PDA

View Full Version : AR Muzzlebreak Question

wtfooptimax200
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Since I live in a state that does not allow flash suppressors on post-ban rifles, both of my ARs are equipped with muzzle brakes. My question is has anyone done a side by side comparison of similar ARs (in .223 of 5.56mm) with and without muzzle brakes? I am curious because I am thinking of building one for coyote hunting and was hoping that there would be a large reduction in muzzle blast by eliminating the brake. I know I would be very hesitant to shoot my current guns without hearing protection since they seem to be excessively loud (much more so than my 30-06, for example).

Thanks,
Branden

madsenshooter
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Branden, I often wonder about these things. I hate shooting next to someone that's got a brake on a 223. I don't see the reasoning behind one on a 223 as there's not a whole lot of recoil or muzzle climb to begin with. I guess it's a fad, something cool to say you got. They sure do a good job of sending a loud pressure wave at anyone who happens to be out to the side though. There would be a significant reduction in muzzle blast. Though I don't recommend it, and don't do it myself (I already have a permanent ringing in my ears), a lot of my friends shoot their non-ported 223s without hearing protection

leadman
01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
The brake redirects the muzzle blast back towards the shooter. Remove it and it will seem quieter to you. A set of the Sonic ear plugs with the valves in them are great to wear when hunting. You can hear normal sounds, then when you fire the valves close and reduce the amount you hear.
They are not as effective as regular earplugs but should be good for the limited amount most shoot while hunting.

kweidner
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
had one on an accurate as mess olympic arms. made the mistake of shooting a rabbit one day. sold it directly....

Duckiller
01-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Only way I can tell the difference between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake is by reading what the manufacture puts on the package. Other than in the alleged minds of California legislators' I don't believe there is any difference between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake on an AR.

leadman
01-25-2012, 03:10 AM
There is a guy here in Az selling a muzzlebrake as a brake/suppressor. Guess it would make a difference where you are standing as to how much noise you heard.

I shot my 6.5TCU in my Contender once without hearing protection. Do not want to ever experience that again!

KYCaster
01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
A muzzle brake and a flash hider are two totally different animals.

On a 223 cal. hunting gun or one used for casual target shooting a muzzle brake is not necessary since an extremely fast second shot isn't usually required.

If I shot high power competition (which I don't) I'd probably want a brake for the rapid fire strings.

Where a muzzle brake really shines is in the action games...USPSA, Three Gun Nation, etc. A properly adjusted muzzle brake allows quick follow up shots without loss of sight picture. It takes recoil completely out of the equation so that the accuracy of the second shot depends entirely on the shooters ability to control the shot.

Front Sight magazine, the journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association, has has some very thorough reviews and comparisons of muzzle brakes and compensators, but you have to be a member to subscribe.

Brian Enos forum would probably be a good place to look for info.

Anyone who shoots ANY firearm without wearing hearing protection is asking for permanent hearing loss. I have a severe case of Tinitis, I've had it as long as I can remember and at times It's difficult to deal with. Do your self a favor and protect your hearing and sight.

Jerry

rasto
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
KYCaster I completelly agree with your post.
I am an active sport shooter in IPSC discipline and I can not imagine to do it without an effective compensator.
Yes, I fully agree, that standing next to me is a pain but it is not my problem.
The judge is used to it because all sport shooters use it.

wtfooptimax200
01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
On a 223 cal. hunting gun or one used for casual target shooting a muzzle brake is not necessary since an extremely fast second shot isn't usually required.

I guess that is my answer....no brake on the hunting gun! Thanks for the help.

DCM
01-26-2012, 02:12 AM
If I shot high power competition (which I don't) I'd probably want a brake for the rapid fire strings.
Jerry

Unless there is a rule change I do not know about muzzle brakes are not allowed in Highpower.

Muzzle brakes are terribly loud and not needed for MOST of the applications I see them used for. Flash suppressors are a completely different animal.

bryonbush
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
ran a Surefire on my buddies gun and it helped with recoil a lot! but, like others have posted, it will blast your ears out if not prepaired. we were running some mil surplus ammo in his Larue OBR with the surefire and even with good ear muffs, it still rattles ya a little bit.