PDA

View Full Version : where's a good place to start with selecting a mold?

muaythaitom
03-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I am brand new to this and want to load for my 357, 44 30-30 45-70 and 45 ACP...I don't load much stuff that is just plinking ammo---it is either for hunting or practice for hunting...I don't like light loads---any suggestions ???---thanks fellas

Bass Ackward
03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
If it were me, I would start with one caliber and try something in a LEE design. I would start with the 357. Most Lee molds will throw a diameter that is usable in that caliber.

This will tell you if casting is for you. Then you can look to more expensive options which run the gambit to custom molds. Not that it is necessary, but it can become habit forming. I probably have as much money in molds as I do the guns that they are for.

So start slow and see.

hivoltfl
03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Yep I have a suggestion, if you have not allready done so get a good up to date load book, read the thing cover to cover, pay close attention to the reloading and safety sections, then have fun with your new hobbie that will bring you much satisfaction. At first its gonna seem like it nickel and dimes you to death but once your all set up its pure fun that I have not got tired of since starting in 1969.
All the chamberings you have listed are pretty straight forward and easy to load.
good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions here, all here will help and the knowledge base here is amazing. Rick

454PB
03-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I wish a resource like this forum was available when I started casting 35 years ago. Do what Bass says.....buy an inexpensive mould, do some casting, then bring all your problems and questions here. It saves you a lot of time, frustration, and money. You may end up with thousands of dollars worth of casting gear someday, but it only costs about $50 to find out if it's for you.

Buckshot
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
..............None of the calibers you list are weird or have normal size issues from available moulds so you will have a goods selection to choose from. Each one of those calibers have several boolit designs that have become benchmark favorites over time. A couple (357 and 45) also have slopped over from revolver to auto to rifle.

A good boolit for the 357 whether revolver or rifle might be the Lyman 358156. As that's a GC design, you might want a PB and there are gobs.

The 44 I dunno as the only 44 I have is a 444 Marlin on a Martini and have only the Lee C430 - 310RF mould.

The 30-30 is easy as that's probably the Lyman 311041.

The 45-70 has so many good boolit designs as to be mind boggleing. For hunting, depending upon what the game is and the platform used, might range from the RCBS 45-300 to something like the Lee 458-450F or on up beyond 500 grs. The 45-70 is very forgiving and will return a bit of care with dividends.

The 45ACP is another one that can be easy to feed but a lot depends upon the pistol and what it will and won't feed, or what you're wanting to do with it.

Welcome to the board, and thanks for posting. BTW, all those cartridges you listed will handle cast lead well at their full power jacketed levels and shoot just as well with a bit of care and understanding as to what's needed.

..................Buckshot