PDA

View Full Version : AA Lights

wiljen
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok guys. I have done a lot, and I do mean a lot of homework on this one.
My early favorite was discontinued by Solarforce so that host got dropped.

I have come up with 3 options at 3 different price points and with 3 distinct feature sets.

Option 1:
The first is probably the coolest little inexpensive light I own. This is a single AA powered Q5 emitter that puts out about 200 lumens and has a flood to throw feature that works by twisting the head. You'll find these all over the place but most are Q3 emitters and put out a good bit less light. Price point $15

Option 2:
The second is the Balder Se-1 XM-L. This is a solid light with a very low low, a 80 lumen mid and a good solid high in the 300 lumen range. Runtime is about an hour on a Single AA. The mode arrangement is L-M-H and it does have a mode memory so next time you turn it on, it starts in whatever mode it was left in. It features a forward click with momentary on, and a pocket clip. Price point $25

Option 3:
This is perhaps the best built single AA light on the market. It is quite frankly better quality than either of the other two. This is not to say the others are not good, just that this one is exceptional in build quality. The Xeno E03 XM-L has 3 modes in M-L-H order without memory. It has a considerably higher low than the Balder and a bit higher on the top end as well. This one uses a reverse click switch and will tailstand for those who want to be able to light a room. Battery life is again about an hour. Price Point: $37

Now is your turn, if you have an interest in one or more, please vote so I know which ones (if any) are worthy of pursuing.

parrott1969
01-24-2012, 10:52 PM
I vote option one. It would make a great truck light for little money.

Lloyd Smale
01-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Id vote for the cheap one too. A guy could buy a half a dozen of them and keep them everywhere.

Bob J
01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Option 1...... Does what I need and the price point is awesome.....

GT27
01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Opt.1,Tactical looking,and great price point in this "Balama-economy"!

wiljen
01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Gang, remember to vote in the poll as that is the official tally.

whopist
01-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I voted Option 1.

But what I really like is a cheap, side clicky, 1 mode, pocket light, and >200 lum.

wiljen
01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I went through literally 40 different AA lights trying to find the best ones to put out here. I can tell you for a fact that what you are after does not exist. You can do a good side click, but it isnt cheap, or you can get a cheap one, but it isnt good.

The best one that comes to mind in a 2 AA, side switch with > 200 lumen is the Klarus St20. Bad news is it runs about $60.

kfarm
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I voted for #3 but will be happy with what every one else wants.

Doc Highwall
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I voted for #2 as I do not always want to light up the whole area, but know that I can with a flick of a switch.

rollmyown
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Do any of these lights have a beam that can be focused? My light that takes an 18650 battery from a previous group buy is a great light, but would be better yet if it could be adjusted to concentrate the beam for longer range use.

wiljen
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Rollmyown - option 1 does.

Bullet Caster
01-26-2012, 12:38 AM
I voted for option 1 also, eventhough I don't use that light. I got a few of the 9 led 3 AAA battery lights--one for my wife to keep in her truck, one for me to keep in my Jeep and the third one goes on my AK-47. I got all three from Sportsmansguide for about 14.00. I was surprised at how much light those little things put out. BC

rollmyown
01-26-2012, 02:05 AM
wiljen, do you have to "build" these or just buy them in? Although I like the quality of option 3, I'd only buy 1(of them). If option 1 gets up (and it looks like the popular choice), I'll probably take 3 or 4. Perhaps you could offer 2 types if there is enough interest?

wiljen
01-26-2012, 08:03 AM
wiljen, do you have to "build" these or just buy them in? Although I like the quality of option 3, I'd only buy 1(of them). If option 1 gets up (and it looks like the popular choice), I'll probably take 3 or 4. Perhaps you could offer 2 types if there is enough interest?

Some of both. Option 1 is a shell build with a driver and emitter add to get the Q5. The other two are pre-builts.

DukeInFlorida
01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I voted for option 1.

Would probably buy a few at that price.

Most likely would want them after I get to FL.

Springfield
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd buy 3 option #1. I already have a few of your 3 mode lights and just need some smaller quality lights for the kids and for "around" the place. I'm tired of the 4.99 lights that everybody has taking a dump on me.

wiljen
01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Well we have enough interest to guarantee that option 1 is a go. We also have enough interest that I'm going to leave the other 2 open for a bit as I suspect we may have enough interest to run all three by the time the poll closes.

a.squibload
01-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Wow, I just got one like #1 a couple days ago!
Says CREE on the side, supposed to be 5 watts.
I have a cheaper one that's also 5 watts, not as bright,
emitter is smaller in size.

Noticed the zoom is like a projector, makes an image of the emitter,
does this one do that too? Not bad, just kind of interesting.
Had to adjust the camera to get the pic, otherwise it's too bright
to see the lines.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yxTEpiOskFA/TyJr5xIBukI/AAAAAAAAAWY/g6tLyC9DUQ4/s640/DSCF0011.JPG
Zoomed out it's like an area light, very useful.
Also the "assault ring" can be unscrewed for a wider beam, like on a maglight.

They say it also takes a 14500 battery, 3.6v, wonder if that makes it brighter
or just lasts longer?

Would you be modifying these even brighter? I like a pocket size
but sometimes need to read house numbers, etc.
Really wanted your previous super-bright light but I'm part Scot.:smile:

PS: #1 also does a tailstand to shine on the cieling.

wiljen
01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Without knowing what specific emitter you have in yours, it is impossible to tell if it would be brighter or not. I have seen these with 4 different emitters and it makes a world of difference. They are around with q3 (most common), q4 (2nd) q5 (Seen 1 or 2 version) and a custom version with an R5.

If I were a betting man, you have a q3 (the lesser of the 2) and either a q4 or 5 as the brighter. Any of the true XR-e emitters regardless of Binning are going to look alike and make the same pattern on the wall so the only way to tell for sure would be more costly than its worth or would destroy it to find out.

As for the 14500s, yes a lot of AA lights will run on a single 14500 cell as well and will be brighter on a 14500 than on an AA cell. How much brighter depends greatly on the driver and the AA cell in the comparison.

To understand this, you need to know how emitters work. Emitters take a specific current and voltage to operate. For this example, lets take a generic 5 watt emitter like what yours was labeled. The XR series emitters are somewhere around 3.3 Volts at 1 Amp draw on full power. So if we do the math, the 5 watts is a bit of an exaggeration to begin with.

If we look at the batteries in question, the AA cell typically provides 1.25-1.5 V and requires a step-up transformer (boost driver) to provided the needed 3.3V. In order to do that, we must draw higher amperage from the cell since its voltage is below that threshold 1.5 * A = 3.3(watts) or A= 2.2 Amps. Not all AA cells are capable of providing that much current, and remember as voltage drops (as the battery discharges), the current draw increases in order to compensate because the needs of the emitter don't change.

On a typical 14500 cell, voltage ranges from 4.2-2.8V with a nominal voltage of 3.7. No step up is needed to run these cells and the emitter is run in direct drive.
This means the cut out is typically that of the LED and it never reaches the 2.8V of the protection circuit on the cell.

So, if you use good AA cells that are capable of providing the full current needed, you shouldn't see any difference between it and a 14500. If you use cheap AA cells, you will see a difference because they cannot satisfy the current demands of the system.

The other problem with these designs is often as a 14500 drops into the low end of the voltage range, the driver will shift back into step up mode and destroy the step up as a result of the over-voltage situation rendering the light useless on anything but 14500s after that. (For this reason, if you want a light that you can throw a AA cell in and know its going to work, I would avoid 14500s).

The best bet for batteries is either the energizer ultimate lithium (throw-away) or a good NiMh rechargeable.

Ravenhawk57
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd vote for #1 also would like a # 3 in another buy later.

a.squibload
01-28-2012, 03:59 AM
...rendering the light useless on anything but 14500s after that.

Thanks W., glad I asked!
Think I'll stay away from the 14500s, they cost more anyway.
I'm using Energizer "Pile Alcaline" which claims 1.5v but
Mr. Triplett says they're 1.36. Seems bright enough.
I have some good NiMhs, will try them next.
Will probably carry lithium for spares.

I checked again, they advertised my zoom light as "7W CREE XR-E Q5".
The box had no info, no data sheet.
It's noticeably brighter than the smaller one.
The smaller light was advertised as 3W but marked 5W, so who knows
what it really is. The emitter is half the size of the other one and
doesn't have a distinct pattern. Still too bright to look into!

When I get rich I want one of those 20W LED spotlights for the car,
saw a video, it lit up way down the street, too expensive though.

wiljen
01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
These are gonna be the same as the larger you have Squib, which is a true Xr-e (Q5 bin) and is in reality at most 3.8 watts (3.8V max * 1 A max). The smaller one is probably an Xr-c emitter which is much lower output and even at a full 3 Watts wont be able to push more than 2/3 of what the Q5 can do.

There are some lights that do regulate current well and will handle 14500s; however in general unless you pay more than $45-50 for it, I wouldn't take the risk. Put simply, the circuitry to really manage current from 2 cells as different as a AA and a 14500 costs as much as some inexpensive lights.

rollmyown
01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Wiljen, All of these will work fine on AA alkaline batteries like Duracell and Energizer right? Lithium batteries here are over $5.00 each, and I can't justify buying $5 apiece throw aways. Good Quality alkaline batteries are about $1 each here.

wiljen
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Yes, all will work on standard Duracell or Energizers just fine.

SmuvBoGa
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Wiljen,

Interested in 5 - 10 #1's (late or early Christmas gifts). Maybe one each of the other two - depends on when the bill comes due.

JohnMc

wiljen
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok, we have enough interest for sure in 1 and 3. When do you guys want to do this one? Should we go ahead and run it or wait for Tax refund time?

rollmyown
02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Now please!!!!!!!!!!

Springfield
02-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Now is always better than later. By the time they are done it will be tax time anyway. I may not get a state return, they announced on the news last night we Californians may get IOU's instead this year as the state will be broke sometime in early March.

wiljen
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Ok seems the votes are for now. Look for a posting coming to an active buys section near you.

wiljen
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Option 1 is now an active buy here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1572907#post1572907

Alby
02-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Wiljen,
Any idea of when Option 3 will be available? I would like a couple of #1 and at least 1 of option #3

Alby