PDA

View Full Version : Odd .303 Enfield Scope Mount I.D. (if possible)

Hamish
01-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Of course, I did'nt think to take pic.s till I had the scope mounted. Picked the rifle up for a good price, partially because of the "outside the box" scope mounting system some "smith" came up with.

It appears at first glance to be a piece of pipe, but I don't think it is. It has flats underneath cut for bolt travel, when I put the screws in the bases, they just barely protruded, but stopped the bolt from opening.

Please ignore the suckage as you attempt to look at the pictures, I will try to dig out a real cam. tommorow.

Anyone seen anything like it?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=667

303Guy
01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Ooh! That doesn't look very substantial at all. Might I suggest a strong and hard bedding compound under the base. Trimming the screws so they don't protrude is no problem - if you have tiny hands and fingers. The trick is to drill and tap a steel plate to hold the screws so the tips can be carefully ground down.

KCSO
01-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Never seen such a critter in 40 years of 303's!

1Shirt
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
My dad would have said it looks sort of like a cross between a barbed wire fence and and SOB.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Dutchman
02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
It's a jury rigged thing. It shows ONE Weaver base attached to a home-made "adapter".

Dutch

toolz568
02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
This is the type of mount a machinist sugested to fix a really bad drill and tap job. Looks more fabricated then machined, but either way I like the idea. How sturdy is the single mount?