PDA

View Full Version : Those no drill mounts for the NO1 MK III

brstevns
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Has anyone tied one of these and how well did it work for you.

PAT303
01-22-2012, 08:03 PM
I tried one,it shot rubbish and then fell off.The only one thats any good is the one Fultons in the UK sell but it's way overpriced. Pat

brstevns
01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
I tried one,it shot rubbish and then fell off.The only one thats any good is the one Fultons in the UK sell but it's way overpriced. Pat

Do you recall the brand you had?

JeffinNZ
01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Do you really need a scope? If you can get by with an aperture then try and find one of the many SMLE compatible sights that do not require alteration. Not cheap now but they really are very good.

leadman
01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
I had an S&K brand on a #4 MKI and it was a good mount, other than the height of the scope when mounted. Should have had a leather strap-on cheek pad to help out. I also have a S&K on a Swiss K-31 that is solid.

S&K sells good stuff for what I think is a high price, but you get what you pay for. I bought an off brand for a Mosin-nagant and had a terrible time getting it mounted solidly.

wellfedirishman
01-23-2012, 02:19 AM
I tried an ATI brand 'no gunsmithing' mount for a No.1 Mk III and it fell off within a couple of shots. Even with good tight screws and lots of loctite, it would not hold at all. Waste of money.

adrians
01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
i managed to get a Rawson aperture target sight for mine (ausrtralian, iirc).
Central ,,,PH,,, also offered great sights but be warned the don't come cheap.
had to sell the kids to get mine[smilie=1:
(btw that ugly allen screw has been replaced with one i had scott at obsolete screws make me.)

:twisted::coffeecom:twisted:

Ed in North Texas
01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
i managed to get a Rawson aperture target sight for mine (ausrtralian, iirc).
Central ,,,PH,,, also offered great sights but be warned the don't come cheap.
had to sell the kids to get mine[smilie=1:
(btw that ugly allen screw has been replaced with one i had scott at obsolete screws make me.)

:twisted::coffeecom:twisted:

The days of even the Fool Proof aperture sights being inexpensive are long gone. Haven't seen a $5.00 Williams sight in forever.

My kids are too old to sell. [smilie=1:

Don't see an Allen screw anywhere on the sight. Maybe a Phillips?

egg250
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I have one on my SMLE. It popped off within the first 5 shots. I used a dremel tool and grinding burr to make 2 dimples on the loading bridge where the torsion screws bite. It now has 80 rounds on it with no shifting.

adrians
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM
"Don't see an Allen screw anywhere on the sight. Maybe a Phillips? ".

yer your right Ed,
i meant phillips not allen :groner:.
i get them mixed up all the time,,, ugly looking thing ,,, wasn't it,.?
have a good -un.:evil:[smilie=1::twisted:

brstevns
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Do you really need a scope? If you can get by with an aperture then try and find one of the many SMLE compatible sights that do not require alteration. Not cheap now but they really are very good.

eyes are getting pretty bad. I have wonder about those little peep sight blades that Numrich ( Gun Parts Inc.) sells