PDA

View Full Version : CV on a Lyman mold?

Randy in Arizona
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
What does the CV mean on a Lyman 457132 CV mold?

stubshaft
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
It is the cherry that was used to cut the mold.

Randy in Arizona
01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
So it would not be under-sized or over-sized, just a notation of the individual cutter used to make the mold?

By the way - Thanks!

MikeS
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
yes, the letters after the number denote the cherry used, and the person that cut the mould. It's only if it has a U after the number that it's intentionally undersized.

lead chucker
01-25-2012, 01:51 AM
So when you order a Lyman mold is it a **** shoot whether you get an undersized mold or not.I just ordered one from midway I want it over sized if any thing.

MikeS
01-25-2012, 01:57 AM
So when you order a Lyman mold is it a **** shoot whether you get an undersized mold or not.I just ordered one from midway I want it over sized if any thing.

Yes, it is a gamble when buying a new one if you're going to get one that casts a proper size boolit, or one that's undersized. If you want it to be larger if anything, then look for the mould as a used Ideal marked one, or an early Lyman marked one.

geargnasher
01-25-2012, 02:25 AM

It really is a gamble as to what you get. Lyman quality has truly been hit-and-miss for the past few years, at my house mostly miss so I swore them off.

I think RCBS has the best production moulds going right now, you might consider one of their designs.

If you want guarantees, order a custom one from Accurate Molds or Mountain Molds spec'd exactly to your desired diameter with your preferred alloy, or pick up a small-run mould from M-P Molds or NOE. These custom moulds are unbeatable and you can get them for not much more money than production moulds.

Gear

lead chucker
01-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Well I hope 311299 I ordered is a good one I had midway send it to Erik at hollow point molds to have him make it into a hp. When I get it back I hope I don't have to send it back to him to fatten it up.