PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby MkV Dangerous Game rifle sights.

Four Fingers of Death
03-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I am about to rebarrel a M17 Sporter to 458Lott. (I'll get it completely checked out first to see if it's up to it).

What I would like to do is use a set of the above sights. They look 'hell for stout!' as Teddy would have said.

Has anyone used these? I had a pic somewhere, but can't find it.

James Wisner
03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Check your PM's

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks, I've got a bit on my plate at the moment and will get the project going asap. It the sight you mentioned the one with a lock screw on the sliding broad V sight and what looks like a knurled allen bolt laying on it's side acting as a knurled adjustor? That's what I fancy, it looks hell for stout.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Temp%20Photo%20parking/ctm_dgr_big.jpg

Nobade
03-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I just had one of those rifles in the shop to work on. I had to replace the lock screw in the side, it's very small and easily stripped. The owner had broken the end off and I had to get it out and fit a new one. At least it's a 6-48 so I had a lot of them to choose from! But I don't really like the sight. The lock screw forces the blade to the left, and the front sight has to be drifted quite a ways over to compensate. For a DGR I would much rather use something like CZ has on their Safari rifle, one solid chunk of steel for the point blank sight with flip up blades for the longer ranges. Or even better a small reciever sight like the NEGW one that bolts on where the rear scope base goes.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Shucks, out with the file:(

Looked too easy, just buying sights and plonking them on. :D

I have been humm-ing and haar-ing about calibres. Set up for 458, but have no rifle at the moment. thought the Lott would be nice and I could use the 458s for practice, have several 457 moulds. A straight 458 would be the obvious, easy and cheapest choice, most smiths have 458WM reamers.

I then found the 375Ruger, realllllllll impressed with it, but my usual barrelmakers don't have reamers at the moment and the usual deal here is you spring for half the cost of the reamer.

Confuseddddddddddddddd!

Mick.

waksupi
03-29-2007, 10:23 PM
We use a lot of NECG sights on our dangerous game rifles. VERY good visibility, but expensive.
The only drawback, I think the rear sight has too many parts, and a folding rear may be better. But the front sight, is the cat's meow. The front is similar to what you show, with a LARGE bead. Excellent sight acquisition. You need to know bareel diameter dimension, to order the proper size, and then will still need to do the final fitting

Four Fingers of Death
03-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the info. The project won't be going ahead for awhile, I'll have a sniff around and find out what about out here. Mick.