PDA

View Full Version : Pinning handles.

JeffinNZ
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Team.

Just pinned my new Lee 6 cavity handles and the existing two pairs of RCBS.

Why, when it is such a small operation, don't the manufacturers do this? The wooden handles ALWAYS come loose. For goodness sake, Lee clearly state it and suggest fixes.

dragonrider
01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
I stuff the handle hole with some of that steel epoxy, push the handle back one and it will never move again.

Shiloh
01-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Gonna try that. Mine has toothpicks in the handles and the tangs wedged in.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
I have stuck them with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) and with J B Weld epoxy with good results.

beagle
01-25-2012, 09:51 PM
I drilled mine through the ferruls and tapped them for a 8-32 machine screw and have had no further trouble./beagle

stubshaft
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
JB Weld for me. I think they left the handles loose in order to replace them more easily. I have had a couple of Lyman handles crack and replaced them with drilled out sections of broom handles.

cajun shooter
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
The first thing I do with all Lee handles is take off each handle and mix up a good batch of JB WELD. I apply it the the metal handles and not try and stuff it into the wood as you would have several voids this way. I make sure the largest amount is at the base and as the handle is slid back on it distributes the epoxy the entire length.
You should also put the handle on the side it came off of.
They have a factory fit and if you try to install them wrong, it's a hard no go. When the excess epoxy comes to the end of the handle, take a piece of flat wood like a tongue depressor and make a mound around the handle entrance. This will stop any sink holes from forming back into the handle.
They will never come off again while casting and will most likely be there for quite some time with the added strength. Take Care David

HangFireW8
01-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Team.

Just pinned my new Lee 6 cavity handles and the existing two pairs of RCBS.

Why, when it is such a small operation, don't the manufacturers do this? The wooden handles ALWAYS come loose. For goodness sake, Lee clearly state it and suggest fixes.

Lee's are cheap enough that you can excuse them for leaving some work for you. Don't know what to say about the rest.

I just took some Lee handles to the belt sander and then put them on an RCBS mold. Maybe they won't last as many decades as a pair of RCBS handles, but I would be pinning, RTV Red'ding, or epoxying the wood on them at about the same time.

-HF