PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 03 & 03a3 stocks

lreed
01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between the 03&03a3 stocks?
The stock I used on a ''parts'' 03a3 has a inlet in front of the action that I suppose is for the rear sight. There is a 1918 number stamped on the butt of the stock, would be under the plate, is this maybe the mfg date or just ? What was the wood used on these rifles, I would guess in those days there was no shortage of walnut but stock don't favor walnut. Thanks for any information given.
lreed

nicholst55
01-24-2012, 04:15 AM
The 1903 stock will be inletted for the rear sight that is mounted on the barrel. The barrel contour is actually a little bit different, too. The 03-A3 stock will be inletted to accept either barrel contour, and will have a cutout for the handguard retainer ring. All of the USGI stocks were walnut - at least all that I've seen or heard of. I've learned to never say never, though, especially when it comes to stock wood!

Ragnarok
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
As far as I know..none of the 03A3 stocks had finger-grooves..however some of the 03 stocks had no finger-grooves either.

The stock being inletted for the handguard retainer is a dead givaway to an A3 stock.

Google '1903 Springfield stocks'..and there is a site with pics detailing the differences major and minor of the 03 and A3 stocks...there is quite a variety of differences and changes.

higgins
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
I've learned to never say never, though, especially when it comes to stock wood

Since I got interested in various military rifles, I've learned to never say "never" about much of anything!

shotman
01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
the 03A3 had a top guard that was 18in long
the 03 was 14 1/2 in long
there were many 03 A3s with a hounduras mahoney stock. they look like walnut but are softer and lighter
here is pic
this H M stock is stained to look like walnut but is soft and light . serial matches gun so know it was issue

rjathon
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
For long range competition shooting which is better, the 03 or 03A3?

Thanks,

Russ

lreed
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks, The Springfield stock looks like to be a whole new study,for me. I was curious as to the wood species as it was strange to me,Shotman I believe your explanation is the source of this wood, as it is in fact very light and on the soft side of walnut. The stock was acquired in group of castoff stocks, and I don't know the history of it.
I waited too long to get an interest in 03, and almost too long in an 03a3, expensive!!! Thanks again lreed

Ragnarok
01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
You see some plastic stocks too...however I think they are for drill rifles.

leadman
01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
rjathon, either can be used. The rear sight on the 03a3 is easier to set and with the peep on the rear receiver bridge the picture is usually clearer.

The rear sight on a 03 is a work or art, but it is a little more difficult to set for the different. There was a tool made by O'Hare specifically to make it easier to repeat you sight settings.

nicholst55
01-25-2012, 03:54 AM
rjathon, either can be used. The rear sight on the 03a3 is easier to set and with the peep on the rear receiver bridge the picture is usually clearer.

The rear sight on a 03 is a work or art, but it is a little more difficult to set for the different. There was a tool made by O'Hare specifically to make it easier to repeat you sight settings.

It seems like I saw where someone is making a modern equivalent of the O'Hare Sight Micrometer, but I can't recall the name of the company. They were rather pricey, as I recall, with a rather limited market these days.

wv109323
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
The sight on the 03A3 is considered better. On the 03 with the sight on the barrel ( about 8 inches in front of the shooters eye) you did not get the "aperture" effect.
If you use an aperture correctly it will magnify and clarify what you are looking at.
Make a pin hole with your trigger finger and look at your computer screen from a distance. Back away from the screen until it is difficult for you to read the text,and look at it through the aperture. You should notice the effect.
The sight on the 03A3 should be better for most marksmen because of the aperture and the longer sighting radius of the 03A3. However at shorter distances it would not be that much difference.
By changing to the 03A3 configuration the military considered it an improvement.

DCM
01-26-2012, 02:21 AM
For long range competition shooting which is better, the 03 or 03A3?

Thanks,

Russ

+1 on what wv109323 said. With iron sights the 03A3 is a better choice.

For a "vintage sniper match" the 03 is better due to the optics you can use to comply with the rules.