PDA

View Full Version : COAL issues with 45ACP Lee 452-230-2R

HangFireW8
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi all,

As an experienced reloader, this problem is a little embarrassing, I know the "usual" answers but they are not working- that is, try a different die, using a separate crimp die after the seater die on my progressive.

The issue is this. Since these are FMJ look-alikes, I'd like to load them all to 45ACP max COAL, 1.245". I can get them longer, no problem, where the crimp ring sits on top of the uppermost TL band. But when I set it to the "correct" OAL, the crimp pushes down on the top of the uppermost driving band, and sets the bullet back .010" or more.

Yeah, I'm a perfectionist. The 1.230-1.235" COAL cartridges will probably feed and work fine. If I dial back the crimp, the loaded case mouth diameter is about 1.273", has a definite edge to it, and seems like it will hang up on feeding. I like to taper it down to 1.269" for a nice smooth transition and easy feeding, while leaving the rest of the boolit unmolested so it fills the bore.

Whatever the OAL or crimp is, they don't suffer from insufficient boolit tension.

I've tried applying a little bit of crimp on the seating die and the rest of the crimp on the final die, but no luck. I'm using a standard Lee 45 die for seating, I've tried both my Lee Speed die (remember those?) and my Lee FC die for the final stage, with exactly the same results. I've also tried swapping the Speed die for the standard Lee seating die for initial seating.

The boolits are LLA lubed. I have some other dies I could try like RCBS 45 Colt.

Any ideas? Anyone else run into this? It's like it is messing with me, the COAL responds very nicely as I dial it down to the desired depth, until I get below 1.250", then it suddenly jumps down to 1.230-1.235" as the crimper starts shoving it down.

-HF

DLCTEX
01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
The Max OAL is a suggestion and your gun may need something else. It's been a while since I loaded any RN boolits. I think they crimped in the groove, but possibly not, as I just seat and crimp where the barrel and gun tells me to. It works for me. I prefer the 200 gr. SWC and it likes about 1/16 th in. showing above the case mouth for fit and function in my 1911.

HangFireW8
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
The Max OAL is a suggestion and your gun may need something else.

You're right, I used to have an off-brand 1911 that liked COAL as long as possible, so I've gotten in that habit. But I don't have that gun any more. I'll have to shoot in my current gun with this load to find out what it likes.

It's been a while since I loaded any RN boolits. I think they crimped in the groove, but possibly not, as I just seat and crimp where the barrel and gun tells me to. It works for me.

Good point. Down to 1.235" the headspace check in the disassembled barrel (famous pic circulated here often) is fine. Under that and the back of the case starts to drop below flush with the breech, but 1.230" is still manageable.

I prefer the 200 gr. SWC and it likes about 1/16 th in. showing above the case mouth for fit and function in my 1911.

That's my preference too, and it uses less lead. My MiHec 45-200 mold is a joy to use. However I have a pile of these TL boolits I cast a while ago, and I'd rather shoot them than remelt them.

-HF

Grandpas50AE
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Are you using a taper-crimp die? If so, set it to crimp the outside diameter at the mouth to just remove the bell, say at .470" and it won't be squeezing down on the front of the driving band anymore. For semi-autos that headspace on the case mouth, just removing the bell to bring the case mouth back to original dimension is all you really want. Most of my round nose are seated at a length of 1.262" for my 4 Kimbers, so you may be able to seat further out than what you are now.

HangFireW8
01-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Are you using a taper-crimp die? If so, set it to crimp the outside diameter at the mouth to just remove the bell, say at .470" and it won't be squeezing down on the front of the driving band anymore. For semi-autos that headspace on the case mouth, just removing the bell to bring the case mouth back to original dimension is all you really want. Most of my round nose are seated at a length of 1.262" for my 4 Kimbers, so you may be able to seat further out than what you are now.

Thanks, I guess I need to experiment with some different OAL's and case mouth diameters and see what still feeds. I have enough boolits.

My previous 1911 was just so finicky that I found once what would work in that, those loads would work in anything, but I don't even own it any more, so maybe I just need to loosen up a little.

-HF