PDA

View Full Version : indexed mold - does it hurt the resale value

rosst
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
[SIZE="1"]Hi,

i have a problem i would like some help if anyone has the time . . .

just bought a mold on ebay which both cavities have a small hole punched on one side of the bullet, this was not mentioned in the auction description . . . now into discussion with the seller

[/SIhttp://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7905/180rcbsdimples.jpgZE]

my question is . ... what would a realistic price be for this mold in the US, any help would be very much appreciated

cheers

Walter Laich
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7905/180rcbsdimples.jpg

GLL
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I do not shoot this type of rifle bullet. Someone explain why both cavities are marked the same way! It would seem that each should have its own marking.

Jerry

swheeler
01-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Only one cavity should be marked, kind of hard to sort bullets for individual cavity now.

fishnbob
01-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Why not index it on the GC band where it would not show after seating the check? You could still sort the boolits and load them accordingly. I wouldn't want to mar the boolit just to tell them apart. I don't know if it would hurt performance or not but it would sure make it easy to identify if it ended up somewhere that it didn't belong!!!!!

stubert
01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
If the original owner idexed them like the picture, it probably has to do with orientation in the rifle when loading, not sorting. I wouldn't think it will affect accuracy, Is it a .311 mold?

littlejack
01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
stubert is correct. Folks index their boolits to allow them to see the "mark" when chambering the round.
I do this with my 45-70 Hiwall, bpcr.
I line up the "mark" on the boolit, with a notch in the case rim, and then I seat the boolit. Then I chamber the loaded round with the mark on the boolit at 12:00 in the chamber.
This allows the cartridge to always set in the chamber the same way, ( I only neck size) and for the case to always fit that particular chamber to the way it was reamed.
I believe a lot or most bpcr shooters do this.
Jack

rosst
01-23-2012, 09:29 PM
cheers Walter for putting the picture up . ..

i have similar thoughts as swheeler, only one bullet should have been marked, if that was the case i would'nt have a problem . .. but, two the same with a punch, a scratch on the bullet nose maybe . ...

yes it is a RCBS .311 mold similar to the Lyman 31141 which i have but with 4 driving bands which i wanted to try . . .

adrians
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
i have two ,double cav ideal molds what have been indexed but only in one cav per mold.
both molds give great boolits,, i like to think that if someone took the time to index them he or she probably kept good care of them too.
makes it easier for me to cast a bid if i think that way.
The " tit" can be thumb nailed off easilly enough.
i don't think it really hurts value if your happy with the results.

curious as to why both cavs though. :twisted::confused::evil:

Blammer
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
rosst, they sell them NEW at midway for $80 usd.

I'd say that mould should realistically go for about $50 or so, but I'm not sure.

adrians
01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
stubert is correct. Folks index their boolits to allow them to see the "mark" when chambering the round.
I do this with my 45-70 Hiwall, bpcr.
I line up the "mark" on the boolit, with a notch in the case rim, and then I seat the boolit. Then I chamber the loaded round with the mark on the boolit at 12:00 in the chamber.
This allows the cartridge to always set in the chamber the same way, ( I only neck size) and for the case to always fit that particular chamber to the way it was reamed.
I believe a lot or most bpcr shooters do this.
Jack
sorry wasn't paying enough attention :oops:, makes sense now.................

gandydancer
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
My dad had a double cavity mold by Ideal for his 38/55 HI wall the mold came with the rifle when he got it. He was told both boolits shot great and the marks where there so one could chamber the bullets the same way each time. I don't think it matters a hoot. I just shoot for fun.

mooman76
01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
In answer to the to the original question, I don't think it would matter all that much $ wise. I am sure you could work out some sort of compensation but I don't really know what could be considered fair for you. Maybe refund 1/2 or all of shipping?

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
I always lightly punch marked mine, even the SC, for rifle shooting.

With $4 a gallon diesel these days, it only makes sense to do so driving very far to the range. If you do four things that will cut a 10-shot group by .050" you have cut .2" off of your groups. Although I have not found it necessary with my NOE moulds in terms of sorting by cavity for dimension or weight.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Just as a point of information, one of the Marshal brothers did an excellent article in one of the Lyman Cast Bullet books. Marked his 311284 mold with a punch so that he could position the loaded round exactly in the same spot when he chambered each round (30-06). The groups that he shot were excellent. Wouldn't you know of course that Lyman attached to the article a disclaimer that stated that Lyman disapproved of the practice of marking the molds for indexing. Rhyme or reason unknown to me. If something innovative works for you and/or enables you to shoot better then you do it and hopefully share your information with your colleagues. LLS

rosst
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
the seller and i have come to an agreement, $20 refund which i am happy with . . . still, i would never have bought the mold if i knew of the punch marks, but, its done . . . mainly its about the seller taking some responsibility, i am funny like that, kinda old fashioned i suppose

thank you to those that answered my question, very much appreciated by me . . .

regards Ross

nanuk
01-27-2012, 03:29 AM
now take a carbide scribe and make a second dimple immediately above the existing one in ONE of the cavities, so you can index it and keep them both separated.

best of both worlds.

you can easily ignore a double teat as you can a single teat

Bret4207
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Several of my moulds are marked, mostly by me. It does no harm done correctly- a slight dimple.

TCFAN
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I do this with all my molds that are used for bench rest shooting. Each cavity is marked different. It does make a difference in group size when everything is indexed to the dies and the chamber of the rifle...................Terry

rosst
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
i will give it a try . . . i would'nt have otherwise but i will have an open mind about it . . . there is a part of me that thinks having a dimple ( however small ) on one side of a bullet spinning at tens of thousands of revs per minute is'nt going to help get good groups, you'll get good groups in spite of them . . ..
luckily i have some necked turned cases, probably need a tight match chamber, better dies, better relaoading gear . . .. and i wll be ale to say ' it all started because of a secondhand indexed mould '

cabezaverde
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I have been thinking about marking one of the cavities of a 358429 I own. The weight difference between the two is about 4 grains.