PDA

View Full Version : fried bananas

flounderman
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
wife mentioned she had eaten fried bananas in asia and they were good. I pulled up some receipes on the computer. some call for batter, some just flour and sugar. I mixed flour, salt sugar and cinnimon , quartered the bananas, rolled them in the flour mixture and fried them. for a first time effort they tasted pretty good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
One thing I cook once in a while (if I have some over ripe bananas) is fried banana burritos.
I slice them diagonally, add some "salted" cashew pieces, maybe a few chocolate chips.
Then roll 'em up and fry in a buttered cast iron pan til brown on 2 sides.
Jon

Dark Helmet
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Fry 1/4" slices (lengthwise) in fresh bacon drippings, turning once as they clarify. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Yummy.

wilit
01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Fry 1/4" slices (lengthwise) in fresh bacon drippings, turning once as they clarify. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Yummy.

This is how my grandmother made them. Very tasty.

MT Gianni
01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I fix something called "Cuban Rice" an Argentine taught me. Cook 1 cup rice add some Parmesan cheese for flavor when it is done. Top with a ham slice, an egg over easy and fried bananas on the side. We usually split 1 1/2 bananas between the two of us. It is a good mix of salt, sweet, starch and protein.

waksupi
01-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Down in the islands, the yellow bananas aren't fried. They use the little red ones.

Mk42gunner
01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I used to buy deep fried bananas on a stick when I was in the Philippines. The bananas they used are a different variety than we get in the US. They were about four inches long two inches wide and an inch thick.

As far as I knew they just stuck a skewer in them and deepfried them, although they could have been rolled in sugar first.

Robert

Tom-ADC
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Closest I get to making fried bananas is Bananas Foster yum yum...

GT27
01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Plantains,green, or yellow.Cut into coins,mash them,fry them, sprinkle a little cinnamon&sugar,let em caramelize...=smiles for miles!!:p IMHO nothing beats homemade banana pudding though/with the vanilla wafers..."Lord have mercy!!!":bigsmyl2:

frankenfab
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
They serve them at the Chinese restaurants here. They call them "honey banana".

Delish.

LIMPINGJ
01-31-2012, 12:03 PM
GT27 use homemade wafers in that pudding for the best you can make.