PDA

View Full Version : Needed: 9x19mm load - 140gr Miha

Dannix
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Thoughts? I'd love to hear from the other guys who picked up this mould.

Powders I have on hand: AA#7, Silhouette, WSF, Universal, Unique

I'm experimenting with AA#7 at the moment, but if that doesn't work out, I'll start playing with Silhouette at the expense of some fps.

birdadly
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I got this mould a few months back and hope to start using it in the next few weeks or so. It will only be my 2nd caliber that I've cast/reloaded for, and wonder about loads as well.

I've looked back a few months in these posts and have mostly found examples for 124gr boolits. In my Lyman and Hornady books I only see 124 and 147gr, and am not sure how to vary from those numbers for a boolit not in the book.

I currently use Unique for my 45acp, but sort of hoped to try something different after my pound is gone, as it doesn't seem to meter very consistently for me. I'll be using a Springfield Armory XD. -Brad

Blammer
02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
birdadly, use the 147 gr load data for you 140gr cast boolit and you'll be fine.

substituting a lighter bullet is not a problem, but substituting a heavier bullet IS.

Dannix
02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
substituting a lighter bullet is not a problem, but substituting a heavier bullet IS.
this.

The alloy: I'm using air-cooled 95-2.5-2.5 alloy.

The gun: FN alloy Hi Power

My experiments with fast and hot AA#7 loads proved to be rather inaccurate. (I'm looking for at least <=1" size groups at 10-15yrds, and I was getting ~6"). I didn't experiment with OAL with this powder, but just simply held it at 1.152". A 140grn at ~1050fps is a pretty serious pill, but it's useless if it is inaccurate. I decided to tone it down a notch for my Hi Power anyway. Perhaps for slower 9mm powders like AA#7, I should try waterdropped? I need to re-read some of the threads I've read here.

I also got 'nose drop' with this boolit at 1.152" OAL. Your results may vary, but I would plan on starting shorter than 1.15"

I tried a few 4.1grn WSF loads (~950-965fps iirc), and in the quick and informal testing, it grouped about 4" at about 8yrds. OAL as ~1.125-1.130. 1.130 seemed to group a notch better than the slightly shorter rounds, but it was hardly a statical sample.

I may continue to work with WSF (which is reportedly inverse temperature sensitive, FYI), at lease because I have a pound of it, but I'm also going to try Silhouette. I like Silhouette in my 115grn Precision Delta j-word load.

After tinkering with the above, I grabbed my Glock and shot about half a mag of my dwindling supply of 115grn Precision Delta j-word loads, and I was reminded how much I like both the gun and the load. My rate of fire was way up, and the load is as accurate as I can shot (http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/showpost.php?p=1160976&postcount=37). Even if I do find a properly accurate load for this 140grn boolit, I may end up preferring lighter boolits. I think I'm beginning to understand what the "gamers" are taking about with regard to "impulse."

birdadly
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info on using the 147gr info. I just wanted to mention that I got my first cast/reloads done for my XD this weekend and was able to get out and try them!

The shortest range I was able to get to was an 18 yarder. I guess I'm used to shooting closer to 10 yards, as I'm still fairly new to shooting more often.

Anyway, I took this 140gr boolit and dropped it ontop of some Unique... 3.2gr, 3.4gr, 3.6gr and 3.8gr. I set them all at 1.140" OAL. That length passed the drop test and manually cycled in my XD, so I went with it.

Since it was further than I usually shoot, cold and windy, accuracy was out the door. All of them fired just fine which was very cool. However, some of the 3.2gr ones couldn't cycle the next boolit into the chamber, so I'm guessing there wasn't enough powder.

So I think I'm going to go with 3.6gr of Unique on my next batch, shoot at a closer target and see how the accuracy is.

I'm happy! This is the second caliber now that I've cast for and success again! You guys are great for helping new guys out and I hope in time I can return the favors!! -Brad

birdadly
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi fellas. Question time. I did make up another 100 rounds with my 3.6gr of Unique and hope to go shooting today, mostly to try using up that powder since I don't like it. I should try a different powder measure perhaps, but I literally have to weigh every drop as I get anywhere from 3.1 to 3.9gr with it. I've cleaned it several times, have the small drop tube thing... so I just don't know.

Enough about that, back to my question. I bought some W231 on recommendation for my 45acp and 9mm (to replace Unique)... but now that I bought it, and look in my Lyman book... 231 is used for lead boolits weighing in at 90, 120 and 120, but NOT the 147!! So does this mean I simply CAN'T use W231 for this 140gr Mihec boolit?

Thanks much for any insight! -Brad

Dannix
03-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey Brad,

I'll shoot you a PM. Please start a new thread though as I'm sure others will want to contribute, but I'd like to keep this thread more towards favourite loads rather than more basic advice. Thanks!

PM en route! :)