bowfin
01-24-2012, 09:20 PM
This is so simple that it's hard to screw up:

2 tbsps. Butter

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups whole milk

5 eggs

Dash of Salt.

Beat the eggs, then add to flour and salt. Add milk and beat to a batter.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put your cast iron skillet or the like in the oven to come to temperature. Put butter in the bottom of the skillet just before adding the batter.

Slide the skillet out of the oven, add batter, shove back into the oven, and cook for 12 minutes or so. The Dutch Baby will puff up very impressively, but will soon fall into a somewhat puffy pancake.

The fun comes in figuring out what to do with the Dutch Baby when its done. Some just use butter and syrup, but fruit topping with powdered sugar is the most common. A person could also take it out of the oven, cover it in scrambled eggs and diced up sausage and use it for a campsite breakfast.

My son is cooking one in his new cast iron cookware as we speak. He bought a deep dish skillet with a shallow skillet that doubles as a lid, $9.99 for the pair (on clearance).

Less than a minute left!

SciFiJim
01-25-2012, 01:39 AM
That looks yummy! I will have to try it. I may add a bit of vanilla and cinnamon.

wills
01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
SWMBO has been making these for years. Great with bannannas or strawberries.

Rick N Bama
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
My wife makes these in a cast iron skillet calling them "German Pancakes". My Granddaughters ask for them to be made for breakfast every time they pay us a visit.

Rick

Shiloh
02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
SWMBO has been making these for years. Great with bannannas or strawberries.

My wife makes these in a cast iron skillet calling them "German Pancakes". My Granddaughters ask for them to be made for breakfast every time they pay us a visit.

Rick

Sort of like a Pannekoecken??

Are these the thing that are sometimes called Darngoods??

Shiloh

Twinkiethekid
02-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Any pitures?

Ramar
04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
bowfin,
I’ve never done pancakes before and I have a request to do so from my 3 year old granddaughter. I need help and “CB” never lets me down so here I am.

The batter from your ingredients are poured into 1 skillet 1 time? If so, a 10 inch, 8 inch or less, any recommended size?

Multiple pours for multiple pancakes?

I can make ingots and cast boolits; but pancakes???

Thanks for the help.
Ramar

buyobuyo
04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
This doesn't make pancakes. It makes one big pancake like thing.

Pancakes though are really easy to do though. The recipe that I use is:

2 cups flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp vanilla

In a small bowl, beat eggs and set aside.

In a large bowl, blend the dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar, baking powder)

Add butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla to dry ingredients and stir until just blended, with no large lumps.

Lightly oil a griddle or non-stick pan, heat it until drops of water sizzle.

Pour pancake batter onto hot surface. When bubble rise in each pancake, it is time to flip. Cook until golden brown.

I find that a 1/4 cup measure makes a good batter scoop and makes nice sized pancakes. I usually end up with around 18 pancakes out of a single batch. I like my pancakes on the sweet side, so I double the amount of sugar called for and usually add in extra vanilla too. Also, don't be worried if the first couple of pancakes come out a little dark. They always seem to. Just turn the heat down a bit, and you'll be fine. The dark ones eat just fine too as long as they're not actually burned.

9.3X62AL
04-24-2012, 06:56 PM
You guys are awful. You facilitate new guns--new tools--new moulds--and now yer making me hungry! The sorriest lot of enablers on the net, I swear.

Where's the syrup?

Ramar
04-25-2012, 06:15 AM
buyobuyo,
Thanks for the help. I'll try yours this weekend.
Ramar

StrawHat
04-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Dutch Babies, pancakes, pfankuchen, whatever you want to call them, they are all great! I like mine with molasses but allow as some find it a bit strong. Apple cider syrup is another good topping.

buyobuyo
04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
buyobuyo,
Thanks for the help. I'll try yours this weekend.
Ramar

No problem. Another couple of quick tips.

If you're going to cook the whole batch and then serve them, put a cookie sheet in the oven and turn it onto warm or whatever the lowest temp setting is. Then put the pancakes onto the cookie sheet as you take them out of the pan. That way the first ones don't get cold while you're cooking the rest.

I like to use my toaster to reheat leftover pancakes. You'll have to play with the toaster setting, but you just want to warm them through without crisping up the outside too much.

bowfin
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Ramar,

The Dutch Baby makes one big pancakey like pastry thing. I then cut it up like a pie, and put something on it for a topping. (This is where the fun comes into play!)

I like either molasses or Karo dark corn syrup on mine. However, anything goes: pecans and syrup, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, cream cheese spreads, apple pie filling, anything you can imagine.

The Dutch Babies fluff up incredibly, and then invariably fall, at least all of mine have. They are still yummy good, and a great way to use up a surplus of eggs.

Ramar
04-26-2012, 07:33 PM
bowfin,
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I've got a big cake sharing breakfast upcoming.
Ramar

bowfin
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
How many people are you feeding with that thing, Ramar?

Better to have an extra one than not enough!

Ramar
04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
bowfin,
I plan on making it Sunday for 3yr. old granddaughter and her grandma. Leftovers are OK and I'm planning on some. That's the day we get to be the care givers. Sunday dinner as is tradition is my pizza (usually make 3 - 16"ers) for all that stop by and an extra one for the road goes home with the little one for the up coming week lunches.
Ramar

Longwood
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
The Dutch Baby is not even close to a pancake.
Pancakes are Flapjacks.
Aunt Jemima mix makes pancakes.
Blah, flat, tasteless, yukky,,,,
Nothin but browned on both sides, white bread.

Give me a Dutch Baby any ol time.:-D

My Ex used to put a tiny bit of oatmeal in them, also sometimes little dried fruit chunks..