PDA

View Full Version : Thumler Tumbler Repair

mtnman31
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Is there a commonly available drive belt or suitable substitute for the Thumlers Tumbler other than their factory replacements? I'm hoping for something better and cheaper, preferably something I can pick up at a local store and not have to mail order at 5 bucks for belt and 5 bucks for shipping on something that fits into an envelope.

I couldn't find a belt locally and I was going to mail order one but got fed up with everyone trying to shaft me on the shipping for a rubber belt. Any ideas before I resort to weaving a new belt from horse hair?

Bent Ramrod
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Take the old belt to Wal Mart and check it against their display of vacuum cleaner belts. You will wind up with a lifetime supply of belts for a few bucks.

plainsman456
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Is it a belt or an o-ring?
If an o-ring I pick them up at the local auto parts store.

milprileb
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I tell you what does not work... buying a few spares and they harden up before I need them.
The T. Thumbler of mine is going strong and is nearly 40 yrs old. Yeah... old technology now but mid 70's it was the Ducks Guts ! THey are not cheap now which amazes me.

Anyway, I am all ears on belt solutions but I know of no other replacement belt part that will work.

MGySgt
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
+1 on the vaccum cleaner belts - I think I used a Hoover belt on mine!

midnight
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
The belt on my Thumbler is round. Bought it for $25 at a pawn shop and it had rubber bands for a belt. I went to a store that sells sewing machines and got round belts there that look like big O rings. Cost a buck apiece.

Bob

LUBEDUDE
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
+2 on the vacuum belts - even Lowes carries them.

milprileb
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
What size & model of vacuum cleaner belt ?

MGySgt
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Can't remember - measure the distance around the wheels for the drive belt and get one just a tad smaller.

They come in plastic bags and you might have to buy 2 or 3 different sizes until you get it right. You don't want it too tight, you will wear out the nylon bushing the rod rides in.
Dont ask how I know! :(

LUBEDUDE
01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Now you're going to make me admit on a public forum that I wasn't smart enough to write down the part number or keep the package or even go back and buy a back up.:killingpc

I just took the old belt in with me and compared.

Good Luck and save the package.

Bent Ramrod
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
My package from Wal-Mart says "C2007 Healthy Gain Investments, Ltd. Distributed by Hoover Inc. Part 38527-003. Fits Eureka Upright Models 600, 1400, 1900, 2000, 2100, 4000, 5000 and 6400 Series." But when I bought it I just matched the old belt to the sizes as seen in the package. My Thumler's has a round belt; looks like a fat O ring.

Recluse
01-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I used vacuum cleaner belts and found I was going through them at a rate that made ordering from Thumler a lot more cost effective. The vacuum cleaner belts (Hoover) were crumbling, shedding rubber, etc and making a helluva mess--plus, they'd break after about forty to fifty hours.

As infrequently as I need to change/replace belts--and my Thumler runs almost constantly non-stop--I just order two or three at a time, keep them in the package and replace when needed.

When I broke it down to how much I paid to have Thumler ship them to my door, how infrequently I needed them, how long theirs lasted versus. . . going to the hardware store or Chinamart, how often I had to change them, the mess they made, it made a lot more sense, and cents, to just buy from Thumlers.

:coffee:

hiram
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
There was a belt made for key machines. It was yellow. Material was plastic looking. Cut to length, heat the ends, and stick together. Done. I can't remember the name--might have started with an 'S'.

cajun shooter
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
For the amount of use you receive with the standard belt I don't feel that putting a rubber o ring is worth it. I had my first model B in 1970 and only went through one belt in 15 years.
I'm still on my first belt after 4 years and I use my thumbler at least 3 times a month as that is the number of matches fired with BP.
The new belts don't throw black dust like the old belts did and they appear to have a very high wear factor.

shotman
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
If you get the measurement and order a VINTON O ring it will last the rest of your life

mold maker
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
You can also buy 0 Ring material by the foot. It comes with a jig to cut and glue the ends. Your local auto parts should have the popular diameter material in stock.

MW3840
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I bought 3, 2 packs of Eureka Belts (#52100A)at Meijers 4 years ago for $2.27 a pack. I bought what they had as I also thought I would be going through a lot of belts like I did with the Hoover belts that I could no longer find. I've only used 1 belt so far, and use my Thumlers quite a bit for large amounts of brass.

mtnman31
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks, gents. This is just the info I was looking for.