PDA

View Full Version : Register a semi-auto M1919A4?

Jamesconn
01-23-2012, 10:09 AM
I found a parts kit minus the reciever for the M1919A4 in .308 or 30-06 but when I saw the FAQ on another page when looking for recievers it said you had to register semi auto builds.
I thought you only had to register **** in California and NY

Ed in North Texas
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe that if you buy a manufactured semi-auto receiver (with a Serial Number) which has been run through an FFL's books, you do not have to "register" the semi-auto. That would be the same as buying a serial numbered receiver for an AR or FAL and using a parts kit to build a rifle on the receiver. But if you put together your own receiver from parts (much easier with those MGs which have a riveted receiver than it would be for most rifles), then you will have to file the paperwork and pay the fee to "manufacture" a firearm. Same would be true for a bolt action rifle. It is not the same as a Class II NFA weapon registration.

rockrat
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
If you build the gun as a semi, and use an 80% semi only side plate, you do not have to "register" it, nor do you have to pay the "manufacture" fee as its for personal use.

Now, CA or NY might be another story.

Everything you want to know is at 1919A4.com

justashooter
01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
agreed that any 100% finished 1919 type sideplate will already be a "gun" in a legal sense, and will need to be transferred thru an FFL. any 80% or homemade sideplate is not a recordable item, and can be made into a functional 100% semi plate and assembled to the parts kit to create a functioning semi-auto firearm by any "non-prohibited person" as long as it's configuration is not considered subject to NFA 1936. this is true of gun building, in general, no matter what kind of kit, or scratch built. full auto/ SBR/ SBS/ NFA is another essay...

certain states may have statute prohibiting manufacture of certain classes of weps. in maryland, for instance, it is interesting to note that the statute prohibits the "transfer" of AK style "assault weapons" without payment of a special tax and submission to a special waiting period and investigation. the statute, however, does not specifically address "manufacture" or "possession" of said items...so we can assume that the maryland legislature never contemplated the possibility that any ordinary joe would be able to "make his own" assault rifle. loophole enuf for me.

additionally, there is no impetus in federal statute (or in any state statute that i am aware of) that requires a home made firearm to be marked in any way at all. comercially made guns are required to be marked with mfr's name, city, state, and a unique serial number by statute; this for taxation purposes. an atf opinion letter urges the marking of homemade guns in same manner before they "enter the chain of interstate commerce", but this is just an opinion letter, and even ATF opinions are like *******s....

MtGun44
01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
If you make your own receiver, you have made your own gun and in the free parts of the
US, as far as the Feds are concerned, you must stamp a SN on the receiver but no paperwork
is required as long as you are not 'engaging in the business' of manufacturing firearms.

As said, if you buy a finished receiver, then you bought a gun and have paperwork if from
a dealer new.

Bill

Ed in North Texas
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
agreed that any 100% finished 1919 type sideplate will already be a "gun" in a legal sense, and will need to be transferred thru an FFL. any 80% or homemade sideplate is not a recordable item, and can be made into a functional 100% semi plate and assembled to the parts kit to create a functioning semi-auto firearm by any "non-prohibited person" as long as it's configuration is not considered subject to NFA 1936. this is true of gun building, in general, no matter what kind of kit, or scratch built. full auto/ SBR/ SBS/ NFA is another essay...

snip

A day without learning something is a wasted day. Thanks for the 80% sideplate info, I must confess I barely get past knowing there is such a thing as a sideplate and some MG receivers are riveted.

My experience in building is limited to FALs and Coonan receivers. Not being any sort of machinist, and not having any machinery past a cheap Chinese drill press, I've never contemplated making a receiver. As such, I've never confronted the issue of whether paperwork is needed for making your own receiver. Now I know, but I'll likely never need the knowledge except to pass on to someone else.

Ed

scrapcan
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
The kicker with the "making your own receiver" is the for your own use clause. As long as you do not sell said firearm you are ok. Once you sell it the rules change.

MtGun44
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Selling ONE is not a problem. Selling TWO is probably not a problem.

At some point, you can be accused of "being in the business".

Bill

machinisttx
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
If you make your own receiver, you have made your own gun and in the free parts of the
US, as far as the Feds are concerned, you must stamp a SN on the receiver but no paperwork
is required as long as you are not 'engaging in the business' of manufacturing firearms.

As said, if you buy a finished receiver, then you bought a gun and have paperwork if from
a dealer new.

Bill

There is no requirement to stamp a serial number on a firearm manufactured for personal use. BATF recommends it, but it is not required.

justashooter
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Not being any sort of machinist, and not having any machinery past a cheap Chinese drill press, I've never contemplated making a receiver. Ed

trust me, Ed, you can convert an 80% sideplate into a 100% sideplate with a cheap chinese drill press.

shotman
02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
you may find that if you sell it and its used for a crime you ar$$ is in hot water
you may not have converted it but someone can and they said they got it from you > ATF only play their game in sending guns to mexico
here is a real story.
Colt on the early AR 15s didnt have a block to stop the sear from being used . Sarco sold a "jig" that you could drill the 1/8in hole for the sear pin. Ok buy the jig and the parts and drill the receiver and you had a full auto M16 .
Old buddy done it and he died , wife called and wanted me to look at his guns so she could sell them
I saw the pin in the AR and told her you need to get rid of that receiver. Was a shame to mash a colt but I got a replacement and she still got good money out of gun