PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret vs. Cast turret

abunaitoo
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I have two of the regular Lee turret presses.
Was thinking of getting a Cast turret.
Anyone have both and can shed some light on why the cast might be better.

I use s Lee single cast for sizing and forming.

jvg5576
01-24-2012, 12:57 AM
I have one of each. Both work great.

IMHO, the spent primer catcher/disposal system on the Classic (Cast) Turret is worth the price difference alone. The ram is bored through the bottom allowing attachment of vinyl tubing (included) to direct the spent primers into a can, etc.

Pepe Ray
01-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I like them both.
The stroke is longer in the 'cast' so if you do much experimenting and sometimes use the stroke as a set point the difference must be accounted for.
I had a large investment in 3 hole turrets so I converted my 'cast' to a 3H also.
The spent primer resivoir is great but a member here told us of a simple fix for the 'original' T press and I'm happy w/that.
It seems to be much stronger, 'tho I'm not sure it's as rugged as my RC'er, Time will tell.
Because of the priming arm design there is a new learning curve to experiance but no biggy.
You'll make no mistake adding it to your bench.
Pepe Ray

Le Loup Solitaire
01-24-2012, 02:12 AM
The Lee 3 holer is a versatile and practical press. It can be upgraded to a 4 holer by using a simple conversion kit. The Lee (cast) Turret is a more modern version and comes with 4 hole turret capacity out of the box. The Turret (cast) appears to be "beefier", but has a definite advantage in the primer collection system....it has a hollow ram into which the spent primers fall and they are piped away into a can or jar if you wish. The old three holer deflects the spent primers into the base of the press and while the base will hold a lot of them, it eventually has to be emptied or a hole in the bench drilled to prevent them from overflowing/filling up. Both are strong...as strong as you will probably need for most reloading operations. LLS

geargnasher
01-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Mostly covered above, but I'll reiterate and add a few things.

The Classic has a much longer stroke which enables loading a lot more of the longer rifle calibers in auto-index mode.

The Classic has the best primer catcher in the Universe, as was said worth the price alone.

The Classic has a huge ram, with much better support through the iron base than does the regular turret and Pro-1000 base/ram setups, and since the ram stays clean of primer residue it should stay tight virtually forever with a few drops of oil now and then.

The Classic is much more rigid, not that it really matters much since the original design was plenty good.

The handle on the Classic can be adusted for length and angle as well as clocking, the clocking adjustments are much more precise, and I know of at least three places you can get roller handle replacements of different shapes for it, not so with the regular press. (Lee makes a roller, 1-in-9 Twist offers one, and IIRC Deltaenterprises makes a fine one too, Ben did a writeup on that one recently).

What's not to like?

Gear

gefiltephish
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Lathesmith makes a roller as well.

sabrecross03
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I have the cast turrent press and I can load .308 Win Rifle rounds. I'm not sure if the other can handle rifle rounds.

Ben
01-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Here is the post on Lathsmith's handle :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138142

jvg5576
01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
The Classic has a much longer stroke which enables loading a lot more of the longer rifle calibers in auto-index mode.

I measured approx. 1 inch longer stroke for the Classic.

garym1a2
01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
How may I ask to convert to 3 hole? When loading a short round that only needs 3 dies the fourth station and the extra length means more work and slower speeds.

I like them both.
I had a large investment in 3 hole turrets so I converted my 'cast' to a 3H also.
Pepe Ray

Pepe Ray
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
My son was using a 3 hole t'rt when he started reloading. So, before he got too deeply in hock w/ the 3 holers, I gifted him with a 4 hole conversion kit (still available) in exchange for his salvaged parts. Used his salvaged parts to convert my 'cast' to a 3 holer.
Pepe Ray

garym1a2
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
So I could find and old 3-holer and the parts will make a 3 hole out of a cast. This could work since I raily use the fourth hole.

My son was using a 3 hole t'rt when he started reloading. So, before he got too deeply in hock w/ the 3 holers, I gifted him with a 4 hole conversion kit (still available) in exchange for his salvaged parts. Used his salvaged parts to convert my 'cast' to a 3 holer.
Pepe Ray

geargnasher
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I just went and checked, the three-hole turret auto-index rod is about an inch shorter than the Classic, 4-hole press auto-index rod. You can put a three-hole head and turret on the Classic Turret, but I don't see how you'd make it an auto-index press unless you got two of the hex rods and precisely welded them together to extend the top part an inch and ground the welds to a flawless surface.

Gear

geargnasher
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Lathesmith makes a roller as well.

Here is the post on Lathsmith's handle :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138142

I didn't remember correctly! Thanks for clearing that up.

Gear

Dickenscpa
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I have the Deluxe, which is the non Classic cast, yet 4-hole out of the box. The primer catch can be aggravating, but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine. I have about 4 out of 100 bounce out. When the base fills up, you do have to remove from your bench and discard but it holds a lot of primers before you do that.

Deluxes seem to be in stock everywhere around my parts and I like to look at things and don't have the patience for ordering. I wanted the pro disc powder thrower for my Rockchucker single stage. My local haunt didn't have it in stock so they took one out of a Deluxe kit and sold it to me.

I hated using the hand primers, changing dies for every step, etc. Went back to the store and they had not replaced the powder thrower in the kit yet. They let me piecemeal what I wanted out of the kit and disregard the cheap fluff. I got the 4 hole turret press, safety primer setup for lg and sm primers and they put the rest on their shelves separately. Even adding in the amount I paid for the powder disc thing I was out $65 total. Can't beat that.

If they were sitting side by side I'd probably pick the Classic. Now that I have the Deluxe there is no way I'd sell it for pennies to "upgrade" to the Classic. I load .45acp. .45Colt, 9mm, .38spl, .380 and .243 in rifle on it. Each caliber has it's own turret. I do use two of the risers for the powder dispenser to clear the priming apparatus. Use my RC for my sizing dies.

I'd never sell my RC 'cause you can always use a single for something and it's built like a tank. The only way I'd let loose of the Deluxe turret is if I started shooting more than it could produce and went progressive.

I guess the Classic is made technically stronger, but can't imagine what you'd have to do to tear up the Deluxe.

Brad

Pepe Ray
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I can see that there is a LOT of A S S U M I N G going on around here.I am NOT
have NOT and will NOT use these little TURRET presses as automatics. They shine as a single just as they are. The major virtue of them is the value of never having to remove and re-adjust dies.
I have a Lee 5 station auto to do my mass production work.

I apologize for any misunderstandings. I try to answer a question as close to my understanding of it as I can. I have no crystal ball nor psychic powers.

I treasure my Lees. Also, I do not remember the name of the poster who clued me into the method of solving the used primer mess with the original press but I thank him AGAIN!!
Pepe Ray

mooman76
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I also use mine as a single stage. Not as fast as something production but it is faster than a regular single stage for work.

abunaitoo
01-26-2012, 05:27 AM
I've loaded .223 with auto working.
It's probably the longest shell that can be done.
Without the auto, Can load all the ammo I shoot.
Primer collection is not a problem because I deprime and size on my single stage.
I guess I'll just stick to the old turret and save money.
Thanks for all the info.