PDA

View Full Version : Another Buffalo Classic question

Rayc384
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
I have a newer BC and it has a larger bore than one I had in the past. I had some luck with the Lee .459 HB, but managed to cast and lube a couple hundred that were too hard, and they patterned badly. I want to shoot a solid base bullet, so I am wondering if anyone has tried the Ranch Dog bullets in .460. I need it to be accurate out to 200 yards.

I wish they had stayed with the old dimensions, on that one it would shoor .454 bullets well. I guess time marches on.

calkar
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi Ray, I dont mean to hijack, but I just sent my handi-rifle receiver to be fitted with the 32" 45-70 barrel so I was wondering if you are able to measure your front sight height for me. I am going to have to order a lyman 17a and dont know what height I need? I will be useing it for highpower silhouette to 500m. Thanks

Shooter
01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Go with the lowest 17A made, and the Williams Fool Proof peep with the target knobs. You will need the elevation.
Mine shoots best with the 500 Gr. Lee.

cajun shooter
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
My rifle shot groups that became a single large hole at 100 yards and moved to 2 or so inches at 200 with the Saeco 745 mould block. While it sells for about $95 from Buffalo Arms it was my most accurate bullet.
I used 68 grains of Goex Cartridge with a .30 vegetable wad over the powder and compressed the powder until the bullet could be seated in the case with no lube grooves exposed.
The mould dropped bullets of .460 with my 20-1 alloy.
I pan lubed them with NASA lube.
That rifle does need a Mercury or other type of recoil reducer and if you don't anneal your brass you will never have good groups that are there every time you pull the trigger. Take Care David

Rayc384
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Calkar, the rifle comes with a 17AUS which is too high. It is discussed at Graybeard`s forum. A better choice would be 17AHB. For some reason peep sights are not working for me. I probably am thinking about it too much. I just do not see a circle and then I can`t find the center. Right now I`m doing my best with open sights, go figure. I`m shooting at 200 yards and I am happy there.

Texantothecore
01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
RAyc384,

If you are colorblind or shade blind the targets printed in red or green may not work at all for you. This has happened to me and it is a bit weird. Apparently your and my eye do not see a circle in the red or green spectrum and the answer is to use a black and white target. With that modification my shooting changed from awful to very accurate.

I just tape a normal piece of printed paper over the range targets and I am fine. An amazing difference.

EDG
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Calkar, the rifle comes with a 17AUS which is too high. It is discussed at Graybeard`s forum. A better choice would be 17AHB. For some reason peep sights are not working for me. I probably am thinking about it too much. I just do not see a circle and then I can`t find the center. Right now I`m doing my best with open sights, go figure. I`m shooting at 200 yards and I am happy there.

I cannot see well through the very smallest rear apertures. I do best with one at about 1/16 diamter.
The smaller holes gives me a furry chicken egg shape when I look through them. Probably due to astigmatism.

wgr
01-26-2012, 01:56 AM
mine shoots .460 good out to 200yards

Rayc384
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
At least I found out that I am not alone when using peep sights. The Ranch Dog bullets have arrived from Carolina Cast Bullets, so now to get them loaded up, using Trail Boss. I`ll let youknow if they work out.

calkar
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys!
Ray, one of the great things about peeps is that you only have to juggle two things instead of three like a blade and notch. Your eye will automatically put the post in the center due to that is where the most light is. I believe like EDG says you should try a larger aperture, unscrew the current one and try it without an aperture like a ghost ring.

DLCTEX
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I cast the RD 350 and 420 boolits for a fellow member's BC and he prefers the 350.

Rayc384
01-26-2012, 09:03 PM
About 5 years ago, I wasable to use a larger opening, but now didn`t help, and I was worrying too much about, just where is the center of this lopsided egg.

Now I do my best work with a flat top rear sight and a post front with a six o`clock hold. Most of the shooting I`m doing is CAS and 200 yards shooting. So I am happy.

Rayc384
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, today I tried some Ranch Dog bullets, cast by Carolina Bullet. They were 350 grains and showed some promise of greater things. I will probably buy the 420 grain mold that Ranch Dog recommended.