View Full Version : Dillon "no" BS warranty

ph4570
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
So much for Dillon's "no" BS warranty. My RT1200 case trimmer has issues. I called them. The first fellow said maybe it got wet -- no, maybe the bearings are dried out.... Then he said time takes its toll and there was nothing he could do.

I asked to speak to the supervisor who used different verbiage but had the same bottom line. He said their "no" BS warranty does not apply to motors (only 1 year).

Thought others may wish to know.

felix
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
What is the NEMA number on that motor. I might be able to help. ... felix

ph4570
01-25-2012, 02:00 PM
What is the NEMA number on that motor. I might be able to help. ... felix

Felix, thanks for the offer to help. There does not appear to be a NEMA number on it. Its markings:
HAWKER
FASCO
VON WEISE GEARMOTORS
Model V03345ACB1
115 Volt DC
1/4 HP 2.8 Amp
500 RPM

It runs but makes some nasty noises, gets hot way too quickly and pops the GFI circuit after a short time. I had not used it in a couple of years. It was stored well.

It is a DC motor. Problem may be brushes and perhaps bearings. I will take the beast apart and investigate.

I really appreciate the offer to help and will keep it in mind if I get stumped.

scrapcan
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
if you have a bad bearing the armature might be hitting the stator. new bearings might cure that for you. If you have it apart you might try to get some bearing numbers. could have metalic cuttings inside also causing havoc, maybe a good cleaning will help.

ph4570
01-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Update,

I disassembled the motor and found bad news. One of the two stator magnets had apparently come unglued from the housing and was shattered in two pieces. The bearings, brushes and armature appear ok. I do not suppose one can buy new magnets and epoxy them back in.

VON WEISE GEARMOTORS website has only a listing for a brush kit. The motor model seems to be obsolete.

SquirrelHollow
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
So much for Dillon's "no" BS warranty. My RT1200 case trimmer has issues. I called them. The first fellow said maybe it got wet -- no, maybe the bearings are dried out.... Then he said time takes its toll and there was nothing he could do.

I asked to speak to the supervisor who used different verbiage but had the same bottom line. He said their "no" BS warranty does not apply to motors (only 1 year).

The warranty literature that accompanies Dillon products clearly states the coverages. Electronics and motors don't get the same treatment as their mechanical items.

I know it takes a few minutes of your time, when you want to play with your new toys; but checking out the instructions, warnings, and warranty can be an eye-opener with most products. Reading it right after the purchase (or before, if possible) really helps prevent undue disappointment, like you are currently experiencing.

ph4570
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Squirrel,

Not that it actually matters but perhaps it should -- When I purchased the unit there was no stated warranty limitation. Dillon says they added the motor product's one year warranty limitation in 1999.

rsrocket1
01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Interesting. Someone recently posted that he got a Dillon replacement trimmer after burning out his motor. He was trimming (grinding down?) .223 cases for use in 300 Blackout. The trimmer burned out after only a thousand or so cases(!). Maybe that's why they now enforce not replacing a burned out motor.

Daddyfixit
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Squirrel,

Not that it actually matters but perhaps it should -- When I purchased the unit there was no stated warranty limitation. Dillon says they added the motor product's one year warranty limitation in 1999.

That should make ALL the differance, If when purchaced, say 1997, it should be covered and the limitation maybe put on the replacement motor. Does that mean that a year from now they can change the policy on their press and not cover any older presses????????? No wonder we have more lawyers per capita then anyone in the world!!!
Don't know about the Bulls but watch your step around the cows!:wink:

scrapcan
01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
ph4570,

you might remove the magnet, clean up the insides, and put it all back together and see if it will run and do it's job. You might get lucky or you might have a low powered paper weight.

at this point it may get you a bit more timeout of it.

Did you ask Dillon if you can buy the new motor from them? You might also see if you have an electric motor repair shop in your area.

Mk42gunner
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Look for FASCO on the internet, they may have a gearmotor that will fit for your application. I found this out when replacing one of the four electric motors in my corn/ pellet stove.

If you can't find anything, try the Iburncorn forum, there is a lot of info about small gearmotors there.

Robert

Fishman
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Listen to manleyjt. I have had electric motors repaired at a local shop and the price is always way less than I expect, like $10 or $20 even for big ones. If you find a good shop, they should be able to fix it no problem.

ph4570
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks to you all for the tips and ideas.

I have not given up on Dillon yet. I will draft correspondence indicating that I purchased the item prior to the 1999 warranty limitation on motors and electrical items and therefore my unit should be covered by the no BS warranty at the time of purchase. I'll update this post with any useful results.

I'll also look into repairing it or having it repaired

1hole
01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
" the same bottom line. He said their "no" BS warranty does not apply to motors (only 1 year)."

No one provides a lifetime warrantee on electrical/electronic components. And that's no BS!

UNIQUEDOT
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
It sounds like you have certainly had it long enough to get your moneys worth out of it assuming you have used it enough over the years. It also sounds like a manufacturing defect rather than a normal wear and tear situation. It doesn't sound like it would be too expensive to just have it repaired though.

ph4570
01-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I have used it very little. Shortly after buying all the gear we started a family and the shooting/reloading activity was put on hold. Many years later the youngest boy and I began anew. That was about six years ago. However, I did not start reloading bottleneck cartridges again until just recently and had no use for the trimmer until then as it will only do the bottlenecks. The unit had no more than a few hours of use. Other than the magnet issue it is pristine.

My suspicion is that the adhesive holding on the magnet failed. That would be an easy fix if the magnet had not fractured upon firing up the unit.

Daddyfixit
01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
" the same bottom line. He said their "no" BS warranty does not apply to motors (only 1 year)."

No one provides a lifetime warrantee on electrical/electronic components. And that's no BS!

Not true! In my industry "SIERRA INTERNATIONAL, INC warrants it's products to be free of defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the vessel on which they were originaly installed..."

So don't call BS as I have used this warranty a few times!! Granted I've been refused a time or two, the proof sometimes is blured!
Clearly a loose magnet is a defect!!

But more to the point is the purchace was before 1999 and no limitations were expressed prior to that date

Alvarez Kelly
01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I have a feeling that Gary will come along soon enough and have something to add...

Recluse
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Dunno, but Dillon has always been a pretty straight shooter. Heck, I remember them rebuilding a press for Lloyd that was destroyed in a fire.

If it were me, I'd probably talk to someone up the line a bit at Dillon and offer to split costs with them. Manufacturers often like to learn from things like this, and it would be an opportunity for them to see what went wrong/broke on the trimmer--something they can take in effect for present and future designs of the same tool.

:coffee:

quasi
01-26-2012, 02:58 AM
I think RCBS warrantys their electric's and electronics.

jimkim
01-26-2012, 05:08 AM
I think RCBS warrantys their electric's and electronics.

They do, for two years on some products and one for others.
http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

SquirrelHollow
01-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Squirrel,

That does make a big difference. If you had pressed the issue (perhaps asked to speak to a different manager/supervisor), and made it clear how old the unit was, I'm sure they would have taken care of it.
(I have very close ties to Dillon Aero and Dillon Precision. Customer satisfaction is second only to putting out a quality product.)

ph4570
01-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I did press the issue. I did talk to a supervisor. I did tell them my unit purchase predated the 1999 limited warranty change.

KohlerK91
01-26-2012, 09:55 PM
"The problem is we cant find a supplier that stays in business"

Thats what dillon rep told me about an electric motor on a CV 2001 tumbler. My tumbler has had one motor put in under waranty and the second one failed again.

No I am not commercial and far from it.

So I disassembled the motor myself to see what was wrong. Siezed upper bearing. And the bearing race it was suppose to press into was "wallered" out. Cheap China bearing in a commercial grade tumbler. :sad:

Called for a replacement motor ans was told I have to send the whole thing top them for retrofit for new motor, which is "Far superior". $110 for the service. From what I gathered the tumbler needs a new base to accept the the "made in Japan motor.

They wont send me the part so I can install it. I would have to pay shipping to them.:-x

ph4570
01-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I have heard that story of the Dillon tumblers far too often. I have had a Lyman turbo 1200 for over 25 years -- keeps on vibrating. Of course that is not to say the newer ones have not fallen victim to poor motors as it seems the Dillon has.

Johnk454
01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
A "forever" warranty on a DC brush gearmotor would not be sustainable. Even if the brushes are changed as they wear down, brush dust blown out, commutator resurfaced if needed, eventually a bearing (doubt the bearings are even ABEC rated or contain high temp grease), gear, or winding will fail.

These motors seem to run hot also - at least mine does. I've put an external fan on mine to help dissipate some of the heat. Don't know the temp rating of the motor wire used in the winding, but that is another potential point of failure. That extra heat is also hard on magnet adhesive. I know for certain when the external surface of a motor is too hot to touch, the internal temps are much higher and life will be brutish and short unless the system is designed to operate in this region.

A dislodged/broken ceramic magnet could also be caused by an impact, such as the gearmotor being dropped.

I don't blame Dillon for not covering this, nor do I really fault the "design". They had to meet a price point, no doubt.

Just a few observations from an engineer that spent 10yrs designing, building, testing and building test equipment for brush & brushless DC motors - both military and commercial.

wv109323
01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
I will add a couple things here for perspective.
Last year the motor on my 20 year old Thumbler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 18 gave up the ghost. The motor is mounted so that the armature shaft is vertical. The motor bearings over time had worn until the rotor came into contact with the end bell. The motor used on their common Ulra- Vibe 18 does not have thrust rated bearings. To get the thrust rated bearings you must move up to the "Professional" model.To make a long story short both motors are a model that are propriotary to Thumblers.. Yelp guaranteed aftermarket sales. I bought the motor for $57.00 and paid a mere $18.00 additional shipping. "Professional " motor was like $96.00 plus shipping.
I bought a Powdermaster Powder Dispenser from RCBS about 8-10 years ago. I used it one time and loaded less than 100 rounds of .223 Remington some 8 years ago. I got it out two weeks ago and it had problems. The Powdermaster would not calibrate and would not dispense the amount of powder that was in" memory".
I called RCBS and was Told: "We do not service that model". The Powdermaster was made by PACT Inc..I Called them and bottom line was $20.00 service plus $14.95 shipping or Update the unit $75.00 plus $14.95 shipping. The unit is off for the rebuild. I remind you that this unit was used one time in it's life. It literally sat on a shelf. It is sad that things are designed to have such a terrible shelf life.

1hole
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
" In my industry "SIERRA INTERNATIONAL, INC warrants it's products to be free of defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the vessel on which they were originaly installed..."

So don't call BS as I have used this warranty a few times!! "

Okay, so I stand corrected by Daddy, at least for his "industry" for "Sierra International, Inc." products but he fails to tell us how long a warrantee on an electric motor lasts - "lifetime of the vessel" really doesn't tell us anything, does it?! (And for what ever industry that is and for who ever and what ever Sierra is.) But NO ONE offers a lifetime warrantee on electric motors and parts, not even Chrysler or GM.)

RCBS warrantees their electrics....for the duration of the warrantee, but it ain't lifetime. And that's no BS! ;)

felix
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Anything that rotates must be turned, even if slightly, every two weeks. The Baldor customers are told that when shelf life is brought up in the sales meetings. Most industrial buyers don't care because of their 24/7 operations. Me, being an average user of rotating equipment, do that to lawnmowers, A/C's, furnaces, cars, fans, and even a couple of spare motors sitting on a shelf. Motors will last 10 times longer, believe me! ... felix

jimkim
01-28-2012, 12:23 AM
I'd like to request a "like" option. So I don't have to post thing such as, "I like and agree with what Felix said." J Felix K Jr.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 01:59 AM

Had the same issue with an early primer warning doo-dad. Their "no BS warranty" is the exact same BS warranty that Sears gives on their tools. "Oh, electric stuff is different".

Dillon is good, as long as it doesn't plug in. More people need to be aware of this.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Squirrel,

THAT'S interesting. I did not know that. My early prime warning was purchased around 1995 and suposedly had a no BS warranty. So, dillon did an ex post facto change to their electrical stuff did they? Let us all that bought blue hope they don't decide to do this with their non electric stuff too. I'm finding more and more BS all the time here.

Recluse
01-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Anything that rotates must be turned, even if slightly, every two weeks. The Baldor customers are told that when shelf life is brought up in the sales meetings. Most industrial buyers don't care because of their 24/7 operations. Me, being an average user of rotating equipment, do that to lawnmowers, A/C's, furnaces, cars, fans, and even a couple of spare motors sitting on a shelf. Motors will last 10 times longer, believe me! ... felix

+1

I have more trouble with my boat when it sits up for extended periods of time, where conversely, I can run it several times a week and she runs like a sewing machine. The airplane is the same way, as are the cars, as are all the things we own that have combustible engines.

I've also found that electronic motors are the same way. Run 'em, run 'em correctly, don't abuse them and you'll generally get pretty good life out of them.

There is no way any manufacturer would be able to give a No BS lifetime warranty for electronics or gasoline motors and stay in business. I've seen the way people maintain their cars. If they don't take any better care of a $25K vehicle, why on earth would they be motivated to take ANY care with a $100 tumbler or drill or microwave, etc?

Had the same issue with an early primer warning doo-dad. Their "no BS warranty" is the exact same BS warranty that Sears gives on their tools. "Oh, electric stuff is different".

Dillon is good, as long as it doesn't plug in. More people need to be aware of this.

Dillon is not alone in the "as long as it doesn't plug in." I've yet to see a manufacturer who could offer a lifetime NO BS warranty on electric motor-driven goods and stay in business.

Either the cost of repair/replacement would drive them out, or the initial purchase cost to the consumer would be so high as to negate sales.

We have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner that we paid over $1500 for back in 1998. Even for THAT obscene price, it didn't come with a lifetime warranty. It's a quality vacuum, to be sure, as we've had zero problems with it, but if we do. . . we pay.

Just the way it is.

Daddyfixit
01-28-2012, 03:43 AM
" In my industry "SIERRA INTERNATIONAL, INC warrants it's products to be free of defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the vessel on which they were originaly installed..."

So don't call BS as I have used this warranty a few times!! "

Okay, so I stand corrected by Daddy, at least for his "industry" for "Sierra International, Inc." products but he fails to tell us how long a warrantee on an electric motor lasts - "lifetime of the vessel" really doesn't tell us anything, does it?! (And for what ever industry that is and for who ever and what ever Sierra is.) But NO ONE offers a lifetime warrantee on electric motors and parts, not even Chrysler or GM.)

RCBS warrantees their electrics....for the duration of the warrantee, but it ain't lifetime. And that's no BS! ;)

It tells you that as long as you own the vessel they'll cover their part, whats so hard to understand? Of course (like RCBS now?) you must have origonal sales slip! And unlike say a tumbler or trimmer the vast majority of people don't keep a boat for ever! I'm sure they're just playing the odds that major engine or drive failure will happen first or more likely can't find the paper work!!

Sierra was part of NAPA then part of Morse and now under the bigger umbrella of Teleflex. Just last week I warranted a 6 year old starter because of a defective armature...can't speek for Chrysler, GM or RCBS but I can talk about Sierra. I've been doing this for 31 years and they have the best warranty of any product line I've sold.
It sound to my that in order to cut costs some suppliers have gone with cheeper overseas products to keep costs down(sound familiar?) and these will not hold up.
When will we understand that we can't continue to buy overseas and keep our jobs? Sorry...I digress.....
Low hours, failed magnet(not a normal wearing part) should = warranty

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2012, 06:14 AM
I think most who buy dillon allready realize there electrical stuff isnt covered under that warantee. It never stops amazing me that dillons warantee is as good as it is. I even throw hornady and rcbs into that mix and a few of the scope manufactures like nikon and leupold. Where else buying anything do you get a lifetime no questions asked warantee on ANYTHING. I can buy a dillon press and know it will be fixed if it breaks (and everything mechanical eventually does) for the rest of my life and even when im gone theyll fix it for my grandkids. Sure wish someone would show me a car manufactures or a tv or refridgerator or washer and dryer or about anything else i can buy with support like that!!!! Dillon went so far as to give me a brand new 550 when mine was lost in the fire i had and gave it to me from free and even threw in a caliber conversion of my choise and a strong mount. Light your truck on fire and see what chev gives you.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
+1

I have more trouble with my boat when it sits up for extended periods of time, where conversely, I can run it several times a week and she runs like a sewing machine. The airplane is the same way, as are the cars, as are all the things we own that have combustible engines.

I've also found that electronic motors are the same way. Run 'em, run 'em correctly, don't abuse them and you'll generally get pretty good life out of them.

There is no way any manufacturer would be able to give a No BS lifetime warranty for electronics or gasoline motors and stay in business. I've seen the way people maintain their cars. If they don't take any better care of a $25K vehicle, why on earth would they be motivated to take ANY care with a $100 tumbler or drill or microwave, etc?

Dillon is not alone in the "as long as it doesn't plug in." I've yet to see a manufacturer who could offer a lifetime NO BS warranty on electric motor-driven goods and stay in business.

Either the cost of repair/replacement would drive them out, or the initial purchase cost to the consumer would be so high as to negate sales.

We have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner that we paid over $1500 for back in 1998. Even for THAT obscene price, it didn't come with a lifetime warranty. It's a quality vacuum, to be sure, as we've had zero problems with it, but if we do. . . we pay.

Just the way it is.

Here's the deal with me. I bought one of their giant case tumblars along 1995 BECAUSE of the no BS warranty for life. It included the electrical at the time. Had they just had the same 1 year warranty as everyone else I would have bought a much cheaper model. I payed much more for a lifetime warranty. Now, after the sale they changed the rules. "Oh, you bought it before 99?" "Sure, we'll warranty that, just send in your original sales slip." Who would need to keep a sales slip with a no BS lifetime warranty??? It is TOTAL BS in my opinion.

Just beware, Dillion has changed the rules on electrical, they may decide to change the rules on non-electrical in the future. Better keep your sales slip cause their no BS warranty may become BS.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I think most who buy dillon allready realize there electrical stuff isnt covered under that warantee.

That's the way it is NOW, but not when I bought my stuff. I paid extra for a lifetime warranty that they now renig on. OH, they'll cover it if I've got my sales slip from 1995 but see, back in 95 the big deal was that you didn't have to worry with that **** because it was a no BS lifetime warranty. Now it has turned into TOTAL BS.

ph4570
01-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I just finished spending 2 hours up in the attic looking for my Dillon power case trimmer receipt from late 80s or early 90's. I did not find it but did manage to kill about 20 black widow spiders. So some good came of it.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I just finished spending 2 hours up in the attic looking for my Dillon power case trimmer receipt from late 80s or early 90's. I did not find it but did manage to kill about 20 black widow spiders. So some good came of it.

I wonder what a complaint with the BBB would do. It may be worth the effort to try it. If you do you may want to show pic/images/screen shots of the very promonent claim of the "no BS lifetime warranty".

ph4570
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
...BBB --

Naw, I harbor no ill feelings towards Dillon. I will send them a snail mail with my story and photos of the failed unit disassembled indicating the failure mode of one magnet coming loose . I will indicate that I purchased it before the 1 year limited warranty was in effect. The picture will show the serial number and perhaps their records will show that the unit predates the current warranty limitation. Maybe they will do something to help me out with the issue.

My original post was not intended to stir up a hornets nest. The bottom line of the post was to alert others to the limited warranty should they be unaware of it.

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2012, 07:03 AM
id about bet if you do it just like you said that it comes back fixed.

Bryan Marino
01-29-2012, 07:18 AM
My Dillon 2000 brass tumbler was ruined in a basement flood when the sump pump drain froze one winter in the '90s, I called Dillon perhaps I could purchase a new motor for it and get it running, they asked what had happened and when I told them they said send it back, we'll send a new one, no charge! Still have it today! Thanks Dillon!

L1A1Rocker
01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
My Dillon 2000 brass tumbler was ruined in a basement flood when the sump pump drain froze one winter in the '90s, I called Dillon perhaps I could purchase a new motor for it and get it running, they asked what had happened and when I told them they said send it back, we'll send a new one, no charge! Still have it today! Thanks Dillon!

You purchased it in the 90's and had the incident in the 90's also? If so that goes with everything I've ever read about them, and why I chose to do business with them in the mid 90's. If however, the incident happened after 1999 and they replaced it I'm suprised. After 1999 they changed the rules on electric stuff to only having a one year warranty, now I regret spending the extra money on dillon products. I'm hoping that the one I bought in 1995 never goes out cause they will no longer honor the "no BS lifetime warranty" attached to the product when I bought it.

L1A1Rocker
01-29-2012, 12:08 PM
id about bet if you do it just like you said that it comes back fixed.

I explained to them that the early warning primer buzzer that I bought in 1995 with the so called "lifetime no BS warranty" stopped working after being in storage in the attack for a few years (no corrosion - just heat) and was told that they only warranty electrical stuff for one year. I wish him the best of luck.

W.R.Buchanan
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
PH4570: Google "Fasco" and the part number. This should take to to a place were you can buy that motor. I would suggest shoppping around as it will be cheaper some places.

I found what I needed at an outfit called "Boat and RV Acessories". http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/

I just bought a Fasco heater fan motor recently and this place was fully 1/2 less $ than any local source, and 1/3 the cost of the exact same factory part. They have hundreds of motors available and maybe they have your motor.

If you go to WW.Grainger you can probably find the motor, then you need to shop that part number for the best price. You should be able to find what you are looking for at 1/3-1/2 the Grainger price.

That's if Dillon doesn't come thru, which for some reason they always seem to do. Have a little faith, that outfit is a good one.

Hope this helps

Randy

mstarling
01-29-2012, 04:26 PM
I've now burned out the motors on two large dillon vibrating tumblers. The first time they said I could send back some parts and get a decent discount on a new one as they'd changed the design. I did so.

Last week after 7 years of relatively easy use the second has died. They want $110 to fix it and it has to be sent back. I have spent the last money I will spend on Dillon tumbers. Looking at alternatives now.

You should also be aware that the Dillon 1050 is not covered by the lifetime warrantee. That was a policy instituted after I bought mine. Fortunately, have never needed any repair parts for it ... and I have loaded a whole bunch of ammo on it in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 300 BLK, and 5.56!

gbrown
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
I've never dealt with Dillon on electrical stuff or electronics. Everytime I have dealt with them on warranties, they have been straight shooters. No problem. All sorts of stuff for a 550B and SDB. I have had friends that had the same experience. Most companies right now are trying to stay afloat by cutting all possible costs. Dillon may be in that boat, I don't know. Also, probably in the past, there were people who took advantage of them with used stuff they wanted to upgrade/refurbish. Heard of that, too. They sell a good product and do a good job in my estimation. One man's opinion, that's all.

imashooter2
01-31-2012, 11:45 PM
I explained to them that the early warning primer buzzer that I bought in 1995 with the so called "lifetime no BS warranty" stopped working after being in storage in the attack for a few years (no corrosion - just heat) and was told that they only warranty electrical stuff for one year. I wish him the best of luck.

They replaced the low primer alarm on my SDB in 2007 after I told them I let a battery corrode in it.

I guess it depends on who you talk to.

ph4570
02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
It has been two weeks since I sent a snail-mail to Dillon concerning the failure of my case trimmer motor. My verbiage was very pleasant and suggested that my unit should enjoy the full no BS warranty in place at the time of purchase (Dillon has subsequently placed a limited warranty on electrical items). I included pictures of the failed unit and the pieces of broken magnet that caused the major armature damage. The photos showed the unit's serial number. I suggested that while I do not have the original sales receipt showing the purchase date that their records may indicate the sales date based on the unit's serial number. The missive included my email address.

Dillon's response:

Nothing, no snail-mail and no email. I am disappointed in the lack of any sort of response. Probably a waste of time but I believe I will send a registered letter addressed to Mike Dillon. It will include my original letter.

L1A1Rocker
02-14-2012, 03:33 AM
It has been two weeks since I sent a snail-mail to Dillon concerning the failure of my case trimmer motor. My verbiage was very pleasant and suggested that my unit should enjoy the full no BS warranty in place at the time of purchase (Dillon has subsequently placed a limited warranty on electrical items). I included pictures of the failed unit and the pieces of broken magnet that caused the major armature damage. The photos showed the unit's serial number. I suggested that while I do not have the original sales receipt showing the purchase date that their records may indicate the sales date based on the unit's serial number. The missive included my email address.

Dillon's response:

Nothing, no snail-mail and no email. I am disappointed in the lack of any sort of response. Probably a waste of time but I believe I will send a registered letter addressed to Mike Dillon. It will include my original letter.

You may also include in your next correspondance that Dillon sales reps often said that retention of the original sales slip was not nessasary because the products had a No BS Lifetime warranty. At the time of the sale Dillon considered the tactic of falling back on the original sales slip that competitiors used was BS.

I'll say it again. Dillon has shown that they will post sale, nullify their no BS lifetime warrenty. They did it on electrical stuff, what will be next?

On edit. I remembered a Dillon rep posting on Cast Boolits and found this:

OOPS. I've been told that this is the wrong dillon.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=14267

This is the one that is the Dillon rep. Thank you Alvarez Kelly for the correction:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=3871

Doesn't seem that he/she has been on in a number of months though.

Alvarez Kelly
02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
... I remembered a Dillon rep posting on Cast Boolits and found this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=14267

Doesn't seem that he/she has been on in a number of months though.

That's the wrong Dillon. The correct one is:

L1A1Rocker
02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
That's the wrong Dillon. The correct one is:

Thank you for the correction. I've edited my post to avoid confusion.

ph4570
02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
There may be hope for my dead trimmer.

Many thanks to a fellow forum member here for putting me in contact with the right person at Dillon. Thank you Rich!!

Gary at Dillon says he has the spare parts to fix my trimmer motor. The unit will be sent to Dillon today.

JIMinPHX
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Squirrel,

I had a similar situation with a Craftsman torque wrench. Back when I bought my original (all steel construction), the warranty was the standard lifetime warranty that all the hand tools got. 20 years later, when the guts fell out of it, I tried to return it for repair or replacement. They said that it was not covered & pointed me to the warranty that was written on a new torque wrench with a different part number & a lot of plastic parts on it. That warranty was much more limited. After I made a big stink for a long time with several managers, I was finally given a plastic torque wrench with a limited warranty in exchange for going away quietly. I have 3 complete roll away boxes of hand tools & some smaller job boxes. 80% of what I used to buy was from Craftsman. Now they get about 10% of my tool business. I used to trust them.

JIMinPHX
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Just beware, Dillion has changed the rules on electrical, they may decide to change the rules on non-electrical in the future. Better keep your sales slip cause their no BS warranty may become BS.

If you want a real line of BS, just walk into Dillon's Scottsdale store some time & try to buy something that you want to buy rather than what they tell you is the best thing for you to be buying. They're a funny bunch over there. If you look to them as the only guys in the world that know which way the globe spins, & do everything that they suggest, then they treat you as a valued customer. If you ask them for something different than what they recommend or ask them to back order too many things that they can't be bothered to stock (even though it is still in their catalog), then they treat you like a leper orphan. I haven't gone back to those guys in several years. They make some fine products, but they can be tough to deal with at times.

GRUMPA
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
If you want a real line of BS, just walk into Dillon's Scottsdale store some time & try to buy something that you want to buy rather than what they tell you is the best thing for you to be buying. They're a funny bunch over there. If you look to them as the only guys in the world that know which way the globe spins, & do everything that they suggest, then they treat you as a valued customer. If you ask them for something different than what they recommend or ask them to back order too many things that they can't be bothered to stock (even though it is still in their catalog), then they treat you like a leper orphan. I haven't gone back to those guys in several years. They make some fine products, but they can be tough to deal with at times.

BINGO!!!! When I lived in the valley I went there 1 time and that was enough for me, and I'm talking before they moved. Well that and when I did buy something there they wanted my name and address for there records, I told them I don't want to be on any mailing list and they responded that is not what it's for it's just for there records. Well I got more stuff in the mail than I care to remember plus there Blue Press publication. Never stepped foot in there door again.

r1kk1
02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Whenever I get into AZ I stop by. Dillon's intended audience is a little different from me. I use a lot of their stuff. I see a lot of SASS shooters and the IDPA, IPSC crowd including some service rifle discipline guys. I told them of my Ruger 44-40 dilemma and they said that they couldn't help but pointed me to Redding for answers. I like the shop albeit it is small. The warehouse must be huge. I go in ask for certain buttons, shellplate, etc., hardly ever for what I'm loading. No problems. I know what I need.

There are two presses they make I don't care for, the SDB and the SL900. Own the SDB but the SL900 of my friends is a little picky when I change components. Not an issue for competitors presses.

All in all they have been a good company for me.

r1kk1

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
cant help you with the electrical warantee other then to say Ive personaly known they were covered by a lifetime warantee for years and dillon has to draw the line somewhere. If you dont have a recipt and i to dont keep them, then how is dillon suppose to know when you bought it. Anyone that bought one two years ago could claim they bought it back in the 80s. As to not buying a dillon tumbler again because its not covered by a lifetime warantee, please steer me to one that is!! As to there Scottsdale store i must be the exception. I was there once and spent about 2 hours there. I was treated great. Personaly i feel like a king when i get something from any gun or reloading company waranteed after years of service. Go to your local ford or chev dealer and tell them you want a lifetime warantee. Buy yourself a new recliner or a new computer or just about anything and insist on a lifetime warantee and youll be laughed out of the store. With companys like rcbs, dillon and hornady to deal with were spoiled!!! Sorry dont take offense to this but to even think your 20 year old tumbler which probalby has more miles on it then your car should be fixed for free is almost laughable. If it were 4 years old and hadnt been used much i would say you had a bitch but it sounds like you got every bit your moneys worth out of that tumbler. Again id just love to see the look on the faces at the ford dealership if you brought your 1992 tarrus in with a bad spark plug wire and wanted it fixed for free.

L1A1Rocker
02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
If you dont have a recipt and i to dont keep them, then how is dillon suppose to know when you bought it.

Because that was part of Dillons No BS Lifetime warrenty. Why do you keep a receipt for something that doesn't need one? That was the Dillon sales rep. question to me, not mine to him.

Anyone that bought one two years ago could claim they bought it back in the 80s.

I believe that is what part numbers are for, or maybe. . . I don't know, customer service numbers? At any rate, Dillon sold a product with a No BS Lifetime Warranty and told people not to worry with the receipt BECAUSE it was a No BS Lifetime Warranty. Sounds like a problem of Dillon's making to me.

As to not buying a dillon tumbler again because its not covered by a lifetime warantee, please steer me to one that is!!

I don't think anyone but Dillon ever did, of course the Dillon was much more expensive. But hey, a No BS Lifetime Warranty is worth the extra money to some people. See, had Dillon had the same one year warranty as everyone else at the time - I would have bought a much cheaper model. Who would have thought that Dillon would go back on their word. . .

Personaly i feel like a king when i get something from any gun or reloading company waranteed after years of service.

Just keep in mind that that may change in the future. Just like it did with the electrical stuff that was sold with a No BS Lifetime Warranty that has now been turned into guaranteed BS.

Go to your local ford or chev dealer and tell them you want a lifetime warantee. Buy yourself a new recliner or a new computer or just about anything and insist on a lifetime warantee and youll be laughed out of the store.

I don't think anyone ever insisted on a lifetime warranty from Dillon. THEY OFFERED IT IN BIG BOLD PRINT, and you paid extra for it. To some people the No BS Lifetime Warranty is worth the extra money. Too bad Dillon decided to go back on their No BS Lifetime Warranty.

Sorry dont take offense to this but to even think your 20 year old tumbler which probalby has more miles on it then your car should be fixed for free is almost laughable.

Insulting remark on something you know NOTHING about aside, how long is a "LIFETIME Warranty" by your definition? Dillon said it was a No BS LIFETIME Warranty. To think that you consider 20 years too long to honor LIFETIME warranty is laughable (no offense).

By the way, was it not you that just previously said "Personaly i feel like a king when i get something from any gun or reloading company waranteed after years of service."? That was you right? Let me check. . . yep, that was you. I guess it's good for you (makes you feel like a "king") but for someone else it's too much to expect them to honor their claim of a LIFETIME warranty.

Again id just love to see the look on the faces at the ford dealership if you brought your 1992 tarrus in with a bad spark plug wire and wanted it fixed for free.

Again, Ford does not offer a lifetime warranty, nor do I insist on one. See, the differnce is that Dillon OFFERED IT IN BIG BOLD PRINT and now won't honor it. Oh, did you know that Ford does offer replacement spark plug wires with a lifetime warranty? I know, they replaced a set for me on my 1995 Cougar after 15 years of service. Didn't need the receipt either, they had my customer history in their computer records. (you may want to work on your analogies - no offense)

Note to readers and an apology. I left the numerous spelling and grammatical errors intact on the quotations - no offense.

Lloyd Smale
02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Note to readers and an apology. I left the numerous spelling and grammatical errors intact on the quotations - no offense.

I was one that gave you some advice as to how to get it resolved. Do you really think your going to get anywhere by bashing dillon on a fourm they monitor? But i guess if your the type that would complain about spelling errors on a cast bullet fourm youd complain about anything. Last i checked there were people of every educational level on here and because you can spell better or use better sentence structure it sure as hell doesnt make you a better person or a better contributor to this fourm. Good luck with your problem as im sure with your smooth way of dealing with people you will get taken care of.;)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
I agree with how he feels. The BS warranty is why a Dillon press does not grace my bench. Those folks advertised that warranty, they did. I remember them doing it and they reneged on it. They did. If I had spent big bucks, I'd be torqued too and L1A1Rocker has every right to be. Giving him a hard time about Dillon's failure to do right is just wrong. That's drinking blue koolaid.

ph4570
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Update to my case trimmer saga -- Thanks to help from Idaho Shaspshooter on our forum I was put in touch with Gary at Dillon.

I spoke with Gary at Dillon. He was very nice and felt he had the spare parts to revive my trimmer. I sent it off about a week ago. Today FedEx delivered a box from Dillon. I expected to find my repaired unit within -- such was not to be the case.

A new unit was sent!!!

Many thanks to Idaho Shaspshooter here on castboolits and to Gary at Dillon.

L1A1Rocker
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I was one that gave you some advice as to how to get it resolved. Do you really think your going to get anywhere by bashing dillon on a fourm they monitor?

Thank you, but why do you consider it "bashing" to state a fact that Dillon refuses to honor a warranty? But then again, you are the one that stated in your last post that it was unreasonable to expect 20 years warranty service on a warranty that was supposedly for life. I noticed that you did not answer my question to you on that point.

Yes I do think I will get somewhere. I'm hoping that Dillon will stop the blanket refusal to honor their warranty on items that they sold as warrantied for life. They are doing themselves serious PR damage in this.

But i guess if your the type that would complain about spelling errors on a cast bullet fourm youd complain about anything. Last i checked there were people of every educational level on here and because you can spell better or use better sentence structure it sure as hell doesnt make you a better person or a better contributor to this fourm.

LOL, must have hit a nerve there. I actually considered going into each quotation and making correction notations in red. I decided, as comical as it would be, it wasn't worth the time. Did you know that newspapers are written at a fourth grade level (that's 4th grade)? Even at that level they still manage to get the apostrophe into "doesnt" :D

Good luck with your problem as im sure with your smooth way of dealing with people you will get taken care of.;)

Thank you, but somehow "im" :lol: not so sure your heart is in it.

L1A1Rocker
02-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Update to my case trimmer saga -- Thanks to help from Idaho Shaspshooter on our forum I was put in touch with Gary at Dillon.

I spoke with Gary at Dillon. He was very nice and felt he had the spare parts to revive my trimmer. I sent it off about a week ago. Today FedEx delivered a box from Dillon. I expected to find my repaired unit within -- such was not to be the case.

A new unit was sent!!!

Many thanks to Idaho Shaspshooter here on castboolits and to Gary at Dillon.

Great news!!! That's the kind of service I signed up for when I went "blue" in the early 90's. It's just too bad that it took a special advocate to make sure Dillon did what should have only taken one quick phone call.

I am curious though. What kind of warranty comes with the replacement?