PDA

View Full Version : BP Measure or not?

dziamski
01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
I am reloading for a Sharps 1874. Right now the loads I am shooting are 108 grs of GOEX 2FG behind a 535 gr Postell Boolit. Just wondering if a Measure is worth it or should I just continue wieghing and dropping charges? Thank you for any help.

Bent Ramrod
01-22-2012, 11:55 PM
It kind of depends on you and your abilities and outlook. Some people, who are very good shots, insist they can see the difference on target between weighed and thrown charges and so weigh every one. Others who are equally expert shooters say it is more effective to throw the charges, as minor variations have no effect and it speeds up production and allows the more time and ammunition for more practice and improvement of scores. You can wade through some of these discussions on the BPCR and Shiloh forums if you are interested.

At this point I have dropped the practice of weighing out charges. Instead, I throw charges into a scale pan and use all that weigh plus or minus a half grain or so around the charge I want. I see no differences on the targets I shoot at, but of course I am not a world class shot either.

Sooner or later, I hope to develop my powder measure technique to the point where I don't need to check weigh every charge (I can already do long strings of charges that are very close together in weight) and ultimately I hope to just be able to just set the measure, throw the charges and use the time and ammunition to refine my holding and trigger control.

r1kk1
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I like my measure. Occasionally I will weigh the powder charge to see how the measure drops and any changes in humidity, etc. I just wish the brass hopper was big enough for several pounds since some cartridges I load have a huge appetite.

take care,

r1kk1

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-17-2012, 03:28 AM
the old Belding Mull is hard to beat. The MVA copy is even a bit better, especially if you buy the brass 1lb tube. I have put mine to good use, especially with my hungry 470 NE double rifle.

Rich

cajun shooter
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
If you stay shooting the Black Powder rifle then a measure is worth it's cost in a short time.
I have two dedicated BP measures, one the RCBS and the other the Lyman 55 with the metal powder reservoir and brass drum. Both have given me great service.
The Lyman 55 does have 3 adjustments that are marked so that you may repeat a certain load.
The RCBS has a brass stem that has lines that are close to being 10 grains of markings but it is harder to set back to a previous load.

r1kk1
02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I use a Quick Measure for it.

take care,

r1kk1

jonk
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure where the idea came from originally that you need a different powder measure for black powder, but search for 'static electricity black powder' and you'll see that electric charges do NOT set off black powder; you need to create heat to do so.

I read that a lot of guys now just use their regular measure and then settle the powder with no ill effects.

Think about it, it isn't the plastic or metal in your dispenser, or you wouldn't buy black powder in plastic or metal cans, would you?

That said, a lot of people still swear that such is the case, so make your own call.

Personally I sometimes use a dispenser, but usually just use dippers as I rarely reload black powder cartridges.

montana_charlie
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if a Measure is worth it or should I just continue wieghing and dropping charges? Thank you for any help.
I use a bench-mounted measure because I have it. It is a common Redding measure, not a BP-specific unit.
If I didn't already own the tool, I would use a scoop-type measure.

Both meter out a controlled 'volume' of powder which you can dump in the case ... or weigh on a scale.

For the scoop, I would pour into it until full then strike the top, rather than dredge through a bowlful of powder.

Consistency is a matter of technique with both styles.

CM