PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Ammomaster Progressive

tke861
01-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Does anyone use an ammomaster progressive that can offer an opinion on its ease of use, availability of parts, and overall impression of the press? I use a 550 now and also a lee classic 4 hole turret so this would be another press for my stable if the opinions are favorable. From the RCBS site it looks like tool heads no longer exist and that could be a problem! Let me know what you think.

geargnasher
01-25-2012, 02:58 AM
RCBS discontinued the progressive kit for the Ammomaster years ago. When I first got started reloading in about 1992 I chose an Ammomaster because I thought I'd eventually upgrade to progressive when I got the hang of it, but by the time I decided to do so they were only available second-hand. Some people were able to piece them together with new old-stock parts from RCBS, but I doubt you could do it now. I used one once at a friend's house, and after using it I'll offer that the best thing to do is get a modern machine of another color. The Ammomaster progressive wasn't the greatest progressive machine to begin with, that's why they eventually scrapped it.

Gear

No_1
01-25-2012, 06:48 AM
I have one that was given to me in trade for some lead. It did not function when received but a quick call to RCBS got all the support / parts required to get it running. It can be a little finicky but makes ammo. I saw a single stage ram adapter on ebay for $26 last night which means it is possible to convert it for single stage use. It is for sale with lots of accessories, shell plates and extra tool heads.....

cheese1566
01-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I found one that was stripped down in a back corner of a gunshop a couple years ago. RCBS provided me everything to get it back up and going (except a Uniflow).
Most parts are still available as I recently asked for more spares and items that take wear and tear; so I can keep it going for years to come.

I think it is just as good as my Hornady Projectors. It is pretty stout and will handle any pistol or rifle need. Action is smooth.

I wouldn't worry about extra tool heads. The top die plate is held on by three large bolts. You could screw the dies in and out faster than replacing the top plate. But that is your preference.

Mine is a progressive and most parts coincide with the PiggyBack conversion. (Actually, the PiggyBack uses the same platform, but is a shorter version.)

I did modify the handle on mine. Since it is based on a heavy duty platform, I had a machinist cut down my handle and put a slight bend in it. I modeled it after my Projectors. But the parts are threaded so I can put the old piece on and extend it back.

When it dies, I'll probably convert it to a single stage. But that will be for quite some time.

I like mine and would by another in an instant 'at the right price' of course!

dragonrider
01-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a piggyback that I recently took out of service because I wasn't using it anyway and it was tying up my Rock Chucker and I have three other progressives and a Lyman AA that has become my go to press. It is (was) a smooth operating press, I was using it for 357 mag.

OuchHot!
01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I have had an ammomaster from new. Mine has worked very well for the 45acp through .308 and 30-06. I have read that others had indexing problems which has never been an issue for me. I find it to be very smooth. I also have a LnL progressive and really cannot see that one is superior to the other except that the ammomaster has the primer tube right in front and I like the improved visability of the LnL progressive. I have belonged to a club that had extensive equipment investment in the dillon direction and that was my entry to progressive reloading. I did not find the ammomaster inferior but clearly others have. I guess ymmv!? Rcbs has always had what few parts I needed. Primer feed tubes are still easily available.

tke861
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
So im considering the purchase. Works out to be a bit pricier than I wanted, $200 with dies. But it is complete and in working order so I'm thinking it over. This RCBS press would be used to run 223 in high numbers as I like my 550 to be used for just pistol. Anyone have an opinion on the value? I was offered the price of $180 without the dies (I already have a set anyway).

OuchHot!
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Is it possible to operate the press before deciding? I am mystified by the general lack of enthusiasm about the ammomaster and it makes me wonder if I just got lucky. If it works like mine, 200 is a very good deal. The first station could be used for decapping/lubing and the size die put on the second (priming) station.....Instead of a lube die, I prelube the cases. That is no problem as there is no case feeder. I modified a dillon primer alarm (24 bucks) because I got tired of running out. The stock system stops the press when a primer follower drops into the primer feed. Jars the heck out of me. Good luck with your decision.

cheese1566
01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
$200 would be iffy...depending on what came with it. Look for extra primer tubes, large and small primer carriers, shellplates/extra shellplates, Uniflow with/without an auto powder drop system, and overall condition.

Try to use the press and see how the shellplate progresses using full, slow strokes. See if you can turn the shellplate clockwise (the shellplate should only turn counterclockwise). If it does turn clockwise, the directional bearing or sacrificial nylon bushing in the top of the die plate may be bad. Use this to your advantage to drop the price. No biggie as they are easily replaced by RCBS at no charge.

Look over the parts diagram from the RCBS parts manual (better yet, print it and take into the shop to see what is missing). Plus read the manual, $200 is an investment.

I am thinking $200 is high for my wallet, but then again look how much a good progressive goes for here on the forum. If it is sweet and clean with accessories, then might be a good deal.

(I stole mine for $25 because the young shop workers had no idea they had it or where I found it. Plus it was a consignment deal they forgot about and I caught them off guard. I did have to tear it down, clean it, lube it, and submit a parts list to RCBS. I was very fortuenate indeed and lucky. I did however drop another $40 on a decent Uniflow for it.)

OuchHot!
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Where am I when those $25 deals come along?? I thought from the start that the way the top plate mounts predisposes the system to index problems and general funkiness with cases catching on the dies. I have always mounted the top plates with a consistent, slight "torque and pull" and used dies with larger mouths (lee and dillon). This may be why my ammomaster seems to work well. Just a thought. The nylon bushing does wear as Cheese points out and is in stock with RCBS.

Catshooter
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I love my Ammomaster. It is a full progressive. Finding a stronger press isn't easy, as this one, with single station conversion plate will full length size the 50 BMG.

In my experience, $200 is a steal! Every single part you could need is availble from RCBS and they won't let you pay for it.

If you can afford it, I would buy it. Then I would buy a Rockchucker and stick a Piggyback on it. (If you look into my shop, that's what you'll see :) ) and use the Piggyback for the 223. The stroke on the Master is a lot longer than the Piggy.

Cat

tke861
01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks to all, I am going to try to buy it. I really don't absolutely need it, but feel it could serve a purpose as a dedicated press for my 45 or a rifle caliber. Thank you all for the input!

troyboy
01-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Mine worked so well I bought another. My rub is the long stroke. Best used in rifle applications. It does pistol fine but that long stroke will wear you out. No case feeder either. The Rifle is brass is where it shines.

Catshooter
01-28-2012, 08:00 PM
troyboy is quite correct. Since you can progressivley load 460 Weatherby on it, the stroke is long out of nessisity.

For pistol, I use the Piggyback mounted on top of my Rockchucker. Nice short stroke.

Hard to beat the versitility of a press that can load from 25 ACP to the 50BMG.

Cat

cheese1566
01-28-2012, 08:43 PM
That long stroke and handle is the reason I shortened it. Not too bad now.
I had my machine shop take about 6" off and rethread it for the ball grip. Plus I had them put a slight bend in the bottom a few inches up from the base. I didn;t like my hands being so close to the primer mechanism up top. I based it off my ProJector handles. All the leices are threaded so I can put the 6" piece back on and go to town on large rifles if needed.

I like my PiggyBack also. A lot better now that I put it on a RockChucker than my previous Reloader Special press.

1bluehorse
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I have two of them, an auto 1 and auto 2. They are large, strong presses with a lot of leverage. The auto 1 has a 7 1/2in opening the auto 2 is 1/2in smaller. That gives me 6in clearance from the top of the shellplate to the bottom of the die plate. Once again, the auto 2 is 1/2in smaller. So yes, the press has a very long throw (a 45acp looks pretty small in there). Changing shellplates is a little time consuming, along with changing primer sizes, not hard, just takes a little time. I'm not to fond of the "swinging Pendulum of death" powder charge system, it works, but you want to keep an eye on it. If I used them alot I would change over to the linkage system thats now available. They're a good press, strong, smooth, dependable, good support still from RCBS, they're just a little slower for pistol with the long throw (the handle on the auto 1 is 22in long) but they're great for rifle. I believe the popularity issues with it were probably the longish handle throw, the shell plate and primer changing system are time consuming, and theres not a "quick" change die system.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_114154f5b891073889.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4368)

thats a 30-06 round sitting there.......

by the way, if it's complete, with powder measure, 200bucks is a pretty good buy. I wouldn't sell either of mine for that. BUT, mine have been pretty much rebuilt and I have a lot of spare parts...

dromia
03-11-2012, 03:02 AM
I've had one for nigh on 20 years and it has turned out 10s of 1000s of high quality rounds, pistol and rifle, I love it and think it is a fantastic machine. I don't recall ever having to replace a part yet. I got it when I tried to buy a Dillon but the **** service I got from their sales decided me to never buy from them so I got the RCBS as it had just come out and I like RCBS kit

I also have a Hornady LnL and that is another fine press, the reason I got the Hornady when I wanted an additional progressive was because RCBS had discontinued the Ammomaster progressive. :-(

seagiant
03-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi,
Here is a link to a guy comparing the Ammo Master to the new 2000 press. I have owned neither but interested in both. I would really like to see more pics of the Ammo Master!

http://www.realguns.com/archives/166.htm

1bluehorse
03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi,
I would really like to see more pics of the Ammo Master!

http://www.realguns.com/archives/166.htm

...well I was trying to upload some more pics for you, but for some reason they're all to big now....????????????

seagiant
03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi,
This is the pic sizer I use. It's pretty simple and works well. I reduce by 40% and that puts it about 65 KB which is good for forums.

http://www.irfanview.com/

http://eport.soundpiper.com:8080/pictutor/irfanview.html

1bluehorse
03-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll try again....my reloading bench

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/reloadingroom001.jpg Compared to the LCT..http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/ammomasterpress2001.jpg

die plate with powder check die......http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/ammomasterpress2003.jpg

Both presses together, you can see the one on the left is a bit taller......http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/ammomasterpress2005.jpg
In this photo you can see the case actuated powder system

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/ammomasterpress2006.jpg

if I knew how to do a video and post it I'd load a few 45colts for ya....:popcorn:

seagiant
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi 1BH,
Thanks for the pics! I was never aware of how nice the Ammo Master is. I think I was confusing it with the piggyback thing which dosn't really turn me on. I'll go look on u-tube and see if anyone has put up a vid! I think I would get the Ammo2,I don't really see a .50 cal in my future!

Four Fingers of Death
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
They sell a shell plate for the 416 Rigby. I bought one for the H&H Magnum cases, just to see those big old 338WMs and 375 H&Hs being cranked out! Loading the 416 Rigby on my Ammomaster is a bit of a wank, but it is one of those, gotta try it once sort of things, lol.

That would make a good video for YouTube.