PDA

View Full Version : Nose first sizing in a H & I die ?

Johnch
03-11-2007, 01:20 AM
I have a Savage 110 with a after market 308 heavy barrel on it .
Not sure the brand , just says 7.62 x 51
It shoots cast GREAT , except it dosn't have a throat , or it is real , REAL short .
If a band extends out of the mouth more than .1 , it starts to engrave .
I hate having to seat the bullets with a grease grove below the neck .
Also the nose engraves a lot , unless I am shooting a Lyman under sized nose bullet .
I have to shoot anything I chamber , it will stick a bullet every now and then ........ERR about 1/2 the time , depending on the design

I know I could have the throat lengthened , but I would perferr not to because it shoots so well .
Hate to chance messing it up

So I was wondering ..................... make a sizer to size the bullet to fit better
Could I use a Old style .285 or .278 sizer die
Open it up to size the nose to bore di. + .001 or .002
Then a quick taper to .311 or .312 , grove is .3095 - .310
Would have to grind the pin to fit the nose , may have to make several to fit different bullets .
I figure a flat top punch , would be easy to make .

Here's the big questions
Fill the lube holes in the nose area , to try to keep it clean ??

Would the nose still get lube on it ?

Relocate a hole or 2 to the area where the lube groves are ?
I have a freind that can EDM small stuff for me , or would I drill them before I open the sizer di. .

Could I seat a GC in this die , or would it be better to seat it in a seperate step .
In the normal base first manner ?

A little project to keep me out of trouble ................ Maybe ..........Or way to much trouble ?

Johnch

Buckshot
03-11-2007, 02:00 AM
.................If you mean opening up a .285" die to .300" or so you have a career ahead of you :-) Even using diamond paste it'd be a chore. I won't open up an existing sizeer more then .004" as it's easier to just make a new one.

You'd also have to make a new pin. You wouldn't have to match it to the nose via grinding. Just use a suitable centerdrill to form a cavity and then a dab of epoxy and stick the nose in.

For a nose sizer all you need is a reduced ring appropriately located in the die body. You'd could do this: Roll the boolits on a caselube pad, then with a flat nose punch (or in this case, base punch) and push the bullet in nose first to size the nose, then eject it. After that it's merely a matter of normally lube-sizing and seating the GC normally. I suppose you could also do the nose after lube-sizing too. I don't know what proceedure Charger uses.

I made Charger a couple nose sizers. One was .300" and the last was a .301" die. No lube holes. Both had drive band diameter mouths and a taper to the reducing band. For some reason the .301" sizer was a real bugaboo as I had hell hitting size that for some reason. I guess the planets weren't aligned right or something :-) but I finally nailed it.

...............Buckshot

Uncle Grinch
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm not a gunsmith, but it seems you are trying to cure the symptoms and should be working on the cause.

Surely there is a way someone can open the throat of your barrel with a reamer of some type.

Am I just being to simplistic?