PDA

View Full Version : A good casting session

Jim
03-11-2007, 06:57 AM
I managed to get out in the shop yesterday afternoon and fire up the ol' pot. 71 500 gr. round nose bore riders for the .45-70. Got started on turning out some .452-255-RNFPs for my Colt but I think the sprue plate was a bit loose. The back of the boolits started flanging.
I use a small bronze wire brush to clean the top of the mold from time to time. Ya' reckon I've taken metal off the top and ruined it? I wouldn't have a problem buying a new one as I've had this one several years. I just wouldn't wanna spend money needlessly. It would be nice if I could correct it and keep goin'.

Jim

Bret4207
03-11-2007, 07:23 AM
I doubt your brush will ruin it if you're just brushing the crap ff the top. Nice to have a good day isn't it?

Jim
03-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Bret, yeah, it is nice to have a good day! However, I was a bit bummed by the failure I experienced with the .452-255-RNFP. I shoot a lot of those. It could be simply that the sprue screw was a bit loose and I didn't catch it.

Jim

44man
03-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Jim, try adjusting the plate tension by looking between it and the top of the blocks. Sometimes when you get it just right you will not see any more light. Some moulds are very touchy and too loose or tight will tip the plate.
I have some molds that need a tight plate and others are loose but none are loose enough to swing by themselves unless I jerk the mold.
I don't like a flopping plate, it always gets in the way when trying to get a boolit to drop.
Make sure you keep a touch of lube under the plate right at the screw, this is a strong wear point. If the block gets scored bad and worn there, it will tip the plate.