PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading stuff/ Supplies one can afford

Willyp
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Where do you folks get your supplies from? I mean flints ,lubes and so on!

DIRT Farmer
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Flints from Stone wall creek outfitters, Powder from the MNLRA (sold during shoots) Log Cabin, Tip Curtis Frontieer Shop. Mikes wads for shotgun. There are several on the NMLRA web site.

Shooter
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Track of the Wolf.

nicholst55
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Track of the Wolf.

+1, although a place about a mile from my house in Maryland sells French amber flints. Next time I'm through there I'll have to pick some up. Too bad he doesn't sell Holy Black, too...

Boerrancher
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I get my powder from Grafs, I make my own flints, same with patch lube. I even made my own short starter, and powder horns, both regular and the priming horn. There is nothing complicated about muzzleloading. It doesn't take a lot of fancy and expensive stuff, just a bit of creative imagination and good old fashion Know how. The KISS principle applies more so to Muzzleloading than any of the other shooting sports. The reason for this is the closer you get to loading it exactly the same every time the better and more consistently it will shoot, so the simpler you keep everything the easier it is to keep everything consistant.

Best wishes,

Joe

gnoahhh
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I make everything except powder, flints, and caps.

Tatume
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
+2 on Track. Track of the Wolf has very reasonable prices on their products.

Fly
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Make your own powder.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

stubshaft
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Flints from Rich Pierce other accessories from TOTW.

stronics
01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
TOTW and Log Cabin are both first class!
David

01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Aside from caps for caplocks or flints for flintlocks (I'm a terrible knapper), powder and Ballistol... the only other things that I have to buy are molds or balls. I've scrounged enough lead to last a lifetime. It is one of the shooting sports that can be done right and enjoyed on a tight budget. Many if not most of the rest of the supplies and possibles can be made from scrap or easy to obtain items.

Caps I get locally for wholesale, local BP powder is retail but reasonable, Grafs is a good source for reasonable powder if bought in some quantity to offset shipping. Midsouth and Midway or For Sale Thread here are good sources for molds. Track of the Wolf is good source for certain ML items and over the past few years I've layed up a good supply of Rich Pierce and English flints for the flinters.

pymi
01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Powder & flints from local shops (Morrismuzzleloaders), make my own RB, patches & lube.
I want to give a try at knapping flints though.

mooman76
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
That's one of the great things about ML. Most of the items you need can be improvised or made. Crisco will work as a lube.

Ajax
01-25-2012, 07:30 AM
I get my flints from Rich Pirce and what little i buy from Track of the wolf. I use Ballistol for lube and cleaning/preserving.

Andy

Good Cheer
01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Rich Pierce flints rock!
They spark like the control panels on Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

Boerrancher
01-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I am honestly surprised that so few folks here Knapp their own flints. Is it because they are inexpensive enough, or because of the perceived difficulty? I sometimes buy my own flints if I find a good deal on them, but prefer to knapp my own. There are a few videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to do it if any are interested.

Best wishes,

Joe

01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Don't know where in Pa. you happen to be, but about 10 minutes east of the Pa. Cabella's (Hamburg, Pa.) in Kempton, Pa. there is the absolute mecca for muzzleloader shooters, Dixon's Muzzleloading shop. Totally dedicated to all things ML. Staff is extremely knowledgeable. Stock is considerable. Probably the most complete ML shop on the east coast. Google Dixon's ML for a web site and directions. Worth the drive. I go there from Maryland just to look around. Around June / July Dixon's hosts a muzzleloaders builder fair and vendors from all over gather to hawk their stuff. Blacksmiths forging barrels, hand rifling machine doing a barrel, woodworkers doing stocks, and all the related stuff. New guns, used guns, cannons, tomahawks, period clothing, parts galore, horns and horn making. Takes all day to get through it. Want to see matchlocks fire, cannons fire, blunderbusses fire, wheel locks fire, Dixon's is the place to go. The only thing they don't really do is modern wizzbang in-line ML's.

excess650
01-25-2012, 09:32 AM
I am honestly surprised that so few folks here Knapp their own flints. Is it because they are inexpensive enough, or because of the perceived difficulty?
Joe

Most of us don't have a supply of chert or flint to knap.

DIRT Farmer
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I am honestly surprised that so few folks here Knapp their own flints. Is it because they are inexpensive enough, or because of the perceived difficulty? I sometimes buy my own flints if I find a good deal on them, but prefer to knapp my own. There are a few videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to do it if any are interested.

There are differant ways to learn, and watching the vidios havent helped much. However my oldest son brought me a big chunk of mateial from a highway construction project in the flint hills area. I got a lot of shards that worked well, but would like to learn how. I diden't near the number of shots from shards that I get from "bought English flint" but the design of the flint apperantly makes a differance as does the lock.

waksupi
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
There isn't much good flint or chert in this area to make flints from. I do pick up some when I get down around the buffalo jump.
I have seen with the white cherts, that they have enough hardness difference from English flints, that they really ate up the frizzen on one of my guns that I shoot a lot. I got a spare frizzen, should I need it in the future. I suspect if I resurface the old one, and make it hard as the hubs of hell, that problem will be eliminated.

Hanshi
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Rich Pierce and TOW for flints, Powder Inc. for Goex, Barricade & WD40, etc, I buy locally, Hoppes #9Plus BP lube I order from whoever has the best price.

Boerrancher
01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
As a side note beware of the agate flints sometimes advertised. As a flint knapper I can tell you that agate is one of the hardest flints out there and if you shoot a great deal it will eat up the Frizzen faster than regular flint.

Best wishes,

Joe