PDA

View Full Version : First cast with new mould, excellent!

prs
01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
This mould was received from Midway a week or so ago and I cleaned it with dish washing liquid and water and rinsed with hot water, then light rinse with distilled water and left to air dry. I could find no flaws on this 6 cavity 452-230-TC except the corner of the spru cutter plate was going to scribe the blocks between cavity 1 and 2, so a couple of strokes with a mill file blunted that. I lubed the pins, pivots, spru plate lock, and hinge with Stihl 2cycle oil on a cotton swab. With the alloy at 700 and the moulds hot it was dropping nice boolits right away and as soon as I found what it liked for a pour rate and angle it dropped excellent booiits. I relubed with NRA lube during the session because the oil seemed to not last long. Very consistent weight at 234 grains and a good sample of measurments were all 452 or 4525. Out of 10pounds of boolits, about 300, I only culled 6 and 2 of those were because I dropped them. I do not like the bevel base, but that is how it is. The last mould I got from Lee was this good too, a TL401-175-SWC. Usually it takes some Leementing and a wear-in period for me to get consistent production.

prs