PDA

View Full Version : Easy primers?

jrayborn
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I think I read somewhere that Federal Primers are the easiest to light off, is that correct? Is standard easier than magnum?

I have an SP101 that has one sweet trigger but isn't 100 percent with Federal Magnum primers.

I will go up a pound in spring weight, but wondering if there is another primer I should also try?

Thanks!

Bullet Caster
01-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Personally I use Federal and CCI primers, whatever is available in the gun store locally. I don't order primers on-line because of the Haz-mat charges. I've heard that Federal are the easiest to thouch off. BC

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2012, 06:37 AM
feds are definately easier to get to ignite. especially if your shooting double action or have a gun that someone has reduced the hammer spring tension. I pretty much use them exclusively in my handgun loading anymore. That way i can grab a box of ammo and know it will go bang in any of my guns. Theres a few exceptions. i still like cci 350s for slow burning powder. One time i will never sway from using feds is if a gun is going to be used in competition or for self defense. In those two cases a hammer falling and just going click just doesnt cut it.

44man
01-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I hate to be a preacher (maybe you fellas should call me that!) [smilie=l:A hammer spring should fire any primer ever put under it.
Death of accuracy is a too light spring just for a trigger job and is never needed and to put a kit in is a sure way to get in trouble if you ever NEED the gun.
Anytime an easier primer is needed, change the spring!
Years of shooting IHMSA would see a drastic drop off of accuracy. Springs actually took a 1/2" set and a change would turn the gun back into what it is supposed to do.
I recently had a S&W here that failed to fire and shot like junk. I found someone had filed off part of the strain screw to lighten the trigger. Instant cure without a spring change.
I go to Wolff over power variable springs in all single actions now, they hold up. I will go from 22# factory to 26# Wolff. Rifle primers need 28#.
I am a contrary old goat for sure. :holysheep But I wish guys would leave hammer springs alone and change them if they get weak.

jrayborn
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Call it preaching or call it teaching, that's really what I'm here for.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jon

Freightman
01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I hate to be a preacher (maybe you fellas should call me that!) [smilie=l:A hammer spring should fire any primer ever put under it.
Death of accuracy is a too light spring just for a trigger job and is never needed and to put a kit in is a sure way to get in trouble if you ever NEED the gun.
Anytime an easier primer is needed, change the spring!
Years of shooting IHMSA would see a drastic drop off of accuracy. Springs actually took a 1/2" set and a change would turn the gun back into what it is supposed to do.
I recently had a S&W here that failed to fire and shot like junk. I found someone had filed off part of the strain screw to lighten the trigger. Instant cure without a spring change.
I go to Wolff over power variable springs in all single actions now, they hold up. I will go from 22# factory to 26# Wolff. Rifle primers need 28#.
I am a contrary old goat for sure. :holysheep But I wish guys would leave hammer springs alone and change them if they get weak.
Right on, nothing more frustrating than to pull the trigger and nothing.

jrayborn
01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Ya, but its good medicine for a flinch!

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Only thing ill add to 44 mans is its not allways just reducing hammer springs. Most redhawks wont run a cci primer double action right out of the box reliably. No doubt reduced springs and lighter primer hits effect accuracy but sometimes like in a comp gun you have to compromise and lighten the springs. Fed primers will still go off in them and still maintain accuaracy.

44man
01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Only thing ill add to 44 mans is its not allways just reducing hammer springs. Most redhawks wont run a cci primer double action right out of the box reliably. No doubt reduced springs and lighter primer hits effect accuracy but sometimes like in a comp gun you have to compromise and lighten the springs. Fed primers will still go off in them and still maintain accuaracy.
Yeah, the RH is a funny gun, one spring for the hammer and trigger. I have one heck of a time working on them. Then the grip is horrible.
It is a gun I do not care to own. Now the SRH---wonderful!

Kraschenbirn
01-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Has your gun had any kind of a "trigger job?" My SP101 (3" .357M) had its innards deburred/polished and a set of Wolfe springs installed shortly after I bought it (6 or 7 years ago) but has never failed to go 'BANG' with anything I've stuffed in the cylinder. Fed, Rem, W-W, or Tula; factory or reloads; .38 Spl or Mags...doesn't matter at all and I've, probably, run 4 or 5 thousand rounds through the gun.

On the other hand, I can recall a pretty well-known pistolsmith who, at one time, recommended use of nothing but Federals in his PPC and Bowling Pin revolvers.

Bill

jrayborn
01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes I must admit, the fault is mine. I put in the lightest spring offered by Wolff and polished everything that moves inside the mechanism. Very nice double action, just not hard enough strike. I have removed 34 grains from the hammer as well to help ignition and am very close, just not enough so I will go up a pound in spring weight.

Oddly enough it seems to ignite Wolf primers better than Federal!

Thats fine with me.

Jon