PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Sight Plane Length on Accuracy With Peep Site

wtfooptimax200
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
In theory a longer sight plane should make accurate shooting easier. My question is how much more accurate is it in the real world? Let's say for example I am talking about a Guide Gun and an 1895. The GG gives up 3.5" of barrel length to the 1895, but will I really notice the difference in accuracy with a conventional ghost ring sighting system?

Thanks,
Branden

runfiverun
01-23-2012, 09:11 PM
they are 45-70 leverguns i don't think a quarter inch will make much difference in your cooper shoot.

starmac
01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't the theory be the same for a lever as any other action.

btroj
01-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't know it you will notices or not. I can sure tell a difference between my 20 inch 30-30, my 24 inch 45 Colt, and my 16.5 inch 357. All are Marlins.

I went to a smaller front sight on the 357 otherwise the bead looked huge, and it was the same as on the others.
It never hurts to have a long sight plane. I also just prefer the looks and feel of the longer barrel. Not a guide gun fan at all.

Sure with I had a longer barrel on the 357.

Dirty30
01-24-2012, 12:51 AM
I have lyman #2 tang peep sights on a couple of Winchesters and really notice the difference in accuracy. I feel very comfortable out to 200 yds with my 30-30 now. I don't own a guide gun, but I would guess that you may find yourself more comfortable with a longer shot when hunting than just using the buckhorn sight.

Guesser
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a 16" 32 W.S. and a 444 Marlin 24". Put a cheap 5D on each, whata difference it makes for my 66 year old eyes. I also have a custom Winchester 94, 26", 38-55 w/Lyman tang sight. Tremendous difference in my potential to hit the long range targets. My first 22 rifle had a peep sight on it, I've been a believer since 1955, in aperture sights. They extend the sight radius and focus the eye/sights without even being aware of doing so.

Larry Gibson
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
From a pure accuracy standpoint the shorter sight radius will not give up anything based on the practical hunting range and game hunted with either rifle. However, as your eyes get older if you keep and still use the lever gun you will regret not having theat extra 3.5" of barrel and sight radii, has to do with being able to focus on the front sight. As we get older we get and appreciate longer barrels or we use scopes.

Larry Gibson

largom
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
That's why the old Kentucky rifles had long barrels.

waksupi
01-24-2012, 04:31 PM
That's why the old Kentucky rifles had long barrels.

Not really, that was more because of crappy home made powder. Needed the length to burn well.

JayinAZ
01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Also made nice clubs :)

stubshaft
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I have Ashley Ghost Ring sights on my Guide Guns and 1895's. I have not noticed any practical difference in accuracy with either one.

KirkD
01-24-2012, 10:15 PM
... as your eyes get older if you keep and still use the lever gun you will regret not having theat extra 3.5" of barrel and sight radii, has to do with being able to focus on the front sight. As we get older we get and appreciate longer barrels or we use scopes.

Larry Gibson
You bet! I 100% agree. I'm 57 and much prefer a longer barrel so that front sight can get out there far enough for me to keep it in sharp focus.

Boerrancher
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
You bet! I 100% agree. I'm 57 and much prefer a longer barrel so that front sight can get out there far enough for me to keep it in sharp focus.

Heck I am not quite yet 42, and it seems that my arms are getting shorter, because I can't hold things out far enough to keep them from being a bit fuzzy.

Best wishes,

Joe

1Papalote
01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
There is a list of accuracy improvements as compared to the type sight being used on the skinner sights website. Can t recall with complete certainty but I think the observation was made by Col. Townsen Whelen.

1Papalote

EdS
01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
FWIW, sight radius AND getting the front sight "out there" have worked extrememly well for smallbore target rifle shooters. Their scores during the metalic sight matches are frequently within a very few points of their score when using the SAME rifle equipped with a target scope. Someone came up with a barrel extender that many call a "bloop tube" (because it somewhat reduces the sound of the already mild standard velocity target loads) that can be attached to the rifle's muzzle to move the front sight 6" or more forward. I used one for several years in competition and can attest to how much better my eyes could focus on the front sight. Good Shooting, Ed

wgr
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
i did,nt see much difference until i put a post front sight on my rifle. but im shooting a 22in barrel.

Matthew 25
01-29-2012, 02:18 AM
I have an XS system on my GG. It is plenty accurate. It routinely puts 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 and it has done it at 200 as well (although not consistently). I can't compare it to a longer barrel, but I can't believe it can get much better. I do have young eyes compared to some of these old coots :)

Lefthandshooter
01-29-2012, 09:06 AM
I have a Skinner peep on my MArlin 39A and it greatly improved my accuracy. I'd do the sme with my 2 1894's (.357mag and 44 mag) but the son doesn't like them and he shoots them more than me.

Is a ghost site much different than a peep site?

G. Blessing
01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
I have a Skinner peep on my MArlin 39A and it greatly improved my accuracy. I'd do the sme with my 2 1894's (.357mag and 44 mag) but the son doesn't like them and he shoots them more than me.

Is a ghost site much different than a peep site?

Same thing actually. take the aperature disc out of the skinner and you have a ghost ring.... A ghost is shooting with the large ring instead of the small hole, and the ring blurs out to where you almost can't see it.

G.

TXGunNut
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm only 52 and the peep sight is the only way I can find a front sight these days, even have one on a revolver. Even had to modifiy the rear aperture on my Sharps (the drill press is your friend) a bit recently to appease my aging eyes.
I don't see much difference between tang and receiver sights but I like the looks of a tang sight, durability and ease of use of a receiver sight.