PDA

View Full Version : Mold for an original High Wall 40-70SS

Hednign
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Does anybody know if Bernie at Old West Bullet Molds is still in business? I would like to know if I could ask him if he got a mold for my old original High Wall chambered for 40-70 SS. Or if he could make one for me.

Or if you guys could come up with some suggestions. This old timer got a rather tight bore. The bore measures .4023 at the bottom and .398ish on the top of the rifling. It has a 1:20 twist. I would like to have a round nose bullet style, or anything really that works out to 700m. And not a PP mold, GG it is.

Saeco makes a .403 350 grs mold, but I dont like the nose design.

Just for the record, I use BP only in this rifle.

Im thankfull for every advice you can come up with.

Have a great one...

Good Cheer
01-28-2012, 09:51 AM
How heavy of a round nose bullet do you think will work with the 20" twist? One of the older heavier .41 mag round nosed design could perhaps be made to work?

rockrat
01-29-2012, 01:06 AM
RCBS makes a 40-300(?) special order mould. The one I had at one time, threw its boolits @.406"

Chill Wills
01-29-2012, 01:25 AM
If you have not found it by now , here it is.......
:drinks:
http://www.oldwestbulletmoulds.com/

Hednign
01-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Thank you guys. I started to believe nobody would respond to this thread...

About that Old West link, is that the latest one? Because I found one that was too old. I think one of the guys past away a few years ago. I can see just one name on this website, so I guess its the one Im looking for.

I have found another guy I think would make a perfect mold too. Paul Jones... It will be kind of spendy either way, but I feel that this old rifle is entitled to get the best there is.

To the question about how heavy I can use in a 1:20 twist.. I believe 370 grs might be on the heavy side.. I would like to have a mold that casts arround 350 or so. And I would really like them to get out of the mold in the .403-.404 area. Im not that fond of sizing bullets. In my opinion a bullet is at its best right out of the mold.

Chill Wills
01-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Thank you guys. I started to believe nobody would respond to this thread...

About that Old West link, is that the latest one? Because I found one that was too old. I think one of the guys past away a few years ago. I can see just one name on this website, so I guess its the one Im looking for.

Yup, This is his current web-site. It does not have much info on it but that is Bernie. He IS good and the only place you can find certain heel bullet moulds and loading equipment. His BPCR moulds work fine too. Been used to win state silhouette championships and at least one NRA national creedmoor championship.
Best of all....he is good people!

Hednign
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Thank you... Yes Iv heard only good words about both the molds and the guy. And I like brass molds over steel and aluminum. Think Ill send him an email with all the dimensions and wait for his answer.