PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Ben's Red to Speed Green lube...

QuickRick
01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these home brews for a comparison? I have had good luck with white label BAC lube and the price is certainly right but there is just something about making your own stuff. Most of my shooting is handgun cartridges with moderate velocity loads. The calibers would be 9mm Luger, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, and 44 Mag. Occasionally I also run cast boolits through my 30 carbine and 30/30 rifles. I like the above lube recipes because they are simple and all the ingredients are available locally. Thank you in advance for any thoughts you care to share.....

Ben
01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I " Don't have a dog in this fight " ( and I certainly don't have any monetary interest in anyone's use of Ben's Red ) , but I can tell you that I've fired Ben's Red in all the cartridges you've listed with zero problems.

I've fired it in my 30-06 at speeds well in excess of 2,000 fps. with no problems.

Ben

btroj
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Many people chose a lube based as much on emotion or just because as do because of sound scientific study.
I will say that for handgun shooting aout any decent lube will work, same for 30-30. Itis the extremes of velocity or temperature that seem to make a difference.
I was using Carnuba Red, went away for it due to cold barrel flyer when the temp dipped below 50 degrees or so. Not something I want in my 32-20 if I am hunting squirrels.
I went away from Felix lube because it left a huge amount of lube goo in the action of my Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt. Shot great, didn't lead, but it was messy in the gun.
I am currently using MMl. Shoots well in the cold, no cold barrel flyers. Still need more time in the heat of summer with it to really know about that.
The two lubes you mentioned both have a good reputation. Only way to know how they will do for you is to try them and see how they work. One may be a bit messier to handle than you like. One may have an odor you don't like.

Again, almost any lube works in many situations. It is the little things that make us gravitate towards a lube. Could be a more emotional decision than anything. I don't like Alox lubes, the smell and smoke from them bugs me. Just my opinion, many others don't feel the same.

Good luck in your endeavors. I would suggest making a batch of one of them and giving it a try, you may just like it.

QuickRick
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Love Life; Do you see any harm adding a teaspoon or so of carnauba wax flakes to the 3/1 beeswax/bull lube mix??? I already have the wax flakes on hand and have read they help keep the bore shiny/bright between cleanings.

geargnasher
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Brad, watch that MML in the Summer, I believe Mike's term for what happens is "goose chit". A little beeswax and carnauba wax stiffens it up nicely, but detracts from it's outstanding cold-weather performance slightly. It seems there is no free lunch in this game.

Gear

BossHoss
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
It seems there is no free lunch in this game.

Gear

Amen to that.

Every lube has it's fit. None fit all, none satisfy all my req's all the time.

Application specific seems to be the norm.

I shot Blue Angel last night on 38 DEWCs castfrom a Lyman 4 gang with range lead.

Awesome accuracy, proper fit, key. All in 8 ring or better, most 10x. However, on target , looking at my marvelous tight group shot from my Model 27, around each paper punch hole, cut cleanly with my DEWC's were little lube flings...

I wish I took a shot of them. I shot fifty BA lubed DEWCs.

Lube flings= little marks around the hole caused by the lube flinging forward off the boolit when it impacts the target. Most of the time it was three almost perfect little stripes about an 3/32 long , perfectly out straight from the hole.

Barrel clean except for a little 231 powder residue, 1 brushing with Chore Boy, no lead to speak of.

The CR lubed boolits, 50 of them,shot in the same gun after brushing the powder residue out from the Blue Angel, did worse in accuracy, no lube flings, shiny shiny barrel, but left the gun greasy.

As far as the perceived accuracy, it was worse than BA, but it COULD have been me, as I had shot 50 BA lubed 20 minutes earlier. But it was noticably worse, all in the 6 ring of a 25 yard SLOW FIRE target.

So , yup, no free lunch gnasher, every app is different.

btroj
01-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Gear speaks the truth.
I find that extremes of temperature cause as many lube problems as anything. Our summers can go from 100 degree summers to sub zero winters. I try to avoid shooting in either of those conditions but 20 to 90 degrees is very possible as a range of temps I shoot at. Finding one lube that does well at the extremes isn't very easy. Avoiding a summer/winter lube is proving to be difficult.
Only way to really know how a lunes going to work for you is to grout and try it. Try it at the extremes of temp. How is it in a cold barrel? A hot barrel? Prolonged shooting?

nanuk
01-27-2012, 03:08 AM
btroj: I guess I'm a bit lucky in that my goal is to find a lube that works for me at 10C(50F) down to -10C (~ -12F) and perhaps another one down to -20C

I want a First Shot/cold barrel accurate round. that is my hunting requirement.

hot weather is just plinking for fun, accuracy is not paramount then. and I won't hunt when it is too cold... not enough fun then.

BossHoss
01-27-2012, 08:24 AM
btroj:

I want a First Shot/cold barrel accurate round. that is my hunting requirement.

AMEN! I often come to our private range, and most that know me, know the ONLY shot I am interested in is my Cold Shot.

To the point they will wait for me to take it in silence.

Ruger Super BH 10.5 44mag. I am a 10x shooter with it. I developed a plinker and a hunter load. My main gun, when not tinkering with others.

The ballistic part of the hobby, knowing EXACTLY what happens on hammer strike, is the science that keeps me interested in the hobby.

Otherwise the guns would be collecting dust, figured out, stored and only used for gathering meat.

COLD SHOT , baby. 10X is the only acceptable result. :Fire:

kbstenberg
01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Btroj what is MMI?

btroj
01-27-2012, 11:09 AM
MML is Mikes Modified Lithium. A lube 357 Maximum developed to give good cold weather accuracy for his winter hunting. Use the search function and you will find lots of info in it.

I have been very happy with it so far but need more time shooting in the heat of summer to really know how it is going to handle that. I don't tend to be a "group" shooter so I don't know if I will see any problems.

This cold barrel situation is something I just recently discovered. I really see it most in my Marlin 32-20. That rifle needs 5 shots to settle down with CR if temp is below 40 degrees. Didn't notice so much trouble with my 45-70.

I use my Star for everything and really don't like changing lubes all the time. That is why I am on a quest for am all temp, for me, lube.

AndyC
01-27-2012, 11:35 PM
However, on target , looking at my marvelous tight group shot from my Model 27, around each paper punch hole, cut cleanly with my DEWC's were little lube flings...

I wish I took a shot of them. I shot fifty BA lubed DEWCs.

Lube flings= little marks around the hole caused by the lube flinging forward off the boolit when it impacts the target. Most of the time it was three almost perfect little stripes about an 3/32 long , perfectly out straight from the hole.
Like this?

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5499/chlshoot.jpg

MikeS
01-29-2012, 04:49 AM
I guess I'm lucky. Down in south Florida we have the hot season, and the hotter season, so not much problem using only one lube, as long as it's a summer lube!

ubetcha
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Ben.How does your lube hold up to the temp changes.I have all the ingredients to make it.Just haven't done it yet

Ben
01-31-2012, 11:29 PM
I've shot it at 10 degrees F and 100 degrees F.

No runs, no errors , no one left on base.

Ben

leftiye
02-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Love Life; Do you see any harm adding a teaspoon or so of carnauba wax flakes to the 3/1 beeswax/bull lube mix??? I already have the wax flakes on hand and have read they help keep the bore shiny/bright between cleanings.

Thas called Lotak ah think. Seems to werk clear to 3000fps and above (3600 fps).