PDA

View Full Version : Warming Bullets

jimkim
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't have a heater for my Lyman 450 yet. I've been using an iron to keep it warm and really don't care for that. I was wondering if I preheated the bullets on an old MR Coffee warmer, would that work better. What do you think?

I am planning on either buying a heater or making a base that will take a cartridge heater. :coffeecom

mooman76
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't think heating bullets will help. You need to transfer the heat to the sizer so it will soften the lube enough so that it flows easier. Try a hair drier. It works better and faster than you would think and the press holds the heat for awhile. I've also heard a spot light or heat lamp works good too. I bought heater plate for fine and it takes awhile to warm it up. That's fine if you remember to plug it in ahead of time or don't mind waiting or have something to do while waiting.

01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Warm boolits aren't going to warm the sizer and soften the lube. I use a clamp-on, goose-neck lamp with a 100 Watt bulb.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
My casting room is kinda cold.
My sizer is mounted on a steel plate.
So, in the winter, I use a magnetic engine heater
like you are using the Iron.
I also put the boolits on this steel plate to warm up some.

I think the boolits being warm helps lube adhesion.
and I think it helps the lube flow around the groove.
Jon

DLCTEX
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
My casting room is kinda cold.
My sizer is mounted on a steel plate.
So, in the winter, I use a magnetic engine heater
like you are using the Iron.
I also put the boolits on this steel plate to warm up some.

I think the boolits being warm helps lube adhesion.
and I think it helps the lube flow around the groove.
Jon

+1. Tractor Supply had them for $15:lovebooli

wgr
01-26-2012, 01:49 AM
when its cold out i use a coleman heater. the one that goes on top of the bottle. just set it close behind the lube sizer and it warms the lube and my hands

Shiloh
01-27-2012, 08:05 PM
My basement is cold in the winter. Larsen's BAC which flows fine in the summer, needs help in winter.

Harbor freight heat gun to get thinks started. Then the iron on the aluminum plate set on low, keeps things steady.
You can use the heat gun as the warmer, just need to reheat when things get stiff.

Shiloh

jimkim
01-27-2012, 08:50 PM
I used a hairdryer this morning. The lube had pressure on it from the last time I used it, and the first bullet I sized ended up with a thimble sized wad of lube under it. The hairdryer got it WAY warmer than the iron. It was nice not having any resistance when I turned the ratchet. Now if I could just get a .452" sizer that's the right size, I'd be "cooking with gas".

My last one had .452 written on it, and sized to .449". The replacement has 452 written on it, and sizes to .453". My other dies are fine. I just can't seem to get a .452" sizing die.

mooman76
01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I used a hairdryer this morning. The lube had pressure on it from the last time I used it, and the first bullet I sized ended up with a thimble sized wad of lube under it. The hairdryer got it WAY warmer than the iron. It was nice not having any resistance when I turned the ratchet. Now if I could just get a .452" sizer that's the right size, I'd be "cooking with gas".

My last one had .452 written on it, and sized to .449". The replacement has 452 written on it, and sizes to .453". My other dies are fine. I just can't seem to get a .452" sizing die.

Been there done that. That's why now I always back off the pressure when I am finished lubing so next time the lube doesn't come out while warming the press.

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
If you use the Lee sizing die could you pan lube the boolits before/after they are sized?

DavZee
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Now if I could just get a .452" sizer that's the right size, I'd be "cooking with gas". My last one had .452 written on it, and sized to .449". The replacement has 452 written on it, and sizes to .453". My other dies are fine. I just can't seem to get a .452" sizing die.

I've got the same problem with a .452 die. It sizes to .450. Is buying a new die the only fix? If I send it to Lyman will they send me a new one of the right size?

jimkim
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
I got a new one, but it's the one that's sizing to .453". I'm thinking it might just be better to take it to a machine shop(or tech school), and have them finish ream it out to the right diameter. That's not an option for me, since I no longer have the small one.