PDA

View Full Version : Re; Desert Eagle .44

44man
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I tried 300 gr XTP's this morning and got a surprise with this gun. I started with 19.5 gr's of 296, went to 20 and 20.5. I put my old red dot on to test loads.
These were shot at 50 yd's from bags.

454PB
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Lookin' good! That's identical to my D.E.

dubber123
03-11-2007, 01:49 AM
44man, good shootin!, keep tinkering with it, don't be surprised if it doesn't go from very good to great. You might try some Speer Gold dots in it, they work exceptionally well in the .50 AE Desert Eagle.

44man
03-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Dubber, might be a little difficult since 20 gr's put 4 out of 5 shots in 3/4" at 50 yd's and I was using a red dot that covers the center of the bullseye. I think a gun built as loose as these are, shooting that good, is going to be hard to improve on.
I am going to try 19.8 gr's next though. I noticed that as soon as I went over 20 gr's, the gun started to torque and recoil different and it started to throw the empties scattered.
This bullet is very accurate in my revolvers at 20.5 but I seat the bullet out to the lower crimp groove. Having to seat deeper to the upper crimp groove for the Eagle's magazine accounts for the half gr difference for the accuracy point.
Can you post some 50 yd targets shot with your 50 AE? I am interested in how they do because I am getting an itch to get one for myself.

dubber123
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
44man, my brothers got the 50, I was too cheap to buy it when it came up for sale. I don't know how many targets he saved, but I know he's got one that I shot at I believe 85 yds. thats under 1-1/2". This too was with a red dot scope, and I know what you mean, that dot covers a lot of target. We've shot a couple different loads with e Gold Dots, and I bet 1" or less at 50 wouldn't be a problem. Really surprising as you say for how they're built. Hows the trigger on yours? This particular gun broke in 50 shots, and came back from the factory with a much improved trigger, which helped alot.

44man
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
The trigger has some creep after the two stage is taken up but it breaks clean. This is my friends gun so I am not going to mess with it. I have to remove the red dot when he picks it up. I am worried about getting it sighted because he has fixed sights and I know the front sight is not going to be high enough. I also worry about the rear sight being on the slide and being in a different position in relation to the front from shot to shot.
I can't believe the gun is as accurate as it is but I have a couple of BFR's that are amazing. Magnum research sells pretty good guns and you have to spend double or triple to get better.
I wish I was rich!

dubber123
03-11-2007, 02:34 PM
44man, we shot this 50 a good bit with the irons, but only at 25 yds. The groups were typically n egged out hole. No idea how they would fare at 50 or more. The dot seemed to be a big improvement. When this gun went back for repairs, I remember having them replace the front with a higher one, and my friend, (the origional owner), put an adjustable Millet rear on. I found that one target, it was 1.8" at 85 yds. Not super, but for a 3" dot, not bad. I bet my friend a regular pistol scope would cut that in half. These things will shoot.

454PB
03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Mine will put all 8 rounds in 4" at 50 yards with the stock sights. I'm sure a scope or dot sight would reduce that at least by half. I've actually owned two of these, I sold the Parkerized one. I had to put a taller front blade on it, and it shot the same group sizes. The chrome plated one is a lot prettier.