PDA

View Full Version : '88GEW commision rifle.

Freightman
01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Cleaning out my closet and took a couple of sewing machines that my wife hasn't used in twenty five years to the pawn shop. While I was there I looked at a commission rifle in original condition but it was way to rich for my pocket book $650, as far as I could see the barrel was not marked with a S so I figure it is still the .318 8mm not the .323. It had no import marks and was in pretty good shape for as old as it is.
Just too expensive for my limited funds.

frnkeore
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I like Commision rifles a lot, I have three of them. The first one, I bought on Gun Broker five years ago for $160. it has three things going for it. It's marked "NM" meaning new metal and it was modified to take stripper clips and has the bolt head. The stock is barely ok and the bore is barely shootable (rough but, good rifling).

Second, I bought for $100 out the door, better overall and it's a '05 (stripper clip mod). Good bore, good stock and has the cleaning rod and bolt head. It shoots well.

Third, I bought for $40 at a gun show, it's the best condition of the three. It's a '05 modification. The bore is like new and the stock is excellent but, it had no bolt head. I just switch bolt heads around. Missing bolt heads are a common thing in '88's so, ALWAYS check that first. If it's not there, there will be a big hole in the bolt and you'll see about 1/2" of the firing pin.

All my rifles are marked S but, that only means that they will chamber the later 154 gr sptizer cartridge. Most of the 88's are approx. .321 grooves and the 154 gr sptizer had only the last part of it at .323.

If you buy one, slug the barrel and shoot a cast bullet about .001 - .003 larger than the groove diameter. You'll find them as small as .316.

So, my opinion is, don't pay more than $200 for one with a bolt head and a shootable bore. The exception to that is the carbine (18" barrel and spoon bolt handle), KAR 88. Those will bring about $500+.

Tell your pawn guy to check them on Gun Brooker and get back to you :)

Frank

adrians
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
" So, my opinion is, don't pay more than $200 for one with a bolt head and a shootable bore. The exception to that is the carbine (18" barrel and spoon bolt handle), KAR 88. Those will bring about $500+". frnkeore ..

the $650 for a Gew 88 is as mentioned is really steep, $200 for a 'j' bore is in my opinion about right ,,,if it's a shooter that is.
i have two 88's both are 'j' bore ( .318 +/- ) .
my steyr cost me IIRC $125 otd and as for the all matching KAR , well we won't go there[smilie=l:
i will never let these oldies go even though i have numerous milsurps the gews hold a special place my heart and my safe ..
they ain't bad shooters either[smilie=1:
have a good evening ,,,,:twisted::coffee::evil:

wellfedirishman
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
$650 Wow, did it belong to Kaiser Wilhelm's personal collection? :)

I just picked up a decent one for about $150 + shipping on Gunbroker, so there are ones to be had for reasonable prices.

frnkeore
01-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Darn Adrian, that KAR 88 sure makes a guy drool :)

Frank

adrians
01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
yer she was tucked away in a guy's gun case at a local antique mall (my wife has a booth there) for ever.
the older man was asking $800 for her and he just wouldn't budge on price , so i let it sit there for about 8 months (it was a nerve racking 8 months hopeing nobody would snag it) .
i asked him every week if he would take $600,no deal ,stubborn old coot .
Well after this went on for a couple of months it just got to be a standing joke up at the mall,,, $600---nope--- ahggggg!.
one weekend i just blurted out $675 and he said $690 ( why 690 i don't know) and i said done and got my money card out and swiped it there and then.
i couldn't bare to see anybody else get her ,i was in love by now.
the rifle is an Erfurt 1891with everything matching right down to the little extractor, bolt head ,screws,,ect.
good shooter too......:twisted::coffee::twisted:

KCSO
01-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Funny thing is that for all the harping about a 318 boore I have yet to slug one that went less than 321. The 88's are good shooters and the chambers in most are cut so close you almost can't resize the cases.

frnkeore
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
KCSO,
Same here. My three (even the rough bore) are all between .321 and .3215. There are Czech ones (most made for S Amer) that are basic .316 grooves as I understand. The Old Western Scrouger imported a lot of thoughs. the good thing about the 88's is that there are a lot of old 32 cal rifle bullet molds that you can shoot in them.

Frank

Multigunner
01-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Funny thing is that for all the harping about a 318 boore I have yet to slug one that went less than 321. The 88's are good shooters and the chambers in most are cut so close you almost can't resize the cases.

The tight chamber neck seems to be the problem when S bore ammo is used. A too tight neck coupled with a bullet/propellent combo that results in the bullet begining to bump up before exiting the neck causes a great increase in chamber pressure early in the ignition/burning curve.

While many of these rifles have bores of .321 or larger, some have much tighter bores. Some of the commercial sporters built on these actions were not intended for jacketed bullets of any type, the bores on the tight side and the steel used not of a type recommended for jacketed bullets.

When the Gew 88 rifles still in use in Germany were re-proofed only those with the earler .318-.321 bores failed the re-proof. Enough of these tighbore rifles failed that the whole breed took a hit in the reputation.
This coupled with an early production design flaw, and resulting newspaper driven scandal aimed at the manufacturer, made generations of shooters and collectors extremely leery of these fine old rifles.
I would say that Remington's decision to download the 8mm sporting ammo, and use of undersized soft bullets, was a good call. The average owner of these rifles would have been unlikely to have gone to the extra effort to determine just what bore size and chamber they had.

The numerous high pressure 7.92X57 special purpose MG and LMG cartridges manufactured during WW2 and later, some of German origin and others from nations where compatability with rifles chambered for this round was not a concern, makes it vital to know as much as possible about the rifle and available ammunition.

PS
If dealing with a sporting rifle built on the Gew 88 type action the markings denoting the bullet type the barrel is intended to use are as follows.
K.M.G. "Kupfer Mantle Geschoss" ( copper jacketed)
"Bl.g" which stands for Lead bullets.

Barrels intended for a Cupro-Nickel clad Steel Jacketed bullet are marked
'ST. M.G.' which stands for "Stahl Mantle Geschoss"

Old Iron Sights
01-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I picked one up an 1890 Steyr on gunboards that most likely came the S American route. Has the 316 czech barrel but a total mix master. Bolt appears to match itself though. I have some 320 CB that I'm going to try in her tomorrow with some light loads of trail boss and 4895.

Pretty rough condition but great bore. unaltered other than the barrel.