

Unsurpassed for safety, speed, accuracy and economy. Rubber bullets are designed to be loaded into primed, empty brass cases. Enlarging the flash holes is recommended for revolvers to prevent primer setback. Reuseable.

Geddoudahere! Really?