PDA

View Full Version : Short nose .500 jrh / s&w boolit?

subsonic
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
How about a 440gr WFN boolit with a nose that will fit in a .500 jrh and also work in the .500 s&w? Something with a .450" nose?

Now that the .500 JRH BFRs are finally shipping to dealers, we will need something to feed them! And if a person also had a .500 s&w it would work for that too.

lup
01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
How about a 440gr WFN boolit with a nose that will fit in a .500 jrh and also work in the .500 s&w? Something with a .450" nose?

Now that the .500 JRH BFRs are finally shipping to dealers, we will need something to feed them! And if a person also had a .500 s&w it would work for that too.

With that short a nose, you're giving up space inside the case that could be used for powder. That's why many of the 500 S&W designs on the site use a .700 nose so that there is less bullet shank in the case allowing more room for powder.

The result is less velocity for no better terminal performance. If you're not trying to wring the performance out of your round, it's not a big deal but you may be better off buying an off the shelf like the LEE or RCBS moulds.

Ed K
01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
This cut at .502 close enough?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95870

subsonic
01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
This cut at .502 close enough?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95870

Maybe. I don't see any dimensioned drawings and I would assume that a new cherry would be required anyway to go smaller.

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably change it a little.

And to LUP, I guess you're right. All revolver boolits must scrape the barrel shank upon cylinder rotation for anybody on here to be interested in them. This is my 2nd thread about a stubby .500 boolit that didn't take off.

What is funny, is that I see very few of the group buy designs that are popular that look like they would work well. It's almost inversely related that the more a boolit looks like it would fail, the more people are lining up for one.:veryconfu

Ed K
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Maybe. I don't see any dimensioned drawings and I would assume that a new cherry would be required anyway to go smaller.

You may be assuming too much. This cherry could likely be used for your JRH.

lup
01-30-2012, 11:35 AM

And to LUP, I guess you're right. All revolver boolits must scrape the barrel shank upon cylinder rotation for anybody on here to be interested in them. This is my 2nd thread about a stubby .500 boolit that didn't take off.

What is funny, is that I see very few of the group buy designs that are popular that look like they would work well. It's almost inversely related that the more a boolit looks like it would fail, the more people are lining up for one.:veryconfu

What designs do you not think work well? And for what purpose? You've got two main groups of people who buy custom moulds. People who shoot a lot at targets and people who want to make a bullet that performs better terminally. There are a lot of features in each group that are mutually exclusive.

Just some thoughts to help you attract the people who would be interested in your mould. Also consider how many JRH chambered guns are out there. You might have an easier time trying to get together a small number of people for a small group buy and only need to attract 5 people rather than 15.

LUP

subsonic
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
You may be assuming too much. This cherry could likely be used for your JRH.

What is the nose length?

mellonhead
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
A .375 nose would let it work in the FA's that have been converted to 500 JRH and the 500 WE. Just a thought. It might help draw a bigger crowd.

Toby

subsonic
02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm OK with .375". If it would help, I might even be convinced on a dual crimp groove.

Ed K
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
What is the nose length?

The nose length on that bullet is about 0.395".