PDA

View Full Version : Mini-muffin (ingot) pans

Thor's Daddy
01-25-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm looking for a way to make some little linotype ingots and I'm wondering about those mini-muffin pans. You know the ones that are used for petit fours and such?

Could anyone tell me how much those baby ingots weigh?

bumpo628
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Some people use these stainless steel condiment cups from Wal-Mart. They cost $0.88 for 4 cups, IIRC.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Condiment-Cups/14964954

I don't know how much the ingots would weigh, though.

a1albert
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
I use muffin trays for ingots all the time. If I am melting down wheelweights I just dump them out of the tray and scracth a W on them. If I am mixing # 2 alloy I dump them and scratch a 2 on them.

Albert

Thor's Daddy
01-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Some people use these stainless steel condiment cups from Wal-Mart... I don't know how much the ingots would weigh, though.

Thanks bumpo, I've been wondering what those condiment cups I kept hearing about actually are. I see they're 2.5 oz. each, so they'd come in at about 1.85 lbs. if filled to the top.

I was hoping to get ingots that drop a bit closer to half a pound.

Longwood
01-25-2012, 01:50 AM
I use the little condiment cups and fill them about 1/4 full when I am smelting Linotype or high tin content melt.
I only add small amounts of the type I need to a pot of 20 pounds of wheel weights or lead so the small ingots work well.
Stamp or scratch a mark for identification. They always seem to get mixed or left in the wrong place so marking is important.

Thor's Daddy
01-25-2012, 02:07 AM
...I only add small amounts of each to a pot of 20 pounds of wheel weights or lead so the small ingots work well. Stamp or scratch a mark for identification...

That's what I had in mind. Add in just enough to sweeten the pot as I cast.

Simply marking the cups seems like a good solution too.

Thanks.

Loki610
01-25-2012, 02:22 AM
I use a mix of mini and normal muffins when processing and I think the minis are close to a pound.

Longwood
01-25-2012, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE=Thor's Daddy;

Simply marking the cups seems like a good solution too.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you mark the cups, would they still be good for other ingots?
Some people use those sheet metal screws at Home Depot that are used for metal studs etc. to fasten them down tom a board for safety.
Those screws, have a low profile head that don't cause a problem.

RKJ
01-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks bumpo, I've been wondering what those condiment cups I kept hearing about actually are. I see they're 2.5 oz. each, so they'd come in at about 1.85 lbs. if filled to the top.

I was hoping to get ingots that drop a bit closer to half a pound.

I had mine measure 1.2 on a bathroom scale to the top of WW and others with Range lead. I suppose I'll have to weigh them again. Still more than I see you want though, maybe 1/2 full?

Longwood
01-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Because of a pretty steep taper, if you only fill the condiment cup about 1/4" the ingots come out close to 1/4 pound. and are about the size of a silver dollar only thicker.

mktacop
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm looking for a way to make some little linotype ingots and I'm wondering about those mini-muffin pans. You know the ones that are used for petit fours and such?

Could anyone tell me how much those baby ingots weigh?

I use an old mini-muffin pan that I found hiding in the back of a cabinet. It has 24 little cups to it and they cast about 1/2 lb each or a little more (They actually fluctuate between about .5 and .65 lbs depending on how full I fill them.)