PDA

View Full Version : The Misnamed Cartridge.

Hickory
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
The Misnamed Cartridge.

There are some cartridges that start life the way they should, as a need for a certain application or to fill a particular niche. Most new cartridges are to increase velocities of an existing cartridge. Case in point, 357 magnum over the 38 special. Another would be the 44 magnum over the 44 special. These longer and stronger cases were developed to increase the velocities of the slower, but adequate cartridge. To not only increase the range, but, the killing power of the new round as well.

Almost all cartridges “grow up” as time passes and need increases. The 38 S&W started life in a weak break top action. And evolved into the 38 special when stronger actions and better metals were developed. It was only a matter of time until the 357 would come along as the need for a faster, more powerful cartridge was realized. And not to be ignored, the 357 Maximum, that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. This is the proper progression of cartridge development. The 357 magnum would not have been well received with the first break action pistols. With it blowing up every time you pulled the trigger.

So, let’s get to the point of the misnamed cartridge, and why I think it has been sent out into the shooting world on an ego trip. This cartridge is the 32 magnum. Now don’t get me wrong, I like the 32 magnum. I have 5 of them, but I think when H&R along with Federal developed this case for the fairly weak H&R action, they had to keep the pressure low enough to keep the guns together.

In my humble opinion it should have been named 32 special. Because it is special, in that it is more powerful than the 32 long. By misnaming the 32 special, the 32 magnum, it throw off the natural sequence of case/cartridge development. So, when the 327 Federal came along, its birth right was already stolen from it. And now the true 32 magnum will have to spend its existence incognito with an assumed name of 327 Federal.

Ragnarok
01-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think the .38 S&W has much in common with the .38 S&W Special except developement my Smith & Wesson. Not like they borrowed any dimensions or anything from the case or bullet. Neither compatable with the other's chamber dimensions.

I will buy your theory on the .327 Federal though....Perhaps they should have named the round ".32 Federal Magnum"..or ".32 Maximum"....something like that.

I just got a 'proper' .32 H&R Mag a few months back....previously using the .32 mag in Nagant revolvers. The S&W Model 16-4 is a far superior platform to shoot the .32 mags from!

I'm not even interested in the .327 Federal...probably because I ain't got one.

MT Gianni
01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
IMO, the 32 Magnum was named such by H&R to prevent banckruptcy by selling a lot of guns. It failed to do so.

JayinAZ
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
The .32 Special name was already used.

Ragnarok
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
The .32 Special name was already used.

This is true!...The .32 Winchester Special...

Perhaps something like .32 Federal Express...but this might lead folks to believe it's a large game cartridge..

I recall an artical in some old gun-rag..the artical named 'Caliber Confusion' or something similiar.

The artical detailed some of the old and modern cartridges names...and what the actual physical caliber of the bullets/guns were..plus the various manner cartridges are named by...most cartridges are mis-named after a fashion.

David LaPell
01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
The .38 S & W and the .38 Special are not really that well related, since they have two different bullet diameters. The .38 S&W is .361 and the .38 Special is .357 which is why some folks have issues when they get ahold of a converted Victory resulting in some split cases and some accuracy issues.

Mohillbilly
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Yes and the 38 Colt has the same diameter shorter case , but used a larger diameter heeled boolit too . That is a closer cousin . I have also heard of some that shoot 38 special in the long Colt . One would figure that it might go Kaboom as the old steel is not as good , but the bore size is so loose the .357 dia. slug rattles down a .40 bore . the other way around ( long Colt down a strong 38/357 gun) would most likely go it if would fit in . Hickory I agree you .

NickSS
01-25-2012, 06:56 AM
To be precise the 38 special was developed from the 38 long colt which was developed from the 38 short colt. Both the 38 short colt and long colt used barrels of nominally .363" groove diameter. The short colt used a heal type externally lubed bullet. Colt made the case longer and switched to an internally lubed bullet with a hollow base to sell their gun to the Army as the Army did not want external lubed ammo. Then the Army found out that the 38 long colt was not a reliable stopper for a drugged up morro tribes man swinging a bolo knife. and moved back to the 45 cal. S&W to sell its new model pistols needed a new cartridge that worked with the smokeless powder of the day and found that they needed to make the 38 colt cas a bit longer for that purpose and to handle the 158 gr slug they wanted to use. Thats how the 38 special came about. It had nothing to do with the 38 S&W which by the way Colt called the 38 Colt new Police and loaded it with a flat point bullet. I have a 1913 vintage colt police positive in that caliber.

grendelbane
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM
The "Special" designation for a cartridge has a definite meaning. It means that the cartridge is suitable for loading with both black and smokeless powder.

Now, you could load a .32 with black powder, no problem. But I don't think there is a huge market for such cartridges.

gunfan
01-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Yesterday, I purchased a S&W Model 632 Airweight Hammerless chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum. The 1 7/8" barrel reads "Airweight/.32 Magnum. This is one of S&W's revolvers from the early 1990's that was placed in consignment at a Portland, Oregon gun shop.

I am going to enjoy this finely crafted, American-made "life preserver." The trigger stages well for target shooting, yet it also can rack off three double-tap series of shots as smoothly, and quickly, as you please.

Nomenclature is a marketing ploy, we all know this. I wish that they had named the .327 Federal Magnum the .32 Federal Maximum. This would have evoked an image of raw power, without confusing the general public about the revolver's bore diameter. :-|

Scott